Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What hopeful surprise are looking forward to seeing in training camp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hopeful surprise are looking forward to seeing in training camp?

Props to Vedder for posing this question in the General Lack of Interest thread...

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
    ...Anyone have any dark horses for who is going to shine in camp this year? I think Frost comes in and wins that 3C spot.
    I'd like to see people's thoughts on this question. Vedder...please expand on what you think it will take for Hexy & Hak to feel good about allowing Frost to start in the 3C role.

For me, Frost making the team would mean that he truly forced his way onto the team, like Provorov & TK did a couple of years ago. He will need to show that he will be able to survive the grind of an NHL season, while being able to make a real contribution to the offensive success of this team.

I will go with Mikhail Vorobyev. I think his previous pro experience will prepare him for the challenge of winning the 3C role. Having spent last year in North America will also allow for those growing pains that many Euros encounter to be something he doesn't have to worry about. I am hopeful that Vorobyev will be able to allow Laughton to take on the 4C role and Lehtera to not play regular minutes as a center on this team.

If you take Hextall at face value and what he has said in the press for Frost to make the team he needs to prove he is physically strong enough to play against men in the NHL for a full season. Some might point to Konecny making the team as a slight 19 year old but winger is a less physically demanding position than center. I think if Frost comes into camp at > 180 pounds, and showcases his high end skill and IQ he could take the position. He will have to severely outplay Laughton, Weal, Vorobyev and Vech to win the spot though. I imagine in the back of Hextalls mind is the Seattle expansion as well and delaying Frost by a year could also help in that regard depending on when Seattle enters (latest reports are the arena reno is way over budget).

Vorobyev is my dark horse for the 3C position. Again he would need to show he is better than Weal and Laughton. This management seems to have a system where a player will not lose their position unless someone dramatically better takes their spot. If you are a similar product to something they aren't going to swap you in. Curious how Vorobyev's english is at this point?

Agreed on Lehtera, I hope he spends most of this year in the press box.

Comment

My top hope is that Lindblom is able to put the biscuit in the basket. Last year he did everything but score. Getting goals would boost him psychologically and push him to elevate his entire game.
      Vorobyov being able to work as 3C would be great. His game awareness is advanced for his age. He may not be a hot goal scorer but he can handle both ends of the ice.
      Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Gudas, AMac, and Hagg look like the top six on D but I'd like to see Myers force his way into that group and push either Gudas or AMac out in a trade.
      As far as I'm concerned, the goaltending is a mess. I have no faith that Elliott and Neuvirth will make it through the season in good health. Hopefully Lyon will be as good as many think that he is because another goalie will probably be needed this season.
      "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

I'm definitely not rooting for Weal to play 3C center. I always like to see the 3C have some more size and grit. Laughton seems like a 3rd/4th line tweener, I'd rather keep him on the 4th line. I'd be interested in seeing what Vorobyov can do.

Comment

Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post
          My top hope is that Lindblom is able to put the biscuit in the basket. Last year he did everything but score. Getting goals would boost him psychologically and push him to elevate his entire game.
          As far as I'm concerned, the goaltending is a mess. I have no faith that Elliott and Neuvirth will make it through the season in good health. Hopefully Lyon will be as good as many think that he is because another goalie will probably be needed this season.
          A great camp from Lindblom would be my best hope. Goalie looks like a mess, second hope is that 2 of the batch look really good.

Comment

in the spirit of the question, I'll really go out and reach here. My hopeful surprise will be Aube-Kubel making the big squad. If he's really tuned in, there's no reason that he can't be what Scotty Laughton did last year. Be that 4th line guy with the energy to frustrate the opposition and when needed, pot a few goals as well. (I'd also really like to see him go through with the whole number 47 jersey for the sake of the nickname...I'm sure AMac would give it up for something that awesome)
            "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
              in the spirit of the question, I'll really go out and reach here. My hopeful surprise will be Aube-Kubel making the big squad. If he's really tuned in, there's no reason that he can't be what Scotty Laughton did last year. Be that 4th line guy with the energy to frustrate the opposition and when needed, pot a few goals as well. (I'd also really like to see him go through with the whole number 47 jersey for the sake of the nickname...I'm sure AMac would give it up for something that awesome)
              Don't forget getting suspended at least once in the season!

Comment

Working...
              X