Center Ice or NHL.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Ice or NHL.com

Living where I do, NYR, NYI, and NJD games would be blacked out, but I'll see them on the MSG network... So no issues about missing games.

Which service should I order to watch the games?
    Does NHL.com have a DVR option?

Can anyone give their Pros/Cons?
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Unless major changes happened recently every year most people say nhltv is superior to center ice. My friend and I share a login for nhltv the last couple seasons for out of market games and i've never had complaints. Solid streams in 1080 and no commercials or ads. shows an nhl logo graphic during commercial breaks.

As far as DVR, you won't be able to watch a replay of an in market game until 48 hours after the game ended. (I honestly can't remember if its the same for out of market games or if you can watch anytime. I never really tried to watch an out of market game that wasn't happening live) After that 48 hour period though not only is watching the full game start to finish an option, but theres also a condensed game version thats usually between 10-20 minutes. Kind of like the 3-4 minute highlight videos nhl.com has, but includes a lot of other chunks of action to get a much better feel for how the flow of the game went.

There are settings to always have scores of games hidden if you want, and if you are trying to turn on a game 90 minutes into the game it'll ask you if you want to start from the beginning of the broadcast or watch live from where its at.
    Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
    Official Facebook
    Official Twitter

Comment

Hattrix, if your cable is provided by comcast xfinity though and your main interest is watching flyers games then you should be able to stream them to a mobile device (live only) using the nbc sports app with your xfinity log in. (Perhaps this was only for xfinity subscribers whose address is in the philly market though? Like during games they'd always advertise how people were streaming in other cities and other countries, but I don't know if it was only an option for them because their xfinity cable that they paid for was in the philly market. I seem to remember seeing San Jose Sharks games and other ones as options on the app too though, so maybe its just all local teams who are owned by xfinity)

I used it frequently on my phone when I wasn't home this past season and it worked great. pulled up the stream on my nexus 5 phone in the nbc sports app and if i was at a place with a tv I could cast it to the TV.

LASTLY, if you use reddit r/nhlstreams you can almost always find a working HD feed for whatever game you want.
      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
      Official Facebook
      Official Twitter

Comment

Ok question I don't have cable at all and my internet is through a smaller company. I live in Ontario and have had Center Ice when I did have cable. Does NHLTV work without having cable?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HerbGreen View Post
          Ok question I don't have cable at all and my internet is through a smaller company. I live in Ontario and have had Center Ice when I did have cable. Does NHLTV work without having cable?
          I don't know how different it might be in Canada but NHLTV is totally independent of cable in the US. I use NHLTV and the only ways I even know of to access it are my phone and my computer. My TV is connected to my computer via an HDMI cable and essentially functions as a giant computer monitor when using NHLTV.

I think PS4 and Xbox might also be used to run NHLTV through your TV, but not sure about that.
          Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
          Official Facebook
          Official Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the info Pink.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HerbGreen View Post
              Thanks for the info Pink.
              No problem. NHLTV has a pretty decent amount of info. Looks like xbox and ps4 have nhl apps for tv, as well as chromecast and amazonfiresticks and stuff.

https://www.nhl.com/subscribe#devices
              Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
              Official Facebook
              Official Twitter

Comment

I was concerned that Roger's here had exclusivity but it doesn't appear so.
                sigpic

Comment

Have been using NHL.tv (formerly gamecenterlive) for 7-8 years now. It has definitely gotten better. The experiments with commercials seem to have failed so you rarely see them. The streams are less flaky than they used to be. They still use a flash based player if you are using a computer and a browser. They really need to move to HTML5 and things should be a bit better still. The mobile app is a native player (no flash) and is much better, but I hardly ever want to watch on a small screen.

Main caveat I did not see mentioned above is that you'll need a VPN if you want to watch all the games same day. The Flyers have about 30 games a year that get broadcast "nationally" on NBC Sports which are subject to the 48 hour blackout no matter where you are in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzus View Post
                    Main caveat I did not see mentioned above is that you'll need a VPN if you want to watch all the games same day. The Flyers have about 30 games a year that get broadcast "nationally" on NBC Sports which are subject to the 48 hour blackout no matter where you are in the US.
                    Oh yeah, that's a given with either one. I assumed hattrix's problem was that he's living out of market, not that he cut the chord. Either way, r/nhlstreams should get the job done for blacked out games.
                    Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                    Official Facebook
                    Official Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X