Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 10 Games

Wow. 10 games.

Reading social media, you'd think this team was expected to go undefeated - especially after the last two losses. If you were a Flyers fan that relied on the opinions and hot takes of others to keep you up to date you'd think Hakstol was a drooling idiot, our goal tending absolute trash, our defense go nowhere, and our forwards lackadaisical except for Couturier...who in the immortal words of Val Kilmers Doc Holliday...is "down by the creek, walking on water."

Let's start with the comment that will get the worst reaction...

1. Sean Couturier has looked great in the first 10 games of the season. He should. He's playing with 16m+ in line-mates. Claude Giroux has ceded the 1C to him for reasons unknown (other than the absolute need to make Couturier an offensive weapon.) But it's only been 10 games. As wonderful as these 10 have beene...there will be 10 where he posts 2 goals and 3 points and a -5. Will those 10 be equally meaningful? Will they point to how he's ill-suited as a 1C...no, and they shouldn't.

Couturier has started out strong..he needs to maintain...that's always been the knock. He can give you points in bunches but he can also go cold...oh so cold..

2. The blue line is young, going to make mistakes and going to put the team in a hole from time to time. They don;t miss Andy MacDonald. That they've lost the first two game played since his injury is not an indicator of value or need. If they win the next 4 does it mean they doubly don't need him? They only need him against teams who play in cities that start with a vowel?

All in all our D is showing exactly what we expected.

3. Dave Hakstol is a good coach. He makes some curious decisions..but every coach and every player does. What gets lost the most in criticism of Hakstol is that he has roughly 2 dozen players to choose from..that are, in the end, Ron Hextall's decision. Teflon Ron escapes a lot of criticism for the decisions this club makes..but gets a ton of praise when things go right. If you lived thru the end of Clarke's first tenure and any of Clarke's second go around..this should be familiar - AND SCARY.

Hakstol is a college coach, who you have to believe was brought in because this team is turning over. Perhaps what we have all missed...and Hextall in his genius has seen from the get go. Is that like College...you don;t start out with a squad of freshman and go chasing National Titles. We've got guys like Gost, Provorov and Laughton who make up the upperclassmen...then you have kids like Konecny and Weal that are kind of mid-classmen...then you have the rookies/freshman...Sanheim, Patrick, Haag..

Next season, Konecny and Weal...will join the Upperclassmen...the rookies, start advancing to the mid tier..and a new group of a couple kids roles in...and in the course of 4 or 5 years you've rolled over the better part of the roster....in an organized way that simulates in some respect how a college squad transitions..

The Dave Hakstol who's team got blown out buy Anaheim...is also the Dave Hakstol who's team destroyed the Capitals. You shouldn't ignore one and play up the other...

4. The goalies. ****in-a, the goalies. If you need proof that Social Media Fandom hides a level of fanboy/girl squee behind jargon..it's the goalies, man.

Elliott sits at 4-2 with .876 SV% and 3.33 GAA
    Elliott allowed 2 or fewer goals in 3 of the 4 wins. And 3 or less in all four.
    He posted SV%s of .914, .913, .913 and .958

In his two losses he has allowed 6 goals each. The Nashville game was a bad game for Elliott. The Anaheim game was a bad game for the team, and especially the young D.

Neuvirth continues to be Neuvirth. It's funny tho because for the previous two years many of the voices demanding more icetime for Neuvirth...were busy making every argument, no matter the level of ridiculousness, to keep him out of the net.

...and of course as the Flyers goalies lose games..people pine for the likes of Steve Mason...(see that squee comment above)...last night against Ottawa was no exception.

The story of the game..was that the Flyers were being exposed for going bargain basement by Ottawa's superior goaltender...Craig Anderson. Neuvirth had given up 3 goals in the first. It was a great hot take...look at the baddies! Of course by the end of the game..Neuvirth had given up 5, the hot take on goaltending - had however gone cold. Anderson had officially surrendered 4 of his own...with 2 more being denied on replay. The great Anderson had escaped with a W...and looked everybit as human as Neuvirth or Elliott.

..and yes, fans still grouse about giving Neuvirth a 100% raise, or chasing the cheap Elliott. The combined cap hit of Elliott and Neuvirth is roughly 1 million more than Winnipeg surrendered for Steve Mason at 4.1m. Mason who is 0-3-0 with a .846 SV% and 5.98 GAA. Mason has allowed 16 goals in 141 minutes of play this year. Anyone complaining about goaltending...is probably a bad source for information.

