Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what kind of changes will Hexy make?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So what kind of changes will Hexy make?

    Up here in Montreal, i have been hearing a ton about how the Habs would move forward to this off-season (the chatter has been here since the beginning of the new year). This has had me thinking about what the Flyers would do and how Hextall would use the cap space he finally has to improve the team.

    So if you go position by position, here are my thoughts:

    Goalie
    I don't see Hextall making any moves this off-season between the pipes. I think you let things play out with Elliott taking the lead and allowing Neuvirth and Lyon to battle for the back-up role. One thing i do hope Hextall does is to get Hakstol to understand that you can't ride any of these guys the way he seems to like to do so. Get a plan together regarding how many games you want your #1 to start...and allow that to be spaced out to keep him and the back-up fresh. No more injuries due to overuse.

    Defence
    I am hoping Morin will be ready to start the season. If things look good for him, then i hope to see Hextall look to trade Gudas. It sure looks like we have squeezed as much goodness as we could have hoped for out of him. Try to get something in return for him (include him in a bigger deal...no problem). If Morin won't be ready, then i am hoping to see Hextall be aggressive in looking for another physical vet dman to sign/trade for. I'd be happy to see a guy like Ian Cole come in and take bottom pairing role.

    Apart from that, i'm really hoping that Hexy and his buddies have been keeping their eyes on Myers. The kid has had a tough season staying healthy...but he has been very impressive in the playoffs. Let him have his chance to come in. I know we will have a very young defence, but knowing we're not going to compete for a Cup next season...allow for the experience to be received by the kids.

    Wing
    Personally, i would look at seeing what the market would bring back for Jake. I would not trade him just to trade him (as some here would). But if you can acquire young talent (in a package) that is ready to play in the NHL for Jake, i'd definitely consider this. He is a very good player, but someone who is not paramount for this team to get to where they need to be. Use the cap savings to extend Simmonds (don't go nuts and give him 8 years @ $8mil!) and prepare for Provorov's big contract.

    I know that Hextall is reluctant to buyout Lehtera and Weise, but i think you really need to do so on the former (and dump the latter into the AHL). Then move forward and rebuild the 4th line. Get guys who can help the PK and at the same time chip in with some offence. A name that really intrigues me is Michael Grabner. He's a guy who can play an aggressive PK up front...and move up and down the lineup. Leo Komarov is another i think would fit that role.

    If we do lose Jake in a nice deal, i'm assuming we will need to replace that production. That can be done and doesn't necessarily need to come from a new winger. But if you want to acquire a winger for offensive production, connect with the 'Canes and see what it will cost to get Jeff Skinner. Maybe a Jake-Skinner deal could be a starting point for something more impactful.

    Center
    There looks to be a need for a 3C on the Flyers. We could focus in on some decent 3Cs available in the f/a market (maybe Tyler Bozak)...but maybe we aim bigger and allow Patrick to move down to 3C as he gains experience. A guy like Tavares is the obvious center to target (i'd LOVE to get him...i just don't see Hextall pulling a Homer on July 1)...but Paul Stastny would be someone i'd be very interested in. Another couple of 2Cs i'd be intrigued by are Ryan O'Reilly (signed until 22-23 @ $7.5M AAV) and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (signed until 20-21 @ $6M AAV). These two are 27 years old and 25 years old, respectively...so still have a lot of hockey to play. Both the Sabres and Oilers will be active in the trade market...so could Jake be used in a deal for these guys (not saying 1-for-1)?

    We need to remember that there is some talent in the pipeline (including Frost)...so the alternative could be to allow a kid to take the 3C role and use the cap space in the other areas of need.

    Would love to hear from other on what they would like to see happen (dreaming and realistic).


  • #2
    I can't speak to individuals......but the prevailing sense I get is that corporate is more than happy to keep their hands off and let Hex do whatever he wants. What he wants is to dismantle the veteran core piece by piece, draft well, allow the kids to gel and bring them up slowly as vacancies arise at the hotel. If and when he gets to a point where a key acquisition or 2 would make a difference.......that's where this thread would have vibrancy. Long way from that. Hex doesn't care about what the fans want-he's said as much already. Get used to the treadmill until the GM and braintrust decide to move the club......"forward".....

