Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most boring draft ever

Hardly any trades. Meh picks for us. This new nhl sucks balls
    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

I'm happy with our picks (would love for this to be a deja vu of the 2003 draft for us).
    ​​​​​​
    But do agree with you on the draft...extremely disappointing. I did like the Rags' 1st selection...looks to be a nice swing and a miss!

Comment

i dunno if iím all that impressed. i prefer more risk/reward. If a guy isnít going to have a chance to be on the top half of your roster iím not sure heís worth picking. the point of the draft should be to find stars.

unfortunately the other teams feel the same way and itís hard to trade up. i just wonder if we should be looking to overpay to do so. Iíd rather add 1 1LW via the draft than 4 3Cís.

Comment

Pretty boring. Heard that teams are waiting to see where Kovachuck goes and of clarity Tavares resigning or going to UFA before trades pick up

from a US TV perspective, NBCSN pretty much had the TSN crew with Bob McKenzie, dreger and button so it was good to have their viewpoint and expert knowledge. I suspect sports net had the cdn broadcast

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
          i dunno if iím all that impressed. i prefer more risk/reward. If a guy isnít going to have a chance to be on the top half of your roster iím not sure heís worth picking. the point of the draft should be to find stars.

unfortunately the other teams feel the same way and itís hard to trade up. i just wonder if we should be looking to overpay to do so. Iíd rather add 1 1LW via the draft than 4 3Cís.
          kinda seems like thatís what they did? Farabee supposedly has good upside and a pretty high floor, but OíBrien looks like a high motor high skill pick with a lot of risk and upside and (I think mostly because of the level of competition) a totally unknown floor.

The Flyers have taken a lot of risk over the years and made a lot of reaches mostly with good result. Do they generally refuse to draft players with low motors and concerns about lack of work ethic? Yeah, and that results in ignoring some high skill guys. But I think thatís a reasonable place to draw a line
          Last edited by ELab2; 06-23-2018, 12:13 PM.
          "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

I wish they had found a way to trade up for Zadina, but once he was off the board, I'm happy with how it went at 14. Farabee was probably the closest thing to a sniper left on the board at that point based on what I've read. There were a small handful of players that supposedly have higher floors than Farabee available, but they went for one of the best scorers available.

O'Brien appears to be a really nice risk at 19, so I approve of them taking the risk. He's high skill. Tore up the competition in the ushs-prep league in his two seasons, with 65 points in 30 games, then 80 points in 30 games. Tony Amonte was his coach and says he's a future NHL star. The reason he was projected to go late first round or early 2nd round seems to be that the ushs-prep league isn't the best competition, and his birthdate made him not eligible for the 2017 draft, but also not eligible to play in U18 worlds. So there is basically no data on him against top competition at his age. He'll go to college for 2-3 years and we'll see how he develops. But this definitely wasn't one of those safe, "two way forward who plays the game the right way" picks. So can't really ask for much more than that for me.
            Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
            Official Facebook
            Official Twitter

Comment

I agree. Despite whether the picks work out or not; I really thought there'd be some more trades and some intrigue. got excited when we were up to draft but that was it. Kind of surprised they didn't make more of a big deal about the Grubauer trade
              "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Overpay to trade up, thats what I'm saying.

Comment

I think we did well on Day 1, Day 2 I'm not over the moon about. We played it very conservative when there were guys with more upside on the board - seems like we went for need over BPA and I'm usually not a fan of that.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
                    Hardly any trades. Meh picks for us. This new nhl sucks balls
                    With you buddy. Sad. Grew up with this game, watched it, played it,followed it religiously.
                    Now...whatever. Catch a period or 2 here and there.

Its lost its place, trying to cater to Americans who donít give 2 shits about it and just the pussy people who rule the world now and hate violence but are violent in their be like us or die attitudes lol. Crazy stuff

anyway. Hockey was unique, because it blended skill with a fast pace combined with physicality. It was exciting. No sport could give you what a hockey game could

gone

the physicality, rivalries, characters...no more.

Just bland. Guess thatís what some wanted and like. Iíll pass. Canít ever let this game go but donít really give a shit much anymore.

Maybe Philly will win a cup before I die and give me some satisfaction. Just to say my team, at least the team I used to love, won.

Other than that. Heard golf or darts are on. Same level of excitement

Comment

Working...
                    X