No announcement yet.

GDT: Flyers @ Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they outshot us but we led in expected goals. i thought we did a good job of bending but not breaking.

imo still what's plagued this team, other than lack of secondary scoring, is simple defensive zone awareness. panicked clears, risky plays in danger areas, just not covering the damn slot pass, etc. past two games we've done much better, and i hope that means the younger d core is learning.

Just to reiterate here...

Provorov - 1 season
    Hagg - rookie
    Sanheim - rookie
    Ghost - 2 seasons, but still needs to learn d

mixed with:
    morin - rookie
    mcdonald - bottom pair d (imo)
    manning - bottom pair d
    gudas - bad year
    alt - ahl d

Comment

I think what Rev is saying is while 9 of a possible 24 points wasn't good it was realistic. Also by all advanced metrics 6 of those 10 losses we should have won the games and got unlucky. This team was never a cup contender this year, and most analysts had us finishing just outside the playoffs. Right now that's pretty much where we sit. This team is young. Really young. I doubt they will however go on another 10 game losing streak. As the season goes on though I bet they start to find their legs. Lots of new players joining the system and learning the ropes.

It's funny how fans just want more more more. The Flyers are currently playing 4-5 rookies a night not to mention close to that many 2nd year players. Yet all we hear from fans is "God I can't believe Hexy isn't letting the rookies play". These players are kids, it takes time to learn. Be patient as growth isn't linear. When this team turns the corner watch out.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie

I'm not sure what this proves. This was the recap on NHL.com. "But we did it last year" doesn't really hold water when they sucked last year too.
        They're in the middle of a youth movement and at this point last year people ridiculously inflated their expectations and pushed up the timeline on the process..

This is why guys like Irv and Evee are jumping off bridges..

It's not as bad as it gets portrayed..that simple. Philadelphia feeds off of, buys and sells, clicks on the negative...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rev_Bully; 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

For my part it's ugly to watch the devil's.. the nucks....the leafs...and other teams in reboot mode doing it while remaining competitive and relevant....I think we have erred as you have argued rev in not getting kids in earlier in this process....4 yrs deep and morin is yet it get his toes wet....I wonder if the aforementioned orgs would have been so slow to introduce him into NHL play....as one example.

Comment

Morin was always a project. He should never have been drafted that high, but it was a bad draft year and the Flyers felt they could take a reach on a project. People seemed to have put Morin up on this pedestal thinking he will solve our d problems. The reality is he would only add to them. As clumsy said we are already running 2 rookies, a 2nd year and a 3rd year dman and they are all making mistakes (yup Provo too- did you see some of those turnovers the last couple games?). You think adding big bad Sam Morin is going to help us win more games? It's a moot point anyway as he's hurt.

Comment

Mornin was/is a project but that's true of almost every big Dman..those more skilled and less skilled.

I think, and I said it at the time. Signing Gudas to a 4 year deal bottlenecked Morin's progress. He should have been up last season.

The modern NHL has room for one Schenn/Gudas/Morin type Dman. I believe Gudas' negatives are a bigger concern..

While I appreciate we can't have a blueline full of kids with under 240 games played..I believe the mistake is in having Provorov, Sanheim and Hagg ahead of Morin on the experience ladder..

I would have ditched Gudas, replaced him with Morin and held on to or acquired a veteran 2way dman...

MacDonald, Provorov, Veteran 2way D, Gost, Hagg, Morin, Manning/7D

Seems like a better balanced approach to development.. I want my stay at home Dman at NHL speed before my offensive minded guys all get in and comfy

Last edited by Rev_Bully; 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Its hard to predict where the Flyers defense will be in three years. Provorov, Hagg, and Sanheim should be but after that, who knows. You'd like to think that Myers will make it; Morin will develop more; that Ghost will learn how to play a bit of defense; and Gudas will get a grip on himself. However, there are no guarantees. The young defensemen are developing reasonably well but they need a lot of experience to put their instruction into play. Its too bad that they don't have a better goalie behind them to erase some of their mistakes but that's the way it is.
                "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
                  they outshot us but we led in expected goals. i thought we did a good job of bending but not breaking.
                  I'm going to expose myself for being analytically illiterate...what does this mean? Would you or anyone else here know of a site for dummies like me to learn some of the new metric stats people are using?

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder
                    I think what Rev is saying is while 9 of a possible 24 points wasn't good it was realistic. Also by all advanced metrics 6 of those 10 losses we should have won the games and got unlucky. This team was never a cup contender this year, and most analysts had us finishing just outside the playoffs. Right now that's pretty much where we sit. This team is young. Really young. I doubt they will however go on another 10 game losing streak. As the season goes on though I bet they start to find their legs. Lots of new players joining the system and learning the ropes.

It's funny how fans just want more more more. The Flyers are currently playing 4-5 rookies a night not to mention close to that many 2nd year players. Yet all we hear from fans is "God I can't believe Hexy isn't letting the rookies play". These players are kids, it takes time to learn. Be patient as growth isn't linear. When this team turns the corner watch out.
                    Pretty much dead on..

Losing 10 of 12 and waking with 9 points is better than walking with 4.

Had the Flyers lost 2, won 1, lost 2, won 2, lost 2, won 1, lost 2 (one in the SO) and taken 9 points...

It would have been much less dramatic around here, especially with the injuries and suspension in the mix.

It's not as bad as it seems.

Comment

I will ask this question then since we are letting ourselves off the performance hook because we are playing kids. Why has NJ, tor, and van transitioned quicker than Phi? Did the leafs not have 6 or 7 rookies in the line up last year?

Comment

Working...
                      X