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting perspective Flex. I'm a little more hopeful that Hexy will make moves to make positive changes on this team simply because he finally has a chance to do so. Handcuffs from past seasons are finally off. Hexy doesn't seem like the type that needs a spotlight to feel self worth...so yeah...he doesn't give a crap about what we think and will proceed how he feels is the correct way to move forward. And I'm ok with this. I just want to see improvmeets, which I feel we will see.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't see Lehtera or Weise being bought out. We just don't need the cap space this year so it would be a waste of future cap space to do so (unless they make a hard push for Tavares). If they aren't good enough to be on our lineup they sit in the pressbox or get sent down to AHL. Pressbox likely the better option as they don't take a kids spot down there.

        Stastny would be a fantastic guy to get but I am sure he wants term and he is getting old. He is doing some magic on the Jets though. ROR has an issue with drunk driving and Hextall heralds good character. Not to say he wouldn't pursue it but those are a lot of years for a forward who is starting to decline. RNH could be nice but his highest point total was 56 and that was what 4 years ago? Maybe he just needs a change of scenery but that's a lot of salary to roll the dice on. I like Bozak and Grabner on short deals.

        Agreed on Goalie. I just don't see Hexy doing anything other than signing one of Lyon or Stolarz (likely Lyon at this point based on playoff performance and the injuries to Stolarz). He needs to make room for Hart to start games in the AHL, so I can see him trading one of Stolarz, Neuvy or Lyon if he got a pick out of the deal. The following year Sandstrom will likely take the leap as well to NA so we have a bit of a log jam. I really don't see Hex moving Elliot though- I think the team has faith in him regardless of numbers, and hopefully his toddler is settling in.

        If we trade Jake as you said I would want a major return. A young roster player who can slot into the 2nd or 3rd line, who has a good shooting percentage and is a volume shooter. In addition there would need to be a 1st and at least another A-B prospect. Jake is a top winger in the league and should garner a solid return. Simmonds I feel like trading at this point would be selling low with all his injury issues. Let him come into camp and if you can move him mid season for a quality return you do it. Patrick has already shown he can replace him on the PP.

        From the interviews I have read sounds like Hexy will look at 1 vet Dman. However I would probably prefer him just to bring up Meyers. Morin is apparently out for 6 months so don't expect him back until Nov/Dec once he has fully healed. He will be on the roster for sure. Hopefully he can outplay Gudas.

        That's it for my thoughts. I like the slow steady approach. I feel the team is growing together and you can already see the kids starting to take over the production of the vets. We have 2 decent 1st round picks this year too. If there was a way to package them to jump into the top 3-4 we could land a real sniper for many years to come.

        This will be a real telling year for Hak as he will have a solid lineup at his disposal to at least get past the first round. He things go sideways I see him getting the axe as he only has 1 year after this on his contract. If he takes this team to the next step I can see Hextall extending him.

        Comment


        • #5
          At the top of the list for me is bringing in at least 2 much needed RHD to neutralize the liability of having 5 LHD on your top 6.

          Next would be much needed grit in the backend and among your bottom 6 forwards...this team is way too small and way too soft!

          Beyond that, I have no idea what Hextall’s vision Is for this team, so for me to predict the type of player he is looking for is a crapshoot! We can all speculate through his draft picks, that it is to get younger, faster and smarter (high IQ),..bottom line, this team needs at least 4-5 new faces if they are to take the next step in the process and some of that will happen naturally through expiring contracts (Fillpula, Read, Manning, etc)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
            Up here in Montreal, i have been hearing a ton about how the Habs would move forward to this off-season (the chatter has been here since the beginning of the new year). This has had me thinking about what the Flyers would do and how Hextall would use the cap space he finally has to improve the team.

            So if you go position by position, here are my thoughts:

            Goalie
            I don't see Hextall making any moves this off-season between the pipes. I think you let things play out with Elliott taking the lead and allowing Neuvirth and Lyon to battle for the back-up role. One thing i do hope Hextall does is to get Hakstol to understand that you can't ride any of these guys the way he seems to like to do so. Get a plan together regarding how many games you want your #1 to start...and allow that to be spaced out to keep him and the back-up fresh. No more injuries due to overuse.

            Defence
            I am hoping Morin will be ready to start the season. If things look good for him, then i hope to see Hextall look to trade Gudas. It sure looks like we have squeezed as much goodness as we could have hoped for out of him. Try to get something in return for him (include him in a bigger deal...no problem). If Morin won't be ready, then i am hoping to see Hextall be aggressive in looking for another physical vet dman to sign/trade for. I'd be happy to see a guy like Ian Cole come in and take bottom pairing role.

