Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakstol and Hextall End of Season Interviews

Summary...

- All coaches will be back, though some assistant's roles may change. They specifically mentioned they need to be better on the PK

- Oduya, Read, Manning, Mrazek will all not be brought back

- Lehtera has been informed they will not be buying him out

- Filppula, they'd like to bring back, but it depends on some other things this summer

- Want to improve C, D, and possibly G this summer

Honestly, I do like this quote by Hextall:
    "With all due respect to our fans, and they are a minority, I know a lot more about our coaches than they do. Our coaches know more about our players than they do. I can't react to [fan sentiment]. That said, we all need to get better, myself included."

He does know lots more, but sounds as if he will re-evaluate this offseason..... he always keeps it close to vest.

I think he cares little about pissing off fans.
    ..."Hextall scored a goal in the empty net, and I don't know how he did it!!!!"

Comment

Pretty much what I expected. With the progress of the team (they made the playoffs) and the progression of some of the younger players, you had to figure they'd stay the course in terms of coaching. But there has to be continued progression and they need to lean more on the younger players, not fall back on the "comfort" of veteran guys who are really no better than the kids despite their inexperience. There was some statement by Hextall that I read elsewhere which basically said if they go young on defense, so be it. Some of the younger defensemen have already gotten some experience at this point anyway. That's what I was saying -- Ghost and Provorov are veterans going into next season in their 4th and 3rd years respectively. Haag and Sanheim played enough to get a good feel for the NHL and are coming back as second year players. That leaves room for a rookie, maybe two. The older guys will be MacDonald and Gudas (who I think should be a #7 now...or traded).

I don't care what he said about the fans -- some will get ticked off by that statement thinking it's arrogant, but it's exactly how he should feel as GM. He has to have confidence in his ability to make the right decisions. Let's just keep moving things in the right direction.
      Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post
        Summary...

- All coaches will be back, though some assistant's roles may change. They specifically mentioned they need to be better on the PK

- Oduya, Read, Manning, Mrazek will all not be brought back

- Lehtera has been informed they will not be buying him out

- Filppula, they'd like to bring back, but it depends on some other things this summer

- Want to improve C, D, and possibly G this summer

Honestly, I do like this quote by Hextall:
        "With all due respect to our fans, and they are a minority, I know a lot more about our coaches than they do. Our coaches know more about our players than they do. I can't react to [fan sentiment]. That said, we all need to get better, myself included."
        So no plan to bring back Manning, but you played the crap out of him, ahead of the kids you're trying to "develop"...

And let's face it, there is no surprise re: coaches...Hexy will die on that hill...

Comment

I understand what you're saying Mike, but nobody has to be a rocket scientist to figure out Hagg should've been playing much earlier, and Sanheim was not the problem on defense. Playing Gudas and Manning together was tantamount to us entering every game with at least a 1-0 deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

So no plan to bring back Manning, but you played the crap out of him, ahead of the kids you're trying to "develop"...

And let's face it, there is no surprise re: coaches...Hexy will die on that hill...
            No one at Comcast will hold Hexy accountable, so itís his show to run...that is very troubling to me!

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
              I understand what you're saying Mike, but nobody has to be a rocket scientist to figure out Hagg should've been playing much earlier, and Sanheim was not the problem on defense. Playing Gudas and Manning together was tantamount to us entering every game with at least a 1-0 deficit.
              I was saying that all season...you're preaching to the choir. And I'm on record saying I would make a change. But I can understand the counter argument that there was progression and they can justify going with Hakstol for another season. If it stagnates or regresses, then you have to switch it up. But right now, it's not a no brainer. That's all I'm saying. Not agreeing with the decision, just understanding their thinking.
              Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
                If Hagg and Sanheim were playing the same minutes against the same lines, I'm not sure they wouldn't have been lit up too. Gudas was only a -1... just Manning fared poorly.

All these backseat coaches, man.

Comment

Did you all read Charlie's postmortem on the Flyers? I think it might have been one of the free articles. Definitely worth a read:

https://theathletic.com/326668/2018/...at-comes-next/

Comment

There are a faction of fans in town that think that every time one of the local franchises plays lower than their expectations, that It's time to fire the coach. By this yardstick, Peterson would have been cashiered at the end of the Birds' 17 season. So much for that logic. However, the talking heads, always pursuing higher ratings, push this fire the coach mentality. Cataldi is the leader of this bunch. If he is so smart, why hasn't a franchise hired him? We know the reason.
                    Coaches can only do with a team what the talent on the roster allows them to do. There are things that I would have liked to see the Flyers do that they didn't but it was probably due to the lack of talent and youth on the team. As Hextall said, the defense lacked experience. Now Provorov and Ghost are vets and Sanheim and Hagg aren't rookies. Schemes can now change there. The same goes with the forwards. It was tough to get much production out the bottom six. The PK was terrible because the talent to play it well wasn't there for most of the season. No scheme was going to save them long term. Now that most of them are gone, things should improve.
                    "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Working...
                    X