RIP Gord Downie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Gord Downie

I know that there are other Canucks on this board. I wanted to send out my sympathies to the Downie family and all Canadians for our loss. Not sure if there was another Canadian who impacted Canadians the way Gord Downie did. May he rest in peace.

RIP... his suffering is over finally.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gord...tion-1.4359917
    Last edited by Tim Kerr #12; 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM.
    Philadelphia Flyers #1
    Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
    The rest of the 28 teams can KMA!

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450
      I know that there are other Canucks on this board. I wanted to send out my sympathies to the Downie family and all Canadians for our loss. Not sure if there was another Canadian who impacted Canadians the way Gord Downie did. May he rest in peace.

The top sports radio station in the country FAN 590 had a lot of Gord Downie talk and The Hip music being played all day long.

Lot of talk about how intertwined The Hip and hockey in Canada were/are.

I was never the biggest Hip fan, loved the first four albums or so then after that I was like meh on them. He was an incredible storyteller and performer.

But certainly canít deny the talent of that man or that band. Also his courage over the past 18 months while coping with the inevitable ...

He will be missed.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All due respect and just curious, what made him such a significant Canadian icon, over other well known singers?

Comment

I think Gord's ability to allow his lyrics to tell stories that are representative of folks living in small town Canada made him and his band special.

if someone were to ask me for my best Canadian musical artist of all time, without any hesitation I'd say RUSH. But if the question were best representation of being a Canadian, the Hip would be it.

Comment

I've never heard of him or the group.
            RIP, regardless.
            "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450
              I think Gord's ability to allow his lyrics to tell stories that are representative of folks living in small town Canada made him and his band special.

if someone were to ask me for my best Canadian musical artist of all time, without any hesitation I'd say RUSH. But if the question were best representation of being a Canadian, the Hip would be it.
              Not only that his lyrics could paint a picture, he used different words, phrases, and arranged them differently, than you would hear in a rock song.

Def agree ... RUSH is actually my all time fav band ... RUSH and the Hip are very similar in some ways and yet very different.

To any Americans who want a quick primer on Gordís storytelling, listen to ĎFifty Mission Capí... and listen to the lyrics and then read about Bill Barilko. Gives me goosebumps just typing that.

When he announced last May that he had terminal brain cancer he and the Hip did a 16 city cross Canada tour. The last show was held in Kingston, ON, in an OHL rink basically - 6000 people there.

The concert was broadcast live on the national broadcaster CBC (home of Hockey Night In Canada) on a Saturday night in the summer ... it was watched by 11.5 MILLION people across Canada. Which may not seem like much to Americans ... but the population of Canada is only almost $30 million ... there were viewing parties across the country ... it was quite the event .

Again Iím not the hugest fan but I certainly can appreciate the unique talent he possessed and how popular and important he was to many Canadians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup he was an icon up here in Canada. Like the others have said, his ability to tell stories through his music that related to small town Canada were unique. He was a hell of a performer as well and one of the best live acts I have seen (I've seen a lot). I think one other aspect that made the Hip such an icon in Canada is actually their lack of success outside of Canada. It kind of made them "our band" that Canadians appreciated and when you heard them you knew you were home in Canada.

Comment

Some of the more popular Hip songs (my favorite is Grace)

Comment

The hip are soo Canada.... brilliant artists and humble at the same time. For American friends watch the story Secret Path on YouTube...an incredible respect paid to our indigenous people and one of our nations best kept ugly secrets.
                    RIP Gord. You have touched sooo many of us in so many ways. You will be remembered for ever up here.

Comment

Working...
                    X