            Apart from that, i'm really hoping that Hexy and his buddies have been keeping their eyes on Myers. The kid has had a tough season staying healthy...but he has been very impressive in the playoffs. Let him have his chance to come in. I know we will have a very young defence, but knowing we're not going to compete for a Cup next season...allow for the experience to be received by the kids.

            Wing
            Personally, i would look at seeing what the market would bring back for Jake. I would not trade him just to trade him (as some here would). But if you can acquire young talent (in a package) that is ready to play in the NHL for Jake, i'd definitely consider this. He is a very good player, but someone who is not paramount for this team to get to where they need to be. Use the cap savings to extend Simmonds (don't go nuts and give him 8 years @ $8mil!) and prepare for Provorov's big contract.

            I know that Hextall is reluctant to buyout Lehtera and Weise, but i think you really need to do so on the former (and dump the latter into the AHL). Then move forward and rebuild the 4th line. Get guys who can help the PK and at the same time chip in with some offence. A name that really intrigues me is Michael Grabner. He's a guy who can play an aggressive PK up front...and move up and down the lineup. Leo Komarov is another i think would fit that role.

            If we do lose Jake in a nice deal, i'm assuming we will need to replace that production. That can be done and doesn't necessarily need to come from a new winger. But if you want to acquire a winger for offensive production, connect with the 'Canes and see what it will cost to get Jeff Skinner. Maybe a Jake-Skinner deal could be a starting point for something more impactful.

            Center
            There looks to be a need for a 3C on the Flyers. We could focus in on some decent 3Cs available in the f/a market (maybe Tyler Bozak)...but maybe we aim bigger and allow Patrick to move down to 3C as he gains experience. A guy like Tavares is the obvious center to target (i'd LOVE to get him...i just don't see Hextall pulling a Homer on July 1)...but Paul Stastny would be someone i'd be very interested in. Another couple of 2Cs i'd be intrigued by are Ryan O'Reilly (signed until 22-23 @ $7.5M AAV) and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (signed until 20-21 @ $6M AAV). These two are 27 years old and 25 years old, respectively...so still have a lot of hockey to play. Both the Sabres and Oilers will be active in the trade market...so could Jake be used in a deal for these guys (not saying 1-for-1)?

            We need to remember that there is some talent in the pipeline (including Frost)...so the alternative could be to allow a kid to take the 3C role and use the cap space in the other areas of need.

            Would love to hear from other on what they would like to see happen (dreaming and realistic).
            What is the buzz in MTL re Habs?

            Comment


            • #7
              Management is promising that the team will be very aggressive in trying to acquire a 1C and 2c that this team has needed since the Vincent Damphouse years...but fans are recognizing that this team needs to go through a Sixes type process to truly get to become a dominant team again. Management and ownership won't allow that to happen...so likely will continue to be a middling team for years to come (which is perfect for me).

              The most common names I am hearing as targets in trades are O'Reilly and Trocek (sp?)...along with the pipe dream of getting Tavares to play for another no hope tram.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by behn3 View Post
                At the top of the list for me is bringing in at least 2 much needed RHD to neutralize the liability of having 5 LHD on your top 6.

                Next would be much needed grit in the backend and among your bottom 6 forwards...this team is way too small and way too soft!

                Beyond that, I have no idea what Hextall’s vision Is for this team, so for me to predict the type of player he is looking for is a crapshoot! We can all speculate through his draft picks, that it is to get younger, faster and smarter (high IQ),..bottom line, this team needs at least 4-5 new faces if they are to take the next step in the process and some of that will happen naturally through expiring contracts (Fillpula, Read, Manning, etc)
                it feels like he is going for the Kings model...where your roster is mostly B+ / A- players with no A+ super star (I'd consider Giroux to be an 'A-' player)..if that metaphor even applies

                part of this is design , obviously, but part of it is also circumstance..since we seldom pick in the top 3...yeah I know we juts did..but those times are rare..and so the Superstars often get drafted by other teams

                Comment


                • #9
                  One name not discussed yet that I wouldn't mind on the team for a short term deal is Kovalchuk. Guy can still flat out score and on a 2 year deal could fill a need while we wait for kids to replace him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vedder View Post
                    One name not discussed yet that I wouldn't mind on the team for a short term deal is Kovalchuk. Guy can still flat out score and on a 2 year deal could fill a need while we wait for kids to replace him.
                    I heard that NYR is going to be his destination. But, yeah he'd really slot nice in our PP. Wow
                    .
                    .
                    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X