• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

I'll report on what i see
    i see the tips won. Any reports?

Comment

Originally posted by Cup4Recchi8 View Post
      Hart should also win his 3rd straight Canadian Junior goalie of the year award as well an amazing feat ! How does The Hockey News rank him as only the 35th best prospect? What a joke.
      Hart didn't win CHL last year, only WHL. He basically got jobbed as he had the better stats across the board except wins.

Hart, 16/17 - 54 GP -32 Wins - .927 SV%, 1.99 GAA, 9 SO
      McNiven, 16/17 - 54 GP - 41 Wins - .915 SV%, 2.30 GAA, 6 SO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHL_Go...er_of_the_Year

He will likely end up with 3 WHL and 2 CHL.
      Last edited by Pit; 05-05-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post
        i see the tips won. Any reports?
        tied 1-1 now. I'll be at game 4 on wednesday and 5 on friday. I'll let you know!

Comment

Everett lost 1-0 to go down 3-1 in the series. Skinner saved 32 of 32, Hart had 18 of 19. The goal against I thought was a little soft at the time, but after watching the replay I think it redirected ever so slightly. Judge for yourself: http://everettsilvertips.com/video/t...deo-highlights. Went with longtime o&b lurker smoo. Hi smoo!

My impressions of Carter:
          - Reminds me more of a beezer/elliott kind of goalie, trying to always stay in a compact position on his angle instead of relying on reflexes.
          - He did make saves on two clear-cut breakaways in the game, both times i thought he read the shooter well.
          - Generally speaking I thought he knew exactly what the shooters wanted to do before they did it.
          - He has great ice awareness, knowing where the opposing players are at all times.
          - Tracks the puck very well. Rarely overcommits.
          - He's laconic in net, very calm, reminds me of carey price in that way.
          - Doesn't get flustered. His body language was exactly the same throughout the game. During the intro they shined a whole spotlight show on him for a good 10 seconds and he didnt move a muscle.
          - He does not look big in net. I dunno if 6'2" is exaggerated or if he's just got a narrow build or a small chest protector or what.
          - Likes to play the puck and keep it moving, which is sometimes great, but he had atleast 1 harrowing turnover I can remember.
          - He has a tendency to make passive saves, just letting the puck hit him, instead of making an active save and redirecting the puck. In game 3 the tying goal was off a rebound off just such a passive save.
          - In general I feel like he doesn't control his rebounds terribly well, he doesn't seem to absorb the puck when its fired into his body or his pads.
          - He looks slow. I dont see explosiveness from him. The rare times he wasn't ahead of the play and was forced to scramble, he looked sort of clumsy.
          - His footwork when repositioning isn't always good. Saw some two-push shuffles side-to-side instead of one big push. I think he can get away with that cuz he's so ahead of the play mentally.
          - It seemed to me that Everett has a real dedication to team defense (except for Bajkov!). Possibly thats inflated Hart's stats?

So my initial worry is that he won't be big/fast enough against NHL competition to be anything more than an average goalie. I feel like if you're not huge in today's game you have to have quickness to be great. He seemed mentally consistent, tho, and maybe thats what really projects for goalies, not sure. Could be just a couple years with a real pro trainer and he will look quick. It also could be that he's just as quick as he needs to be for the level of competition he's playing at, but isn't inherently slow. I dont think he's going to be playing for the flyers next year, tho.

Of course I don't know much about goaltending, and I know zero about juniors goaltending I'm definitely judging him by the (unfair) standards of NHL goalies. He also really didnt receive many quality shots this game to judge him on. Hopefully he gets more work, and a win, on friday!