5. The team after 10.
    Has won 1 more game than after 10 last year, and have 1 more point.
    Has scored 1 fewer goal. 34, last year 35.
    Has allowed 9 fewer goals. 29, last year 38.
    Has a goal differential of +5, last year -3.

This year the Flyers PP is lsightly worse compared to last year after 10 games.
    The PK and FOW% are slightly better compared to last year after 10 games.

Things are good. Not great. Good.

The Flyers after 10 are on pace for a 40-40-0 season,last year 11 teams in the NHL failed to win 40 games. The Flyers were one of them. Projections after 10 games are silly (Yes, even the Couturier ones) but if the Flyers can find away to win 40, and pick up some losers points in those 40 losses...it's a recognizable step forward with a team in transition.

I'll chime in on point #1. Its pretty clear you are not pro-Couts. That is not to say you are anti-Couts...you just want to allow things to unravel before buying in on his offensive abilities (please correct me if i'm wrong).

I think the decision to move Giroux to wing was not about propping Couts and allowing him to be surrounded by the teams best offensive players. I feel the decision was more about finding a way to get Giroux to be Giroux again and hopefully allow his body to not breakdown as much. If Patrick was more ready to take the reigns, i believe that they would have given him the 1C role, but he will need a season or two before he take over that role.

You mention his production in the first 10 games and throw caution to the wind by saying fans need to wait for the 10 game stretch where he gets 3pts and is a -5. I'd have to counter this and say that the best players in the league have stretches like that...so for Couts to not have such a slump would make him a future HoFer. I think seeing him go through a 20 game portion of the schedule where he is not putting up numbers and not noticeable in the offensive zone would be the real indictment of who Couts really is.

But in the meantime, don't hope for failure (as i do for Manning in order to allow Morin a chance to get to play). We need Couts to succeed and our team is a better team when he is performing as he currently is.

Comment

I'm neither pro nor anti Coots, you are right. I would prefer to wait and see him develop.

For me it's not hard to believe Coots hits 30 goals this year. It's also not hard to believe he gets 8 more all year (for a variety of reasons).

I'm not hoping he fails, only pointing out he's in a ridiculously good position to succeed.

Part of the reason the 2nd line is so wonky is all of the talent crammed on the top line, we may have solved a problem by creating one.

And yes Patrick eventually eases that a bit as he develops...it will be curious to see how the top 9 is built when Patrick comes in to his own and what it does to Couturier

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Remember how good Coots looked in the World's when he actually had some talent to play with? He put up over a point a game. He's got brutal hands but he's showing signs of what he's capable of. Matt Read is terrible and he was stuck with him forever.
        Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

So next year..

Giroux - Coots - Voracek
          ????? - Patrick - ??????
          ????? - Laughton - ?????

And I'm not even looking up the cap but that first line has to be 20m...

Good thing we won't have expensive young Dmen to re-up...oh wait...but Wayne's locked up, right?

I'm not anti Coots, I'm not anti G on the wing...**** I wanted the second for years..

I want to know how the rest of the team maps behind that top line...because it's not the best use if talent or cap $$$

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rev_Bully; 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

For this team to succeed, we don't need to have Giroux, Couts and Voracek playing on the same line. Why can't we see something like:

Giroux - Couts - Konecny
            Simmonds - Patrick - Voracek
            Weal - Filppula - Weise
            Leier - Laughton - Raffl

TBH, I'm not a big fan of the 3rd line here...maybe switch Raffl with Weise.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
              He's got brutal hands but he's showing signs of what he's capable of.
              Serious question, is there a top 6 forward in the NHL with worse hands than Couts?

I've never seen a guy in my life with the inability to go high as badly as Couts. Every single shot is 6-12 inches off the ice. Dude looks like he shoots with broken wrists....

For as good as his ES production is, he must miss 10+ "gimmie" goals a year....

Comment

He should practice with Briere for a month lol
                Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
                  He should practice with Briere for a month lol
                  Seriously...that is a skill that can be learnt/improved with practice. He should spend an off-day with Danny B and take shots from two feet in front of the net at different angles and roof'em. Every shot he flubs, push-ups. This is not the hardest thing to improve upon. His foot speed would be something we need to accept and move on with. But the shot can be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                    For this team to succeed, we don't need to have Giroux, Couts and Voracek playing on the same line. Why can't we see something like:

Giroux - Couts - Konecny
                    Simmonds - Patrick - Voracek
                    Weal - Filppula - Weise
                    Leier - Laughton - Raffl

TBH, I'm not a big fan of the 3rd line here...maybe switch Raffl with Weise.
                    I know it's only 10 games, but the way Wiese is playing should get him a ticket to Lehigh Valley.

Comment

Working...
                    X