No announcement yet.

Couts - finally hitting potential or playing way over his head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we should allow this to play out the way it will play out. The pro-Couts and anti-Couts gangs should not read anything into what we have seen. As Anth said, this is 5 games (being pro-Couts, i'd have said the same thing to anti-Couts comments if he had no points in 5 games).

I'd say the same thing about the rest of the team. Let's not get ahead of ourselves...instead, enjoy any successes we see and understand that there will be some bumps in the road along the way. This team is better than what we had last year...we just need time to understand how good they are and what we need to be a real competitor in the East.

Comment

What I have really liked about his game so far this year is he is going to the net, and picking up (and mostly finishing) the garbage from opportunities created by G and Jake. He has also been distributing the puck well. Overall it seems the team this year is driving the net more, and shooting more from high chance locations like the slot rather than the point. If he stays healthy for the year I think 50+ pts is easily achievable for him.

Comment

on this note...i think we have to temper our expectations from Patrick..kid is probably going to be overwhelmed his whole rookie season..understandable

Comment

Is Couts a power forward?

Comment

Career season high in points, at mid season. Top 15 in nhl in points. Been showing some nice touch on a lot of the goals. Hard to call him stone hands at this point.

Comment

So.... Where was this ability in the past? I'm excited about his play, but man I'm still befuddled as to how he sucked hard with the puck until this year.
              "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Playing third line and being coached to think defense first, vs playing with first line talent, and being coached to let loose and score?

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
                  He's not doing things that I look at and say "that's not going to last." He's not making insane passes and sniping corners to boost his numbers in a fluky way.

He's getting a lot more ozone opportunities, he has better line mates, and his hands around the net appear marginally improved. I don't see any reason he can't continue in this fashion or improve further.
                  I think this has been borne out. With more opportunities in-game, and more confidence, I think his hands have continued to improve even from earlier in the year, but it's still not fluky or dumb luck.
                  "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

I think this has been borne out. With more opportunities in-game, and more confidence, I think his hands have continued to improve even from earlier in the year, but it's still not fluky or dumb luck.
                    Agreed. He still doesn't have the best hands, and probably could have another 6-8 goals on the season. His hockey smarts more than make up for that however. Really happy he is doing so well!

Comment

Anyone who saw him at the world's could see how different he was with talent. In that tournament that line was one of the best and Couts had over a point a game. Matt Read and the third line will do that to anyone lol. He's finding his touch. Awesome.
                      Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X