Flyers TV ratings down 25% this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyers TV ratings down 25% this year?

Great article from Anthony SanFilippo about the real reasons why the ratings are down (rather than the convenient BSH millennial "OMG they suuuuuuckkkkk" reasoning), although I think stagnation among the base is partially responsible for any lower ratings.

Many believe Flyers fans are expressing their distaste with the team’s seeming perpetual mediocrity both at the box office and with their remote control.

In short, the arguments have been that clusters of empty seats at the Wells Fargo Center for playoff games coupled with declining TV ratings mean that apathy has set in among the Orange and Black faithful, who not so many years ago were dubbed “stepford fans” for being robotically conformist to whatever the organ-eye-zation did and said.

Maybe the fan base is changing. Maybe Millennial fans are not like their Gen-X predecessors or the original Baby Boomers who made Philadelphia akin to a Canadian city when it came to hockey fandom.

Maybe they are getting tired of mediocrity. Maybe they are more discerning about how they are going to spend their entertainment dollars than those fans that came before them.

And then I saw this series of Tweets traipse down my Twitter timeline the other day – the first from a Canadian reporter who does some work for the New York Times (quoting Sports Business Journal), and then the rest from the site manager of Broad Street Hockey, the SB Nation fan site, and her cohorts...
    https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/0...ropped-25.html

Not been to Philly since 2011 but watching the regular season games this year, the atmosphere in the arena was way off how I remember it being. Is the "apathy" thing true these days?

Comment

I think that's part of it, but part of the decline in TV ratings probably has more to do with shifting platforms. A lot of people stream content online, and ratings don't pick those numbers off. The article I linked up above also mentions that the Flyers streaming numbers have increased A LOT. It's not as simple as apathy, although I think that plays a part. I know my interest hasn't been as high as in years past, but that could be because I now live with my fiance and have more going on in my own life.

Comment

Nielsen Ratings are archaic and useless this day and age. TV ratings as a whole are down across the board.

Comment

This may sound stupid, but I think fans need to feel "attached" or emotionally invested into a team to care.

Hak (and Hextall to a degree) make it very difficult to "love" this team. Personally, I've never been less passionate about a group.

Their emotionless approach feels like the team is being run by accountants who show no passion about the on-ice product (and it's translated to the players as well).

I'm sure winning has a lot to do with it, but that's my 2 cents...
          Last edited by Hexy's Axe; 04-26-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Niittyzus View Post
            I think that's part of it, but part of the decline in TV ratings probably has more to do with shifting platforms. A lot of people stream content online, and ratings don't pick those numbers off. The article I linked up above also mentions that the Flyers streaming numbers have increased A LOT. It's not as simple as apathy, although I think that plays a part. I know my interest hasn't been as high as in years past, but that could be because I now live with my fiance and have more going on in my own life.
            I agree it is like likely more people streaming.

Comment

I have to stream because Center Ice is so darned expensive, so I have the NHL.TV App on PS4, and get to see every game at a much cheaper price.

Comment

IMO the problem is with the fans, not the team. I haven't lived in the area for almost two decades so I'm just assessing this from afar, but the last couple years flyers fans have seemed markedly fragile and whiny. Its like they think they DESERVE a win every time they show up. Game 6 on the pplay down a goal and the fans are BOOING. Thats not fandom. You're supposed to lift up your team at home, not knock them down so you can say I-told-you-so when they lose.

This team isn't boring at all... we have a dozen young prospects breaking thru the ranks, we have G with a career year, couts finally reaching his potential and a possible selke winner, guys gutting it out playing on one leg, one arm, a busted pelvis... not sure what y'all want.

Comment

Originally posted by flyers19rw
                  For the first time in my time as a Flyers fan, and I have been there since the start of the franchise, I turned off some of the games. The reason wasn't the coaching. It was the output of the players. How many times does a person need to see an opponent blow by Manning to the outside? Gudas lose the puck because he's dinking around with it attempting to be a stick handler, Voracek passing up shots that should be taken if for no other reason than it might create a rebound opportunity, and so on ( notice I am not mentioning shoddy play in goal since that was pretty much of a constant all season). Having coached, I realize that the guy behind the bench can't be a miracle maker. He can't make chicken salad out of chicken **** and there was a fair amount of guano on that roster.
                  Who is to blame? Hextall for not clearing out more garbage? Hakstol for not playing the kids more? Holmgren for overpaying guys to plug holes when he was GM? Ed Snider for pushing for moves so that he could get a SC before he died? It doesn't really matter. Today's Flyers are what they are- a team on the rise. There is a solid base of quality young guys here now to mix with some quality vets and there's more talent coming through the pipeline. At least this season we didn't have to put up with Mason's mental and physical walkabouts; no Streit, Scultz or MDZ back on the blue line to join with Gudas and Manning to make defense a joke and the like. We fans need to focus on what is going to happen here that is going to be good and put the past in the rear view mirror.
                  Last edited by flyers19rw; 04-26-2018, 06:58 PM. Reason: Typo
                  "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Totally agree flyers19rw, we're on the rise. This team is going to contend built on an incredible defensive backbone: Hart, Sandstrom, Provorov, Myers, Ghost, Sanheim, Hagg, Morin. When that core is all in their mid 20s this team will be a force.

Comment

Working...
                    X