Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gudas gets 10 games

http://www.tsn.ca/gudas-suspended-10...slash-1.920060

"Gudas was initially offered an in-person hearing for the incident, but declined, opting to plead his case over the phone.

During Thursday's 3-2 loss to the Jets, Gudas received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for slashing Jets forward

over the back of the head in the right corner of the Flyers' end. Gudas and Perreault were among the six players battling for the puck along the boards. Perreault knocked Gudas' helmet off and Gudas then responded by tripping the Jets forward and slashing him over the head as he returned his stick to the ice.

After the game, Perreault said Gudas did apologize, but he does not believe the contact was accidental.

"He got the meaty part of the neck," said Perreault, who returned Thursday after missing 12 games with a lower-body injury. "It could have been worse, I guess.

"He apologized in the penalty box, but when you look at the replay, it looks like he did it on purpose. It wasn't an accident. He's been known for doing stuff like that, so I certainly don't appreciate it. I'm sure the league will take care of it.""

Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Morin maybe?

Comment

He certainly deserved what he got due to previous incidents and what looked purposeful. I will say though, (hopefully not being too homer-ish here) I do see a difference between a guy like Gudas, and someone like Matt Cooke when he was still playing. For Gudas, I don't think he ever intends to injure or hurt anyone. He is simply too reckless and doesn't know how to turn it down a notch. It's different from someone like Cooke, in that you can tell his suspendable actions were clearly with intent to injure.

regardless though, it shouldn't have happened, and now both he and the team have to pay the price.
      "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
        He certainly deserved what he got due to previous incidents and what looked purposeful. I will say though, (hopefully not being too homer-ish here) I do see a difference between a guy like Gudas, and someone like Matt Cooke when he was still playing. For Gudas, I don't think he ever intends to injure or hurt anyone. He is simply too reckless and doesn't know how to turn it down a notch. It's different from someone like Cooke, in that you can tell his suspendable actions were clearly with intent to injure.

regardless though, it shouldn't have happened, and now both he and the team have to pay the price.

I'll never forget that shift in the 2012 playoffs where it was like Cooke was skating around looking for vulnerable skaters on the Flyers to deliver headshots on.

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

I actually agree. I think he's a guy who likes to play on the edge and sometimes crosses it. It's not that it's ever unintentional so much as maybe he doesn't realize how dangerous some of what he's doing is.

I can't believe the amount of people I've seen on social media trying to say this was unintentional. It's one thing to think the refs used the replay to call the penalty (they clearly did), and another to understand that this is the right call. Extremely dangerous play that absolutely had intent. I'm completely fine with the length of the suspension.

Comment

A loss of over $400,000 should have a big impact on motivating Gudas to be more responsible. I really like the way he plays, and hope he can still play tough. But just want him to be smarter.

If Morin gets his chance and shows that he is capable of playing in the show, Gudas' penalty might be bigger than just the loss of $$$. He might be on the outside looking in following the suspension.

Comment

When I first saw the play while watching the game, I thought it may be unintentional. But looking at the replay a couple of times, he clearly knew what he was doing and was trying to make it look like an accident. Now, he didn't come down with the stick as hard as he could have, which is fortunate because it could have caused serious harm. But he most definitely used his stick on a vulnerable player and deserves the full 10 game suspension. He's either going to learn his lesson this time or be looking for a new career soon. I do agree that he's not necessarily an intentionally "dirty" player like Cooke was, but what he does is sometimes quite filthy. Purposeful or not, it makes him a dangerous player and it's not something you want to see in this league.

As far as Morin, I believe I read that MacDonald is ready to return tomorrow night. So we're probably not going to see Morin. I'd personally bench Manning and bring up the kid...from what I've seen, Manning's game has been mostly bad this year despite his 3 goals. He makes bad pinches and is out of position too often. Quite a few odd man rushes have been his fault. From a positioning and decision making standpoint, I don't think a rookie like Morin could do much worse. So let's see what he's got.
              Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

heh, gudas is never going to be scratched. maybe traded, but he's too valuable to sit.

he's clearly trying NOT to get suspended like that. you could tell his frustration immediately. he's atleast trying to change, even tho i dont think he meant to do that.

Comment

Working...
                X