Couts - finally hitting potential or playing way over his head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couts - finally hitting potential or playing way over his head

I'll eat crow if his output lasts for a good chunk of the season, but I can't help but think he's gonna be the same stone handed, plodding, uncreative player closer to sooner than later.
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

We seem.to.forget he is 24 since he has been around for so long.

Comment

He's not doing things that I look at and say "that's not going to last." He's not making insane passes and sniping corners to boost his numbers in a fluky way.

He's getting a lot more ozone opportunities, he has better line mates, and his hands around the net appear marginally improved. I don't see any reason he can't continue in this fashion or improve further.
      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

They're not gonna put 8 up against everyone..and especially not teams like the Caps...

I like Coots...but this is 5 games...folks need to temper...

he had a 3 point night against WAS and a 2 point night against ANA, that's 5 of his 6 points in 5 games....

Let's try and Coots to 20 goals and 50 points before we start making declarations about his arrival...

My biggest fear is that the organization is developing another Richards...a guy who will hit a huge high that he can;t repeat and will be destroyed by the weight of trying to be everything...instead of being great at a few things.
        Last edited by Rev_Bully; 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
          He's not doing things that I look at and say "that's not going to last." He's not making insane passes and sniping corners to boost his numbers in a fluky way.

He's getting a lot more ozone opportunities, he has better line mates, and his hands around the net appear marginally improved. I don't see any reason he can't continue in this fashion or improve further.
          of the three on his line, the other two are obviously going to attract more attention..and maybe that was the big plan...teams are going to worry about Jake and G a lot more than Couts..as such he is benefiting from this..much like Joni Pitkanen benefited greatly from playing along side Desjardins..or LeClair playing with Lindros

but at least he seems to be taking advantage of the opportunities this year

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

Agreed.

Look at his 5v5 stats historically, he's always been at a 2nd-line level, he just couldn't score on the PP. AND if you look at his 5v5 corsi he's always been 1st line or around 1st line levels afaik. 5v5 he's been similar to jake/giroux or outscored them 5v5. Look at last year, ES scoring: Couts 14g18a=32pts, Giroux: 9g18a=27pts, Voracek: 15g23a=38pts. And couts was a comparative +27 vs giroux and +36(!!) vs voracek. Best 5v5 player on our team looking at all contributions. When we had the jake-simmonds-couts line 2 years ago it was scoring regularly at 5v5. So more offensive zone starts and better linemates than last year should only boost those totals. If you're making up 5v5 lines, just look at 5v5 play.

I've always thought it was more mental than anything with couts. He doesnt have kovalev hands or insane speed, but more importantly he seems loathe to take any risks in the offensive zone that will turnover the puck. You can play with more risk in the offensive zone, and if you turn it over trying to make a play so be it imo. Thats that 'big-body' jake/simmonds/couts line worked well for him... they just cycled the puck until there was a breakdown, it played to his natural tendencies. I kind of see G and Jake rubbing off on him now a little bit, where he's sniffing around for scoring opportunities a bit more, hungrier in the offensive zone, expecting the quick play now instead of holding it afraid to turn it over.

We shall see! better to have 6 pts than 0 pts It takes 10 games for the season to settle it. I think we had a high energy training camp and thats why we appear so much faster than the other teams... they will catch up tho.

Comment

They play on the same line, and yet Couts already has a +/- lead. Not a coincidence.

Couturier: +8
              Giroux: +1
              Voracek: +1

Comment

Biggest issues for him the last couple of years has been his health. If he can avoid injuries and stay on a line with G and V for the season, his stats will be incredibly good.

Comment

I think for the firtst time in his career here, he has some legit linemates,instead of guys that are just above the journeyman level.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
                    They play on the same line, and yet Couts already has a +/- lead. Not a coincidence.

Couturier: +8
                    Giroux: +1
                    Voracek: +1

+4 WAS (3 pts)
                    -1 NSH (0 pts)
                    +3 ANA (2 pts)
                    E LAK (0 pts)
                    +2 SJS (1 pts)

So we're left with two games fueling Coots' great early numbers...again...not trying to bash Coots...just saying we're 5 games in and, half of his points and phenomenal +/- are the result of a single, unexpected blowout...might not be the kind of data to draw any conclusions from...

Comment

Working...
                    X