Jay O'Brien @ #19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay O'Brien @ #19

Dominated in a lesser league, 80p in 30gms at the prep level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpsnM2m0XYM

Dunno much about him!

After a quick search on some mock drafts they had him going mid 20s so maybe a bit of a reach, but if they like him then hey. Analysis says hes about 3 years out.

For what it's worth Pierre was slobbing his knob but I put almost no stock in his opinion.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-hl7U_WTSM

Just from the highlights seems like he's fairly well rounded player. He's dominating because of the lesser competition, but he's also getting ALL the defensive attention and playing with guys who cant even make/receive a pass. Hats off to the scouts if he pans out, projecting someone at the HS level is pretty hard.

Comment

Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer
        O'Brien's upside has been compared to Joe Pavelski and similar skilled, smart players. It was level of competition plus being big-frame kid (ala Casey Mitttelstadt) which limited some's viewings and knocked him in some projections. I've never seen him play but ppl I trust raved.

I had thought Boston might try to trade up for O'Brien. Fwiw, Tony Amonte has said he has future NHL star written all over him. But he is smallish and exposure to top-end competition is limited.

Farabee and O'Brien, who got to know each other during O'Brien's brief time with the NTDP this season, both said they model their game after Jake Guentzel.

Flyers draft Jay O'Brien with the 19th overall pick
        https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...2018-nhl-draft
        Last edited by Tim Kerr #12; 06-22-2018, 11:28 PM.
        Philadelphia Flyers #1
        Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
        The rest of the 29 teams can KMA!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kerr #12 View Post
          O'Brien's upside has been compared to Joe Pavelski and similar skilled, smart players. It was level of competition plus being big-frame kid (ala Casey Mitttelstadt) which limited some's viewings and knocked him in some projections. I've never seen him play but ppl I trust raved.

I had thought Boston might try to trade up for O'Brien. Fwiw, Tony Amonte has said he has future NHL star written all over him. But he is smallish and exposure to top-end competition is limited.

Farabee and O'Brien, who got to know each other during O'Brien's brief time with the NTDP this season, both said they model their game after Jake Guentzel.

Flyers draft Jay O'Brien with the 19th overall pick
          https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...2018-nhl-draft
          I believe he was at the same Academy (school) that Amonte and JR went to. And Pierre McGuire loves talking those up, especially those in Boston area. Over the years he is very well spoken and knowledgeable of the kids coming thru these private academies and prep schools in the Northeast , seems to be his niche, more so than the CHL now since those are so well covered

Comment

His son played in USHS Prep...so maybe he has seen him play and practice and was present at his birth...so pretty much owes it to us to tells us all about the kid.

Another hockey talking head from Boston, Jimmy Murphy, claimed that we got the one guy who is going to become a superstar in O'Brien...saying the Flyers won the 1st round.

Comment

Don't follow the kids that much anymore, but Flyers scouts tend to do well at these types of events. I'll trust them awhile longer.

Comment

Here is Jimmy Murphy's tweet:

And there goes Jay O'Brien! He will be one of the best players drafted from this 2018 #NHLDraft! A true pro in the making and a future champion! Congrats #Flyers! You just scored big!

Comment

I really wanted Miller with that 19th pick. O'Brien seems like a really high ceiling pick though and could end up a top 6 center. If he pans out it will make that pick money.

Comment

watching the youtube video he's definitely not dominating because he's just faster or bigger. he's got a swagger and makes quick decisions. he's confidently shifty and always around the puck, always moving. i get the impression that his teammates just arent thinking at his level. seems like he has plenty of room to improve with a better program. hats off to the scouts if they make this one good.

Comment

Working...
                    X