GDT: Flyers @ Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well a win is a win.
    Sure was nice not to see Manning out there. He was dreadful versus Calgary. Good thing The EDM goalie is basically the equivalent of an AHL backup goalie ... that one goal he let in by Weise? I think between the legs was super weak.
    Hated seeing the Flyers get run over by Maroon, Kassian and Lucic a few times. Remember when it was the Flyers Driving the truck?
    Would have been nice to have Maroon still...of course we trade him away for nothing. Does anyone know what he actually did when he was playing for the Phantoms which caused the Flyers to ship him out?
    Elliot has been playing very well lately.

Letís get a road sweep in Vancouver, who are stronger then expected this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know things have been back but this article headline really hit it

"Flyers top Oilers, win consecutive games for second time this season"

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog View Post
        Lose 10 straight.
        Yup lost 10 straight. Picked up 5 points in those 10 losses.

1-0 Minnesota
        3-0 Minnesota
        3-2 Winnipeg SO
        5-4 Calgary OT
        5-2 Vancouver
        4-3 Islanders OT
        5-4 Islanders OT
        5-4 Pittsburgh OT
        3-1 San Jose
        3-0 Bruins

See those 6 losses in the middle, anyone stand up and tell me why with a team as young on defense as the Flyers, we should be upset about that. Let's be real, the people flipping shit after 28 games...are the same people who wanted to plan parades after a 10 game win streak last year.

Meanwhile over in the Central the Blues are in third place

Nashville 18-7-3 39 points
        Winnipeg 17-7-4 38 points
        Saint Louis 18-8-2 38 points

It's a shame I have to explain to Flyers fans why picking up a point in OT or losing in a SO isn't a big deal.

So Sample Size? 12 games? Points in 7 of 12.

So while you act like the Flyers pulled 4 of 24, I'll be okay with 9 of 24 given the circumstances...

Beat Cgy in an unsustainable manner
        This is a ridiculous criticism. The Flyers scored 5 goals on 21 shots..so you're going to hem and haw?

I guess we don't count the 3-0 loss to Minnesota...since they scored 3 goals on 20 shots?

How about that 5-4 loss to Pittsburgh? The Pens took 52 shots! The Flyers only had 32...so would the issue be the Pens 5 on 52? or the Flyers 4 on 32?

Oh...what about that loss to Calgary?

Flyers scored 4 goals on 39 shots, Calgary scored 5 on 31...I mean C'mon Calgary...you can;t really call it a win when you take fewer shots and score more goals..Irv just said so.

and then trounce a weak EDM club who looks like they are going to be drafting high again

yup...totlally should have lost to Edmonton...shake things up...

Beating the struggling teams is now bad...because #FlyersFanAreMiserable

and now we are pleased. Sample size is the 12 games.... not the recent 2. Please remove rose colored glasses....fanboy.
        Pleased? Nah.

Holding realistic expectations? Yes.

See, last season I got shit for not buying Weal. I got shit for not buying in to the 10 game win streak. I got shit for saying Konecny should have gone to juniors.

This team wasn't as good as the 20 points they got from that streak made them look to some of you. Likewise that 10 game losing streak doesn;t accurately reflect the current team either or their potential.

Call me a fanboy and embarrass yourself, I've been one of the most critical fans of this club for the last decade (and most of my criticism has been spot on...I was wrong on L. Schenn...for example) nd telt with guys like you blowing sunshine...now..as thre's actually a clearly visible plan and obvious improvement to our depth....you guys wanna go apeshit?

Fanboy, I dont think you know what the word means.

Let's go look at the 10 gmae win streak from last season, Irv...you know the one where they couldn't dare not play Steve Mason or the fanboys would riot..

4 of those 10 wins came in OT or the SO.
        The Flyers beat BOS 3-2 in the SO with only 21 shots recorded...Boston took 47.
        the Flyers beat FLA 3-2 in OT with only 25 shots recorded...Florida took 44.

After the 10 game wining streak the Flyers promptly lost 7 of the next 8, the lone win coming in the SO against the Caps.
        They lost a game to the Ducks in that stretch 4-3, in the SO...the Flyers recorder 55 shots, the Ducks 25.

Last season the Flyers played 24 games that were decided in OT or the SO. But let's be surprised at OT games this year?
        In the first 28 games of last year the Flyers plalyed 9 games that went to OT or the SO

After 28 games last year the Flyers were 15-10-3...including the first 6 games of the 10 game win streak (3 of those OT/SO wins)
        After 28 games this year the Flyers are 10-11-7

Sorry...not sorry to be smart enough to see the development is on track...the Flyers got younger this season and continue to keep pace...that's GOOD.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
          I know things have been back but this article headline really hit it

"Flyers top Oilers, win consecutive games for second time this season"

the same was true last year after 28 games. Consecutive wins only happened twice...

they had a 3 game win streak 10/30, 11/2, 11/3
          and they had the start of the 10 game run 11/27, 11/29, 12/1, 12/3, 12/4, 12/6

before the win on 11/27 the Flyers were 9-10-3 with a 2L streak...and had consecutive losses 3 times in the first 28 games, losing 3 in a row twice, and 2 in a row before "The Streak"

It amazes me how much the Philly market thrives on negativity...

Comment

Not apropos of any thing, but I thought this might be as good a place as any, given the disparaging viewpoints, to place my hockey Christmas wish for Santa to read:

I wish the NHL would adopt a modified scoring system more similar to soccer:

Win in regulation- 3 points.

Tie- point a piece

Prevail in OT or shootout- 1 extra point to the winner.

#incentive

Comment

I'm with you Flex...i wonder why there is hesitation to go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450
                I'm with you Flex...i wonder why there is hesitation to go this route.
                Only question is..are there enough OT/SO wins to make a meaningful impact.

I ran the numbers using the Flyers first 28 games from this year they end up with 36 points.

By contrast last year's Flyers after 28 end up with 42 and the difference between current system and 3 point system remains 6.

Would be interesting to run the numbers for the league and gauge impact

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd assume if this were done, we might see that there would be a greater divide between teams just making the playoffs and those on the outside looking in. And if that is the case, you can understand why the NHL would hesitate from going this route (they love knowing that there are a bunch of mediocre teams battling to try to make the playoffs right into the final weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

the same was true last year after 28 games. Consecutive wins only happened twice...

they had a 3 game win streak 10/30, 11/2, 11/3
                    and they had the start of the 10 game run 11/27, 11/29, 12/1, 12/3, 12/4, 12/6

before the win on 11/27 the Flyers were 9-10-3 with a 2L streak...and had consecutive losses 3 times in the first 28 games, losing 3 in a row twice, and 2 in a row before "The Streak"

It amazes me how much the Philly market thrives on negativity...
                    I'm not sure what this proves. This was the recap on NHL.com. "But we did it last year" doesn't really hold water when they sucked last year too.

Comment

9 of a possible 24 points is a god thing? Or not bad....ok.... Honesty in today's NHL if you plan to make the playoffs you need to earn about 1.2 pts per game....just to get in. We averaged .75 over the last 12. So I don't this the recent stretch can be interpreted as ok....good....or not as bad as one might think. It stinks. As did the majority of the level of play.
                      and your argument isn't lost on me...but it's an argument of convenience and for arguments sake. I wouldn't want anyone to accept that being outshot 2 to 1 by calgary was by any means a sustainable approach to securing points nor would I want ot celebrate a win vs the team with the 3rd worst record in the show and a team whose advanced stats incidate the team can not make the playoffs this yr. And are playing with a kid in goal who is very inexperienced.

Comment

Working...
                      X