Comment

<snip>
            I also lack education on goaltending –--– I never saw the goalie, I just saw the twine in the back of the net –--– but, two things that stuck out to me over the years (early '80s to now):
            1. better goalies in this modern era don't seem to so much "make a save" by reacting nearly as much as they are already in the right position to get hit by a shot they could otherwise have no time to react to –– players are so much faster & more skilled, shots are so much harder & more accurate, screens & deflections are so much more prevalent; and,
            2. much of the modern body mechanics in this proper-position-to-get-hit-by-the-shot era seems to make many goalies, except the real giants, look small in the net at times ––-- hell, that was my biggest takeaway on Bobrovsky in a Flyers uniform: thinking he looked small in net when he would get beat high, so I certainly failed in my assessment there. Oh, and Hart and Bobrovsky are both listed the same 6'2". (admittedly, I had also thought Gudas was a lot bigger [than 6'0"] based on seeing so many of his hits, but then after seeing him bounced around since getting neutered by the league and/or coaching staff, I found he barely beat out Gostisbehere for not being the shortest Flyers defenseman by 1" ... perceptions, eh)

The mental parts of Hart's game are what I have most heard raved about since the draft as his pluses ––-- not only how he anticipates, but that he easily shakes off bad moments as well as takes to corrective instructions well ––-- so my only concern would be for the possible quality of the professional coaching he will receive starting next year.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Mr. Clumsysnake!!

Comment

Was at game 5 last nite, place was rockin. tips won 6-3 with two ENs. carter gave up 3, two were stoppable but of high difficulty, both plays he could have read slightly quicker.

More thoughts:
                - hart’s got a solid 5 hole. he can close it quickly and gets his trailing pad down.
                - he still looked like he lacks strength and speed. might just not be physically mature enough yet. he doesn’t cover much ice when he pushes off. Either he’s doing that intentionally to stay compact or he stays compact because he isn’t covering much ice.
                - he still looked a tad small. compared to skinner in the other net, who looked much bigger although he’s only an inch taller.
                - he had better rebound control this game, reacting to the shots and sealing them himself without relying on his d.

so overall i’m not wowed by him. i thought skinner has looked much more pro ready than hart in the games i saw. but the good news is i know nothing about how goalies develop i hope the fans can be patient though because i wouldn’t be surprised if he needs two+ years in the ahl.

Comment

Thanks clumsy appreciate comments

my thinking is he will def need 2 yrs in ahl

The crease shuffle being choppy is what they teach you in goalie school when tracking the puck angle relative to yours in crease. I’ll have to watch video to understand more of his method.

goalies usually take longer to be nhl ready

hoping he really pans out
                  ..."Hextall scored a goal in the empty net, and I don't know how he did it!!!!"

Comment

Was at game 5 last nite, place was rockin. tips won 6-3 with two ENs. carter gave up 3, two were stoppable but of high difficulty, both plays he could have read slightly quicker.

More thoughts:
                    - hart’s got a solid 5 hole. he can close it quickly and gets his trailing pad down.
                    - he still looked like he lacks strength and speed. might just not be physically mature enough yet. he doesn’t cover much ice when he pushes off. Either he’s doing that intentionally to stay compact or he stays compact because he isn’t covering much ice.
                    - he still looked a tad small. compared to skinner in the other net, who looked much bigger although he’s only an inch taller.
                    - he had better rebound control this game, reacting to the shots and sealing them himself without relying on his d.

so overall i’m not wowed by him. i thought skinner has looked much more pro ready than hart in the games i saw. but the good news is i know nothing about how goalies develop i hope the fans can be patient though because i wouldn’t be surprised if he needs two+ years in the ahl.
                    your last comment struck home..and from what I've seemed to read, he is a student of his own game..and tries hard to improve every day..and is not afraid to put in the effort to do so...The one thing that Hextall has done that is spot on is drafting at least one G in every draft he has been a part of..even if "the guy" is not Hart we have a lot of prospects..one of them (hopefully) WILL be "the guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Dunlop27 View Post
                      goalies usually take longer to be nhl ready
                      I wish our fanbase would figure this out. Reading social media, the majority somehow think he's gonna step in and be dominant in the NHL next year... and knowing our fans, will turn on him if he's not.

Honestly, look at a guy like Fleury. Had tons of talent, but struggled a lot behind some weak Pens teams, and even had some major issues in the playoffs for a while. Now he's pretty widely regarded as one of the best goalies in the league.

Patience is going to be key. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Comment

Working...
                      X