Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caps winning...how does it impact your view?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caps winning...how does it impact your view?

With the Caps winning the cup, what are your thoughts about where our Flyers stand?

For me, without watching how the Caps played in the last few rounds, i would have said that them winning should give us all hope. We were pretty close to them (if not better) during the regular season. Our skill looks to be pretty much in line with theirs (apart from goaltending...i know, i know!). So i feel somewhat optamistic.

BUT then i saw how they played in the playoffs...i don't think our current team would be able to pick their game up to that level of intensity. Crappy players players like stars (Smith-Pelley, Eller, etc). Could this have been possible for our Laughtons, Weals?

I think so. I am mostly positive, especially seeing as the caps have most of their points coming from players they have drafted:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">had a hunch last night that WSH is built through the entry draft more than most other playoff teams - in terms of both time on ice and <a href="https://twitter.com/hockey_ref?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@hockey_ref</a>&#39;s Point Shares, they have a pretty high % of player contribution coming from players they&#39;ve drafted and developed. <a href="https://t.co/JkAOaq0x8N">pic.twitter.com/JkAOaq0x8N</a></p>&mdash; Namita (@nnstats) <a href="https://twitter.com/nnstats/status/1004036091257769985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 5, 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
      I think so. I am mostly positive, especially seeing as the caps have most of their points coming from players they have drafted:

https://twitter.com/nnstats/status/1004036091257769985

Comment

I'm happier than all get out for Ovie. That being said I hope Hextall was taking notes during the entire playoffs. The Caps proved there's still a lot to be said for being physical. It's great to be fast, but along with speed, the Caps had players who physically broke the will of a lot of skilled teams along the way, Wilson, DSP, Beagle, Orpik, and Oshie all come to mind immediately. Myself, and a few others have been harping on this for the better part of 5 years now. We need some forwards with grit and nastiness, not ballerinas. The Caps had a great formula, and of course great goaltending too. I hope we're taking care of the goalie issue, but for God's Sake Hexy! Give us some nasty too!

Comment

I am happy for the Great 8. So many great stars never get to hold the Cup, and he deserves it. Looking at our barren streak, this is one from the new team class of 68 to win it. At.least we can still look down on the Blues. California Seals also came in, but the franchise ended in Cleveland.

I have not thought too much of Oshie in the past, but he was really solid in the playoffs.

for the Flyers, stay the course...trust our Process.

Comment

Doesn't really affect my thinking.

I think there's way too much written every year how a team won the cup because they built their team in a certain way. Then the next year a different team wins and its cuz they were a different type of team. I think you can learn more about the league direction from the teams that lead in the regular season, thats a larger sample size.

Scoring is up, size is down.

Comment

I think it's great Ovi got a cup. But washinWash was not in the 1967 expansion. They came in 1974, or 75

Comment

The Caps had a nice PO run. Good for them. However they are a team that will now start to age. IMO, Trotz was the key to their win. He has always stressed defense and physical play.
                If the Flyers can take anything from the Caps win, that's it. They need to be more sound in their own end and have a physical presence all over the ice. Having a quality goalie helps but there needs to be more compete coming out of a few players on a consistent basis.
                "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post
                  The Caps had a nice PO run. Good for them. However they are a team that will now start to age. IMO, Trotz was the key to their win. He has always stressed defense and physical play.
                  If the Flyers can take anything from the Caps win, that's it. They need to be more sound in their own end and have a physical presence all over the ice. Having a quality goalie helps but there needs to be more compete coming out of a few players on a consistent basis.
                  Speaking of Trotz, does anyone love listening to him talk kockey strategy as much as me? He's always so detailed and tuned in.

Comment

Originally posted by healthy scatch View Post
                    I think it's great Ovi got a cup. But washinWash was not in the 1967 expansion. They came in 1974, or 75
                    You are right... Flyers, Pens, North Stars, Blues, Seals, and Kings were 68 teams. I thought the Kings were in the next class, not the Caps.

Comment

Working...
                    X