Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the right time to dangle a player at the peak of their value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the right time to dangle a player at the peak of their value?

So let me start by saying that i'm NOT suggesting that we should be trading any of these guys...nor am i saying that shouldn't consider doing so

I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on when is the right time to strike in trading a player who is putting up exceptional STATS...something that was unexpected or unlikely. At this time, i think we might have 3 guys who are putting up stats that have put their trade value at a level that might not last long. The guys i see as being in this position are Giroux, Jake and Couts. The latter is still young and in many ways a wild card in that he should the ability to dominate offensively in juniors, but has really not shown us any hints that what he has done through 41 games was something in his backpack. So maybe he's in a little different of a situation than the two others.

So pulling things back to my original point...when is the right time to consider dangling guys like this. Is there ever a "right" time? I'm pretty sure no matter what we get in return for any of these guys (even if an albatross like Weise/Lehtera/MacDonald were included in the deal), there would be a loud outcry by possibly the majority wondering how "how could you trade away such a great player?" I'd also guess the majority of these people would have been in the pool that had written off the 3 Amigos as average players prior to the season's start.

Remember...Giroux has a NMC (i believe)...so that would be challenge in itself.

IF any of these guys were traded, what type of a return would make you feel that it was worth it? Cap flexibility would be a major part of any deal, if considering Giroux or Jake.

This is going to be a long week...so hoping to create dialogue.

We need a return of a player that will BE the face of the franchise in 3 years. We need a player that will unequivocally make his linemates better regardless of the linemates. This player should be a point a game or better for the next 10 yrs......

Matthews... Eichel.....Laine....

Think any of those are available?? Lol
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Yeah we need a face of the franchise in 3 years, they aren't going to be brought by a trade, unless we severely overlay. That is not Hexy's MO at this point. G may not be that person, and maybe he would be willing to move.

Comment

We currently have 5.9 mill in cap space, so the whole 'cap relief' trades are (thankfully) over. Gone are the days when Homer got us right up to the ceiling. I'm not saying we trade Jake/G/Couts or anyone else for a significant increase, but it is most definitely not much of a concern at this point. Especially if it were someone like Jake, who is already a pretty high cap number, if we got someone even comparable to him as a 1-1 deal, I doubt there'd be much difference between the salaries.

Expanding on Swami's response; you're right; it's definitely not Hexy's MO. If I'm hexy, I'm probably not even calling other teams about trades. He seems the type that sits back and lets the trades come to him, and if one sounds intriguing enough; then the negotiations begin. That said, I think the answer to Lynch's question is actually the inverse of what he's asking. It's not when does Hexy to look to try unload a guy at his prime trade value, but rather how much does he ask for when another team calls to inquire about said player?
        "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Provorov will be the face, Hart potentially will be the face...maybe even Patrick

Comment

I doubt Patrick develops into anything more than a slightly better than average player. That draft was about depth, not really any stars in the making IMO. Everyone said he would be a good young player but nothing to book the parade on. He hasnít exactly been thrilling to watch and probably should have stayed in the minors
            Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

Heís this years JVR
              Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

I'll disagree with you, Darcy. Patrick has a lot of development work to do, but he's much different from JVR. I think his hockey sense is outstanding and that will go a long way to making him a productive NHL player. He has also had some games where he has dominated on faceoffs and does seem to be defensively responsible. I think offensively his best asset is his vision and passing ability. While he hasn't looked like a star player in this first year, he's still coming back from a significant injury and has to grow more into his frame.

He may never be a superstar, but I think he's going to be a very good top two center at the very least. The upside is there for more.
                Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Maybe the Couturier model will apply to Patrick. Be a strong responsible center that grows into an offensive threat with maturity. I think we will see a different Patrick in the secomd half as there is less pressure now that the Flyers have snuck into the playoffs discussion without his productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
                    Heís this years JVR

I'd be happy if Patrick developed into a player that can put up 25 to 30 goals a year. Just don't trade him for a slow footed defensemen!

Comment

Working...
                    X