GDT: Flyers @ Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

I'm going to expose myself for being analytically illiterate...what does this mean? Would you or anyone else here know of a site for dummies like me to learn some of the new metric stats people are using?
    I dunno if this is a good example of this kind of site, but I found this while poking around right before reading your comment and it has a lot of analytic stats. Here's the page for last night's game.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/gam...018&game=20428

Unfortunately it doesn't have a reference guide to explain what all those acronyms stand for.

Maybe someone else can point to something better.

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog
      I will ask this question then since we are letting ourselves off the performance hook because we are playing kids. Why has NJ, tor, and van transitioned quicker than Phi? Did the leafs not have 6 or 7 rookies in the line up last year?
      Which kid on this team is Auston Matthews?

That the short answer.

Why isn't Buffalo better? Edmonton, Phoenix?

Of the 6 teams we just listed, I don't think any are actually comparable to what the Flyers are or gave been.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog View Post
        Lose 10 straight. Beat Cgy in an unsustainable manner and then trounce a weak EDM club who looks like they are going to be drafting high again...and now we are pleased. Sample size is the 12 games.... not the recent 2. Please remove rose colored glasses....fanboy.
        I think Rev has to drink now, according to the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

I'm going to expose myself for being analytically illiterate...what does this mean? Would you or anyone else here know of a site for dummies like me to learn some of the new metric stats people are using?
          xG is a prediction of how many goals should have been scored by weighting each shot for quality. Example: If team A has 10 shots, but all 10 are breakaways, their xG is going to be higher than team B who has 40 shots, all unscreened wrist shots from the point.

There are a few different equations, but they are all (confusingly) referred to as xG -- expected goals. I think this one is the most common: http://www.corsica.hockey/blog/2016/...-goals-part-i/. It considers shot distance from the net, what type of shot it was, from what angle to net, if it was on the pplay, etc.

Afaik tho, corsi (just raw attempted shot differential) is actually more predictive of who will win the game, but imo thats because there are so many more considerations than even the current xG models account for.

also, dunno if you can see this or you have to be a member: https://theathletic.com/121980/2017/...ockey-metrics/

Comment

That is right...get one into you and get ready for more muthafukka.

Comment

Working...
            X