#FireAlmostEveryone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polar bear View Post
    I was reading this yesterday and had so many thoughts about it...
    " Look for the-bear necessities, those simple bear necessities..........forget about your worries and your strife" ----------Balou.

Comment

Funny how so many wanted anyone big and tough gone. Now most are begging to have someone who can exert some physical. Balance. Always stressed it. Got fed up defending it. Think maybe my stance might not be so offensive anymore. Haha.
      I've always been on board with you Polar, but in fairness you do have to have a mix. That's the problem, there is no mix, we have a majority of ballerinas now.

Comment

This game has always been played best when itís played they way it should be. Skill and speed combined with physical play and outright spontaneous violence. .

The players get charged up when the intensity is there. When rivalries and hatred of other teams exist. When a guy on your team fights a gated rucal because he did something or....just because heís a hated rival. Everyone gets a little wood and the game just became that more intense and important.

No different as a fan. I want to se the skill. The speed. The saves and great plays. But I also want to see a team that hates the other team and you can see it with fights, hitting, and just plain distaste for those guys in the other uniform. Thatís what the game was about and made it great.

Sadly thatís gone. Itís so vanilla and unentertaining But hey. Many wanted that. Take the characters and blue collar out of the game and hereís what we get.

Not a fan.

Comment

This game has always been played best when itís played they way it should be. Skill and speed combined with physical play and outright spontaneous violence. .

The players get charged up when the intensity is there. When rivalries and hatred of other teams exist. When a guy on your team fights a gated rucal because he did something or....just because heís a hated rival. Everyone gets a little wood and the game just became that more intense and important.

No different as a fan. I want to se the skill. The speed. The saves and great plays. But I also want to see a team that hates the other team and you can see it with fights, hitting, and just plain distaste for those guys in the other uniform. Thatís what the game was about and made it great.

Sadly thatís gone. Itís so vanilla and unentertaining But hey. Many wanted that. Take the characters and blue collar out of the game and hereís what we get.

Not a fan.
          100%

And I'll add one other thing to your comment (which will likely piss people off), but a coach has a part to play in all of this as well. Lavy was the last guy who was able to charge this group up, and get some "balls to the walls" hockey out of them.

"We need to start playing with some JAM!" ....."It's about as casual as it gets."

Berube and Hak are like two mutes behind the bench. One guy spent his entire time chewing ****ing gum, the other staring into space like a moron. Here's an idea, SAY SOMETHING. Do something!

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

100%

And I'll add one other thing to your comment (which will likely piss people off), but a coach has a part to play in all of this as well. Lavy was the last guy who was able to charge this group up, and get some "balls to the walls" hockey out of them.

"We need to start playing with some JAM!" ....."It's about as casual as it gets."

Berube and Hak are like two mutes behind the bench. One guy spent his entire time chewing ****ing gum, the other staring into space like a moron. Here's an idea, SAY SOMETHING. Do something!
            I think that the biggest thing is that hockey is supposed to be entertaining and this team is not entertaining to me at all. Hextall can talk about how the league has changed, but the Flyers fan base hasn't changed and I want to see some hardcore hockey that's going to want me to go buy a ticket, watch the whole game on TV and root for this team. I can't take it, I'm losing interest. Hextall can take the patience route and that's fine, but in the mean time, I need to see some fire behind the bench and some passion on the ice. Other wise, I'm starting to become a casual fan.

Comment

For all of Laviolette's hooting and hollering...where did the team end up?

Lavy's actually an interesting character to look at...I'm working on something I might get finished this weekend...

Lavy's hockey was fun in hindsight but the Flyers lost a lot of games because of the system...

There's no perfect coach...

...and he totally botched Carcillo's value to a club.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Seeing Carcillo's name made me wonder (and please bear with me) ... what can anyone sum up about Goulbourne? I've only seen a little of him playing, and the rest is merely the boxscores from AHL games.

I see people talk about Aubť-Kubel as a potential near-term future Flyer, but on stats production I haven't seen it. A-B has just become a 0.5ppg player in an AHL season; Weal was consitently over a 1ppg player in the AHL and seems to be struggling to be more than a 0.25ppg player longterm in the NHL. While I have seen the references to A-K's speed, skill, and 'size' (I guess he packs a 'solid' 195lbs onto only 5'11"), I've not noticed anything that makes me think NHLer with him; so is there something that doesn't show up in the statlines?
                Though not at a ppg pace, Leier was a good point producer in the AHL and described as a plus-skating, though smallish, smart player. I've liked the little I've seen of Leier (I get to see very few games this year because of work), but I ultimately wouldn't rely on much consistent NHL offensive production from him. Though I do see the fourth-line & PK'ng roles well suited for him as a continuing NHLer.
                I remember people penciling Fazleev into possible Flyers 2018+ rosters. While over 6'1", he is lighter than Aubť-Kubel, and -- with his unimpressive skating -- looks like he hasn't made the transition well from WHL to AHL. Are there intangibles there that give him a future?

So such thoughts get me to Goulbourne. Can anyone describe what he offers at this point in time? (No, I no longer care where he went in the draft!).
                I can see his roster profile of 6'0" and 200lbs. I can see his stats: in his 20+ games this season he's gone on to become a plus player (+5, well better than Fazleev), and has only three minor penalties (6PIM, one of the lowest on the team for a regular player). In the games I have seen him play he can really skate(!). Admittedly there's no significant offense but, if I wouldn't expect it at the NHL level, does a lack of it at the AHL scare me away? What has AHL production really done for Weal or Leier in the NHL (or, limited opportunity, for Martel)? Rinaldo never had much AHL production, and that didn't seem to factor in his getting to nearly 300gp in the NHL; Rinaldo's problem was not being stupid but instead being smart to play within his role. I remember all of Rinaldo's efforts to try to make himself a PKer, but ultimately parts of his brain didn't connect or would short circuit. I also remember Goulbourne getting off to a decent start offensively in the AHL years ago and it ultimately got him derailed from his role and ending up in the ECHL. So he's made his way back from that and plays regularly in the AHL now (the scoresheets often show his line starting games). Is he smart? Does he learn? Are there any significant intangibles with him? For example, has he learned to kill penalties?(is there a good source anyone can suggest for AHL icetime breakdowns?). Does his line routinely get tough defensive assignments, or is his icetime really well sheltered because he's actually a liability? There was never any question he could fight, and seemingly fight well, but he seems to have developed into a professional player that doesn't fight; has he been neutered like the NHL squad seems to have been? Or has he become very smart at picking his spots to drop 'em? Does he otherwise fly around the ice banging into opposing players and/or crunching them into the boards?(I haven't notice an AHL stat for tracking hits)

It seems that the Flyers have lots of options for speedy players that won't ultimately help the NHL roster's "Goals For" total all that much. So is there any potential for the biggest of those fast players who likely won't chip in for many goals? The one that was once a feared fighter (and, hopefully, shouldn't be intimidated or cowered into the meek hockey I have seen in the few games I've watched this year)? I'd be curious to learn anything from people who can provide specifics. Hell, I can't remember if he even got into a Flyers preseason split-squad game or if he was assigned to the Phantoms so early because the org. sees no future for him. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
                  For all of Laviolette's hooting and hollering...where did the team end up?

Lavy's actually an interesting character to look at...I'm working on something I might get finished this weekend...

Lavy's hockey was fun in hindsight but the Flyers lost a lot of games because of the system...

There's no perfect coach...

...and he totally botched Carcillo's value to a club.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
                  Near the end Lavy's system was figured out by the opposition and he refused to change it; that was his downfall.

Comment

Working...
                  X