No announcement yet.

Center Ice or NHL.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disabled ad block for the nhl site and playback has still been terrible lately.

One of my TVs is a Samsung smart tv. So an app may exist for it, but to use it I'd have to turn the TV's built-in wifi back on, and that would mean getting Samsung push notifications again. Super annoying. Not gonna happen.

I'll be at my folks house for the holiday. They have a stick Roku. I'll see if I can set the app up on it while I'm there. If it works I'll get one for myself.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by dogzus View Post
      I disabled ad block for the nhl site and playback has still been terrible lately.

One of my TVs is a Samsung smart tv. So an app may exist for it, but to use it I'd have to turn the TV's built-in wifi back on, and that would mean getting Samsung push notifications again. Super annoying. Not gonna happen.

I'll be at my folks house for the holiday. They have a stick Roku. I'll see if I can set the app up on it while I'm there. If it works I'll get one for myself.

Thanks for the info!
      sure! i love watching on my tv with the roku, i know exactly how many times i have to click the FF button to skip a tv timeout, a line change, a period timeout, an icing, etc. can get thru a game in like 1:20 on the dvr. and playback is mostly flawless, altho after a FF it takes 5-10s for the bit rate to go back to full HD.

i have a samsung also, you can disable the ad tracking stuff if you dig deep, deep into the settings. i dont get push notifications but it still does show a ridiculous ad on my on-screen input bar.

roku also has ads that pop up in the ui. and they have non-programmable buttons on the remote for companies that paid money to be there, and if you (usually accidentally) press one, it takes you to an ad screen to buy an account. I just ripped out the buttons. i dunno about the fire stick and ads, i assume they do something similar. basically unless you're trying to run custom software every media device tries to monetize you with ads and selling your viewing data.

Comment

NHL TV says that my area code 07843 is blackout for NYR, NJD, NYI, PHI .... So that means that I can't watch any of those games live .... True?
        If the game is a nationally televised game, I wouldn't see ANY Flyers games either?

Please help me understand how blackouts work.
        I paid for Center Ice, but I see all NY and NJ games on my cable company channel (MSG). I want to get DirectTV NOW and cut the cord but it seems like I'm screwed with blackouts and nationally televised games if I get NHL TV
        "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

NHL.tv is really meant for out-of-market fans. Even then, the number of blackouts is so high that it is only worth it if you also have a VPN to get around the restrictions. It's a good alternative to Center Ice at that point. I cut the cord in 2010.

Regarding my earlier comments about the streaming being unreliable when viewed in a browser, that cleared up after the new year. I may still get a Roku but the urgency isn't there right now.

Comment

Last year in Brigantine I was blacked out for Flyers, Devils, and Islanders. The year before in Gainesville it was blacked out for Tampa, and before that in Naples it was blacked out for Panthers and Tampa. The blackout ranges are ***inine, but I never found any way around them, though in all three locations I could not get local broadcaster, yet still even had some national games blacked out on regular cable (if the Panthers were in Philly, Sunsports channel was not available in Naples, but the game was on NBC or NHL Network and those were blacked out). I hate Bettman, but at least he hasn't yet figured out to charge for/black out the radio broadcasts as well (I couldn't even listen to half of an Eagles post-game show without paying NFL for their radio ticket because they had WIP internet audio feed blocked for an hour before and after games).

Short of when I can ever move back to Hawai`i, I think that the blackouts will keep me from ever getting NHL.tv

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891
              Last year in Brigantine I was blacked out for Flyers, Devils, and Islanders. The year before in Gainesville it was blacked out for Tampa, and before that in Naples it was blacked out for Panthers and Tampa. The blackout ranges are ***inine, but I never found any way around them, though in all three locations I could not get local broadcaster, yet still even had some national games blacked out on regular cable (if the Panthers were in Philly, Sunsports channel was not available in Naples, but the game was on NBC or NHL Network and those were blacked out). I hate Bettman, but at least he hasn't yet figured out to charge for/black out the radio broadcasts as well (I couldn't even listen to half of an Eagles post-game show without paying NFL for their radio ticket because they had WIP internet audio feed blocked for an hour before and after games).

Short of when I can ever move back to Hawai`i, I think that the blackouts will keep me from ever getting NHL.tv
              Did you try using a VPN with NHL.tv?

As far as I can tell that would eliminate any blackout issues for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What if I connect to nhl TV by using my buddy's log in. He lives in Florida. Would that allow me to view the games because it's a Florida account even though I'm physically in NJ?
                "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

No they go by IP address.

Which is why a VPN would likely work.

With a VPN when you connect via the internet you can choose a different locale, which would generate an IP address from that location, in theory fooling NHL.tv to thinking you live I. That location and thereby avoiding the NHL archaic blackout policy.

Simply using your friends login info will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you Strohs

Comment

Somewhat related, I currently watch nhl.tv on IPad or via Apple TV on my HDTV. I am getting a Samsung smart TV installed soon. Does anyone know if NHL tv app is available on Samsung or if I will still need to hook up Apple TV and run thru that ?

Comment

Working...
                      X