General Lack of Interest in NHL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Lack of Interest in NHL

Ok Irv, I'll start with a topic that is part of your statement. What is your feeling on why the seems to be a general decline in interest in the NHL and in particular like activity discussing the Flyers?

Over the last 3+ seasons the seems to be a general decline in threads started here and lack of hockey discussion. Has the new younger, faster, more skilled NHL turned off the hardcore fan base?

I know as the NHL has changed with the salary cap and type of soft play the Flyers have adapted, I'm getting less less concerned about missing or watching. I used to think clutch and grab hockey was boring. Now I'm yearning for that physical style of hockey.

3.5 year old twins and a busy job are responsible for my reduced participation. I知 watching less games for the same reason but not substantially less, and I知 following the peripheral stuff just as much (prospects, draft, FA, trade deadline, etc). I知 quite excited about the current and future high-skill makeup of the team.
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Soft team playing soft hockey in the new soft NHL.

Comment

The Phillies are playing their best ball since 2011. Fantasy football season is starting to ramp up.

Hextall's slow and steady approach, while I think it has the team on the right track, simply doesn't make for a lot of off-season excitement. As the NHL preseason approaches, I'm sure things will pick up. I'm not worried... Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
          3.5 year old twins and a busy job are responsible for my reduced participation. I知 watching less games for the same reason but not substantially less, and I知 following the peripheral stuff just as much (prospects, draft, FA, trade deadline, etc). I知 quite excited about the current and future high-skill makeup of the team.
          I'm with you, age and family definitely are taking a toll. However, I'm finding my self following the prospects, draft and FA & deadline with more interest than the actual team. It's a little depressing. Like I'm just waiting around for the big team to get interesting. I guess when I was younger, the girlfriend/future wife would get pissed because I had to watched every game. Now I'm fine with just catching the second half of the 3rd period. It used to be most watch tv for me.

Comment

I know that purists are upset about the way the game is changing..but in retrospect I'm glad they are making changes...as more and more data about head injury surfaces..we're finding that things are much worse than we thought..as a healthcare professional who sometimes treats TBI..I can say it's devastating for the patient, the families and everyone involved.not to mention the costs

as far as lack of interest..i think it's global in sports not just the NHL..viewership for the NFL is dropping as well...LeBron is carrying the NBA and their viewership is pretty high..but I think that people are getting tired of the fact that it's entirely about $$$ and the spirit of the competitions has been diluted..I find myself more ambivalent about even Flyers games...I used to be like: "gotta get home and watch the Flyers!"

but now, I'm like "meh..I'll catch the thrid period, or the next game"

for NFL...it's not even about the games anymore...every second of every broadcast they are trying to sell you something..and every little thing that used to be complimentary now seemingly has a price tag...when I first bought Sunday ticket it was $149 a season..now it's $349...no thanks...

Comment

I think it's just that message boards are dying and people are moving to social media for discussion and news. I still love it here.

Comment

I have to agree with ICEHokie, people are using other mediums. I have seen a similar decline in activity in the lacrosse league MB that I haunt

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
                  I think it's just that message boards are dying and people are moving to social media for discussion and news. I still love it here.
                  Totally this. I think there is a lot of chatter happening now on a lot of different mediums. Back in the day this used to be one of the only places you could discuss the Flyers. Now you have numerous blogs and their comment forms, podcasts, social media. Regardless I still really like it in here and intend to stick around!

Comment

I still watch the Flyers every chance I get, and I enjoy keeping tabs on the prospects. It's the rest of the NHL that pretty much bores me, although I loved seeing Ovie hoist the Cup this year if it wasn't going to be the Flyers.

Comment

Working...
                    X