Tom Wilson's contract ripple effect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Wilson's contract ripple effect

Seeing the Tom Wilson contract (6yr - $31M - $5.166M - modified NTC), i pretty much am expecting Simmonds to sign a $7M/yr longterm contract when he finally does sign. If its anywhere near the $7M level, do we have any chance of seeing him sign with the Flyers? I know we have a bunch of cap space, but the kids will be getting their share of the pie soon...so not sure how this will make sense.

Personally, i don't see how we can have another $7M+ forward.

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
    Seeing the Tom Wilson contract (6yr - $31M - $5.166M - modified NTC), i pretty much am expecting Simmonds to sign a $7M/yr longterm contract when he finally does sign. If its anywhere near the $7M level, do we have any chance of seeing him sign with the Flyers? I know we have a bunch of cap space, but the kids will be getting their share of the pie soon...so not sure how this will make sense.

Personally, i don't see how we can have another $7M+ forward.
    IF he can get back to playing like he did before the injuries, I hope they sign him then. Wait to see if he still has it.

Now if the Flyers sign him... When will the next lockout /buyout period take place? Or you could always expose him in the next expansion draft in a couple of years if he is not the player they want to keep at that time. Or trade him out west, in a couple of years, to keep him away from TO or other rivials in the east.

Because of those options down the road, I am not worrying about what contract Simmonds ends up with that much (within reason). I just don't want to see him in a leaf uniform anytime soon (almost positive he would sign there as a FA and he is from the area. Probably sign a home town discount contract to play there). If I were Hextall, I would want to have some control over where he may or may not end up. JMO.
    Last edited by Tim Kerr #12; 07-30-2018, 11:28 AM.
    Philadelphia Flyers #1
    Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
    The rest of the 29 teams can KMA!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kerr #12 View Post

IF he can get back to playing like he did before the injuries, I hope they sign him then. Wait to see if he still has it.

Now if the Flyers sign him... When will the next lockout /buyout period take place? Or you could always expose him in the next expansion draft in a couple of years if he is not the player they want to keep at that time. Or trade him out west, in a couple of years, to keep him away from TO or other rivials in the east.

Because of those options down the road, I am not worrying about what contract Simmonds ends up with that much (within reason). I just don't want to see him in a leaf uniform anytime soon (almost positive he would sign there as a FA and he is from the area. Probably sign a home town discount contract to play there). If I were Hextall, I would want to have some control over where he may or may not end up. JMO.
      With the Tavares signing and Nylander/Marner/Matthews coming up, I doubt the Leafs have room for Simmonds at a high cap hit. I also doubt Simmonds does a hometown discount as he has stated before that he grew up a Wings fan and not a Leafs fan.

I love Simmonds but I can't see signing a long-term big-money deal with his style of play. It would be a massive gamble. Even though we have cap space now, we're going to need room for Provorov, Konecny and Patrick in the very near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit View Post

With the Tavares signing and Nylander/Marner/Matthews coming up, I doubt the Leafs have room for Simmonds at a high cap hit. I also doubt Simmonds does a hometown discount as he has stated before that he grew up a Wings fan and not a Leafs fan.

I love Simmonds but I can't see signing a long-term big-money deal with his style of play. It would be a massive gamble. Even though we have cap space now, we're going to need room for Provorov, Konecny and Patrick in the very near future.
        Never heard that, thanks. I could handle him on the Wings for some reason, even though they are in the east. Shows how much I despise the Leaflets.
        Philadelphia Flyers #1

Comment

after what happened in Detroit...would he go there?

Comment

I think we can fit in a 7M forward, but there's no way it could be any more than 3-4 years. I think that's going to be our hang up with Simmonds. Money won't be the issue; term will. He's going to be looking for a deal (in terms of length) the way Backes and Lucic cashed in on 2 years ago.

again, money will not be the problem. In the next 2 years, we have RFA's most likely on bridge deals in Provorov, laughton, nolan and konecny. It seems like a lot, but don't forget we're going to be shedding Lehtera's 4.7 mill, along with decisions on re-upping Raffl and Weal that'll most likely be less than their current contracts (unless Weal really breaks out this year).

It's the 4-5 years out window that's more up in the air than the 2-3 year window. If Wayne wants more than 4 years, I'm afraid it won't be in the orange and black
            "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Oh yeah, my high dollar amount for him also assumes he wants term.

On a tangent, we shouldn't be bridging Provorov or Patrick - probably not Konecny either. We will end up paying for it in the long run if we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit View Post
                Oh yeah, my high dollar amount for him also assumes he wants term.

On a tangent, we shouldn't be bridging Provorov or Patrick - probably not Konecny either. We will end up paying for it in the long run if we do.
                I agree with you on the bridge deals. I was just suggesting that route as an option if wanting a high dollar on Simmonds, plus some flexibility.

Konecny could be interesting depending on this season. If he improves further then it's a no brainer; but if he stagnates or regresses, I would have to believe he gets a modest raise on a 2+ year contract so as to maintain his RFA status while we see if he's definitely the real deal (IMHO, he is; but for the sake of argument)
                "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
                  after what happened in Detroit...would he go there?
                  $$$$ and term I suppose...

Would it shock anyone though if he took another team friendly deal with the Flyers, because he like's it in Philly? Doubt it, but that would be awesome.
                  Philadelphia Flyers #1

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kerr #12 View Post

$$$$ and term I suppose...

Would it shock anyone though if he took another team friendly deal with the Flyers, because he like's it in Philly? Doubt it, but that would be awesome.
                    Taking a 3yr @ $7M contract would make sense if he feels he there is something special being built with the Flyers and that this window would allow him a chance to play for a real contender for the Cup. A 3yr deal would possible allow him to sign another contract at age 33/34 that would be relative to a new (and improved) salary cap situation (post lockout part deux).

Comment

Working...
                    X