Carter Hart better be the real deal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot on, Smkruzik and alxhj..

My biggest fear with Morin is that this coach doesn't like his play style.

If Morning where healthy in this series I'd have Morin and Gudas paired together and force the Pens to avoid them..I don't think that is Hak's style

Comment

Rev. That is a very good point. So Is that a plus for Hak? Is it a minus,"his style?" I am wondering in this day and age, a good coach must work with what you've got to maximize. I am not saying Hak is a bad coach. However, not sure if he can bring us to the next level.

Comment

I think Hak does a good job of developing the youngsters he has, and with X's and O's, but his line tinkering drives me nuts, I don't understand going against what got you here, and what worked previously. It looks like he's over thinking the whole thing.

Comment

This is a concern to me, as well. Does anyone here think that Hextall is concerned?

Comment

Or maybe the X's and O's of strategic hockey coaching aren't the team's focus right now? Maybe the main concern is the development of the younger players and maybe Hextall sees Hakstol as a valuable asset in that regard. Maybe the focus will change in the next couple years. Who knows. I'm just guessing.

Comment

I've got to think Hexy is at least making a mental note of these concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj View Post

I don't think anyone is saying Morin is the next Chara, but he does/will bring some of the things to the table that Chara does. Chara was a a late bloomer, and I think people are hoping the same for Morin.
                But the premise being that tall players are more likely to be late bloomers. Not sure. But I don't remember young Chara, maybe he couldn't pass the puck either.

I don't hate Morin at all, nor do I think Hak hates Morin. I think he would have gotten 20 games atleast with the Flyers if he wasn't injured at the wrong time. Not sure why people like to invent motivations for Hakstol from zero evidence, and then condemn him for those invented motivations. Sanheim looked like the better player to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

Clumsy, (correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth Rev), but I think the point of the post was that "a team wins the cup by doing A", the Flyers try to replicate A. By the time they do, another team has just won the cup doing B rendering most of the players that fit system A practically useless.

At the end of the day it isn't necessarily the fastest team, skilled team, biggest team etc... it's a mix of all of them and guys buying into the system/team. Chasing what others did is what leads you to Signing AMac for 5+ mill; trading Bob because you now have "the best goalie on the market", and emptying the cupboard so you can catch the "trend" as quickly as possible.

....It also helps if you don't have guys injured, and a you get a little luck. Definitely a damn shame what Stolarz is going through
                  Well its not just one team, the whole league is moving towards mobile puck-moving defensemen. Its a result of rules changes I would say. Less fighting, less hitting, less obstruction, no more "battles in front". Just a tough dude who can ice the puck at will isn't that useful anymore. Trading Morin would not be fruitlessly chasing the last team to win the cup. Anyway, he just needs to be able to make a simple outlet pass without icing it or turning it over. His d coverage is sick, but if you just turn the puck over afterwards you're not helping. Chara can make the outlet pass.

Also the flyers have never chased trends, but maybe they should have. I actually think they need to to update their core philosophy of "smart gritty two way players + some shlep in net". Signing AMac and trading Bob weren't chasing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

But the premise being that tall players are more likely to be late bloomers. Not sure. But I don't remember young Chara, maybe he couldn't pass the puck either.

I don't hate Morin at all, nor do I think Hak hates Morin. I think he would have gotten 20 games atleast with the Flyers if he wasn't injured at the wrong time. Not sure why people like to invent motivations for Hakstol from zero evidence, and then condemn him for those invented motivations. Sanheim looked like the better player to start the season.
                    I remember Chara when he came into the league with the Islanders. He was a project -- big, lanky and very awkward on the ice. Looked like a newborn calf to some extent. It took a number of years for him to develop into a legit NHL player, and he was in Ottawa at that point. The Islanders weren't patient enough in this case.
                    Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

Well its not just one team, the whole league is moving towards mobile puck-moving defensemen. Its a result of rules changes I would say. Less fighting, less hitting, less obstruction, no more "battles in front". Just a tough dude who can ice the puck at will isn't that useful anymore. Trading Morin would not be fruitlessly chasing the last team to win the cup. Anyway, he just needs to be able to make a simple outlet pass without icing it or turning it over. His d coverage is sick, but if you just turn the puck over afterwards you're not helping. Chara can make the outlet pass.

Also the flyers have never chased trends, but maybe they should have. I actually think they need to to update their core philosophy of "smart gritty two way players + some shlep in net". Signing AMac and trading Bob weren't chasing anything.
                      Chara was drafted in the third round, 56th overall...you act like he was a top 5 pick...the isles rushed him into the NHL..and then gave up on him...

at 20 he played 25 games, posted 1 point and a +1
                      at 21 he played 59 games, posted 8 points and a -8
                      at 22 he played 65 games, posted 11 points and a -27
                      at 23 he played 82 games, posted 9 points and a -27

then he was traded to Ottawa

at 24 he played 75 games, posted 23 points and a +30
                      at 25 he played 74 games, posted 39 points and a +29

...you get the idea

...No one is saying Sam Morin is going to be a perennial 40 point producer who plays 20 years in the league...

What we are saying is it's way too early to give up on a big kid with a world of potential...Morin was drafted 11th overall...he's 22, he's got good mobility....and even in this day and age...big shutdown defense men are valuable...you don;t just toss them away...

I would rather take another 5 years and be sure he's not gonna blossom...than be the next Islanders...

Comment

Working...
                      X