Red Wings free agency rumor mill: Lehner, Hutton and Filppula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wings free agency rumor mill: Lehner, Hutton and Filppula

Heard on NHL Radio yesterday that Detroit was interested in Filppula then read this today..." Valtteri Filppula

Custance is a busy guy, as he's also reporting the Red Wings "have interest" in bringing back veteran center Valtteri Filppula.

Filppula left Detroit at the end of the 2012-13 season and signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Lightning sent him to Philadelphia in 2017, and that's where he has been a second- and first-line center the past two seasons.

At 34, Filppula is still considered a solid two-way center who wins face offs and tracks other teams' top players. He's comparable to Frans Nielsen, who the Red Wings picked up a few years after Filppula left. He's not going to bring a ton of goals, but he'll play a polished 200-foot game.

The Red Wings would be bringing in more veteran depth down the middle if they chose to welcome back Filppula.

The rumors will continue to swirl as the NHL off season is just getting started."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sport...pulla-to-vanek

"...At 34, Filppula is still considered a solid two-way center..."

Maybe in the AHL.

Comment

Pretty amazing how locked down Hexy has his front office...not a whisper about who they have communicated with or who they are interested in. Compare this with when Homer was steering the ship...the Flyers were linked to every big ticket f/a. I kind of like how Hexy has everyone on the team aligned...has a little Lou Lamoriello in him.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
        Pretty amazing how locked down Hexy has his front office...not a whisper about who they have communicated with or who they are interested in. Compare this with when Homer was steering the ship...the Flyers were linked to every big ticket f/a. I kind of like how Hexy has everyone on the team aligned...has a little Lou Lamoriello in him.
        As a fan, I miss the days of homer with the big moves and rumors, but I respect the process Hextall is taking and controlling the connections and conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by NCFlyer27613 View Post

As a fan, I miss the days of homer with the big moves and rumors, but I respect the process Hextall is taking and controlling the connections and conversation.
          Or we aren't talking to anyone of significance.

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog View Post
            Or we aren't talking to anyone of significance.
            We wouldn't know under Hexy.

Comment

So some good news...looks like Mike Green will be staying with the Wings. And Beagle looks to be headed to Vancouver. Two potential guys the Flyers could have targeted that wouldn't have helped.

Strange trade with the Habs acquiring Mason. Looks like Bergevin did the Jets a solid by taking over his contract and allowing the Jets to push harder for Stastny.

Comment

The only thing with all these guys signing early is I hope Ron doesn't overspend on a guy like De Haan or a 3rd/4th liner.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                  Strange trade with the Habs acquiring Mason. Looks like Bergevin did the Jets a solid by taking over his contract and allowing the Jets to push harder for Stastny.
                  This deal makes no sense unless Price is not healthy. Granted Mason has only this year left on his deal but it's for $4.1M (and he's not very good).
                  "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post
                    This deal makes no sense unless Price is not healthy. Granted Mason has only this year left on his deal but it's for $4.1M (and he's not very good).
                    I think getting Armia and 2 draft picks makes it work. Kind of funny though, as by doing this trade they take themselves out of the running for Statsny as he probably resigns now in Winnipeg. With that said maybe Montreal was never even on his list.

Comment

Working...
                    X