Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eklund on Simmonds

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Given/1/89150

[QUOTERon Hextall is not someone to make knee jerk decisions but from what I am hearing over the last week, the Flyers' super-secretive GM is a little more willing than at any point until now to listen to teams who might be priming to make an offer on Wayne Simmonds.

Until very recently, everything seemed to be heading to Philly re-signing Simmonds to a multi-year extension after this season that would basically take him through the rest of his career. Now it seems at least a little more feasible that the Flyers will listen seriously to offers and wind up trading him... and his value is higher now when there's still a season left on his very reasonable contract for a two-time 30 goal scorer than it would be a year from now.

A source told me "it is not a given" that Simmonds stays in Philadelphia long term. Right now, the asking price to acquire Simmonds would be high. My source believed, based on discussions about comparable players, it would land in the ballpark of a first-round pick in a deep 2018 Draft (Philly already has two first-rounders in the next draft, their own and St. Louis') and a young NHL roster forward with top-nine upside or a higher-upside young forward with lesser draft pick compensation.

More to come...][/QUOTE]

I know the origin but this does have me wondering, Simmonds would be in fairly big demand right now and has a nice contract that teams would find easy to add to their payroll for what he brings. He's been injured and we are not a contender with only one line so I wonder if Hextall would move him for the right package? I know Montreal was interested in him in the past as their forwards lack grit and toughness with nobody going to the front of the net regularly. I doubt they have the assets though. Kind of a possibility.
    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

If Montreal were to be a dance partner, I'd be asking for Galchenyuk and their #1 to start. I might even ask for their 2019 #1.

The starting point that Eklund mentions is a weak starting point, IMO.

Comment

Why are you posting Eklund bullsh*t?!?!

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
      If Montreal were to be a dance partner, I'd be asking for Galchenyuk and their #1 to start. I might even ask for their 2019 #1.

The starting point that Eklund mentions is a weak starting point, IMO.
      Because of Galchenyuk's somewhat shanky production and his cost, Id definitely want Montreal's two firsts, though I'd be willing to toss in a solid prospect with simmonds.

i think that'd be a terrible decision for Montreal though. They need those firsts BAD.
      Last edited by ELab2; 11-25-2017, 09:31 PM.
      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Sam Carchidi had a similar article on philly.com today about Hasktol and Simmonds futures with the Flyers and he's also suggesting that if things don't turn around in a few weeks, that we replace the coach and look to trade Simmonds.

Comment

why would signing vs trading hinge on if we make the playoffs this season? that doesnt really make sense.

Comment

Charchidi doesn't really lay out any reasoning behind his theory. The only thing I can think of is that this group of vets has been given plenty of opportunty to win, and that we should trade high while we can and go with a full blown youth movement.

Comment

Originally posted by LOD108819 View Post
              Charchidi doesn't really lay out any reasoning behind his theory. The only thing I can think of is that this group of vets has been given plenty of opportunty to win, and that we should trade high while we can and go with a full blown youth movement.
              i've been arguing to trade two of voracek/giroux/simmonds for a while.

the reason to keep the vet forwards is to a) get into the playoffs and get that experience for the kids, which is an important part of building a winner. b) maybe if the stars align the young players mature fast enough that they are good while the vets are still in their prime and we can contend then. however if a) and b) arent gonna happen then you're leaving assets on the table with no benefit. my only goal as a fan is to win a cup, not just to get to the playoffs.

the problem is i'm not sure we could come close to replacing their production. finding true first line caliber players isnt easy. we need blue chips back, we can't just trade em to trade em.

however, imo we're not at the point where a) and b) arent going to happen. a lot of our players look good, we're just dealing with a lot of inexperience on d. the road will smooth out.

Comment

We need a damn goalie.....Maybe one of Stolarz or Lyons is going to be good....But we need a top flight goalie. I say if we trade Simmonds we throw in one of our D prospects and get a top goalie. Not sure who or what would be out there but if we had a goalie who could actually maybe win us a freaking game...or stop a shootout shot.....We might have a chance. I know its not entirely the goalies fault but how many times do we have a 1 or 2 goal lead for a softy to be let in and then the team just crumbles....Attribute alot of that to youth but we NEED a damn goalie we can rely on once in awhile!!!

Comment

Personally, that kind of package wouldn't be of interest to me for Simmonds. I think he is worth more than that due to his contract.

That said, I'm not interested in trading him. I suppose I can understand the idea behind the rumors right now, that his extension could prove too costly and we'd be better off getting a mega package for him... but I don't feel like that idea Eklund proposes meets the standards of a mega package that I think we should be able to expect.

Comment

There's no "need" to trade Simmonds until NEXT year's deadline..he's got another year on that ridiculously affordable contract...

people are trying to figure out how to snap their fingers and mkae this club a cup threat..

the process requires patience..we're still a few years away from being a force...

Comment

Working...
                    X