No announcement yet.

RIP Gord Downie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really think a big part of the Hip's success and popularity up here stems from the fact that they were never able to break out in the US or internationally. They tried for a few years... where they toured in the US and even appeared on SNL in the mid 90's but they could just never quite catch on. They could sell out the Air Canada Center a couple times a year, but at the same time if you were lucky enough, you could catch them in a small theatre or even a bar on occasion if you were in the right place at the right time in the States. So for me, a big part of what made them special was that they were ours. No doubt there are much bigger and more successful Canadian acts that are well known around the world, but I think what makes the Hip Canada's greatest band is that they are Canada's band and nobody else's. Like this great, really well-kept secret that we've only let a few good friends in on if they happen to live near the border or upstate New York.

We've lost a lot of great musicians in the last few years but this one really stings.

Comment

One of the best Ever. Rest in Peace Gord...Thanks for the music!

Comment

When I was getting ready to move to Canada from the States, my then-girlfriend gave me a tape of Up To Here and said "If you're going to be Canadian, you start with this."

True enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit
          When I was getting ready to move to Canada from the States, my then-girlfriend gave me a tape of Up To Here and said "If you're going to be Canadian, you start with this."

True enough.
          A tape

Heheh

Did you play it in your Sony ‘Walkman’?

Man we are getting olddddddddddd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Was in line at a store today and a tween was actually listening to a discman. Quite surprising

Comment

Originally posted by Strohs72 View Post

A tape

Heheh

Did you play it in your Sony ‘Walkman’?

Man we are getting olddddddddddd

My car still had a tapedeck!

Actually, up until my current car I had one. My old Jetta lasted long enough that it could almost vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit

My car still had a tapedeck!

Actually, up until my current car I had one. My old Jetta lasted long enough that it could almost vote.
                My wife’s current 2005 Honda Odyssey has a tape deck in it that for years we used a tape deck adapter to play music through speakers with an iPhone lol

The van has 260,000 km on it and still running great, no rust, and not much maintenance required in the immediate future ... plus the kids love the Tv lol

Comment

Working...
                X