• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle the league's 32nd team

Anyone worried?
    https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-one-vote-...home-1.1184804

should we be?

its' another western conference team, and it evens out the numbers
    "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

As soon as I heard the expansion moving forward I thought about who we may possibly lose in a draft. We will probably lose a good player considering all the young kids that will be eligible

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
        should we be?

its' another western conference team, and it evens out the numbers
        Who might we lose?

Comment

The official vote hasn't happened, but Seattle has been all but definite for over a year. Expansion draft 2020 is happening. Anyone who was in the NHL/AHL last year will be eligible. Anyone who was in juniors will be exempt. (Bettman has said in several interviews ever since Vegas that the next time the league expands, the expansion draft rules will be identical.)

It seemed like there were a couple teams that gave Vegas a pick for a gentleman's agreement not to take a certain player. Depending on how the defense pans out, I could see Hextall doing that.

If Sanheim and Myers both make big strides the next 2 seasons they'd be in a rough spot deciding which one to protect. And there's also an outside chance that Hagg or Morin make huge strides the next 2 years.

Or, they could leave an expensive but solid forward unprotected as bait to try to hold on to all d-men. If Simmonds is resigned and still around, I'd bet they leave both Simmonds and JVR unprotected if several young forwards have knocked down the door at that point and the D is super deep. It would suck to lose a top 6 forward production for nothing, but it would also free up salary to make a free agent play or to pay up if we have kids turning into all-stars. Also in the (highly unlikely imo) event that Voracek falls off a cliff the next two years he could be left unprotected. Giroux has a NMC so he must be protected.

7 forwards:
          Giroux
          Voracek
          Couturier
          Patrick
          Konecny
          Young kid #1 (Lindblom?)
          Young kid #2 (Voroboyev?)

unprotected
          JVR
          Simmonds?

That hinges on young forwards developing obviously. If scoring depth doesn't pan out with young guys they'd probably protect JVR.

3 Dmen:
          Provorov
          Ghost
          Sanheim / Myers?

unprotected
          Sanheim/Myers?
          Morin
          Hagg

1 goalie:
          Who cares, Hart will be exempt.
          Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
          Official Facebook
          Official Twitter

Comment

Also, even though I just posted that long post about what might happen, I never in a million years expected Vegas to take Bellemare from us. I thought Raffl or Read were the no brainers. While we'd seen Read decline, he was a forward available that had scored over 20 goals before in the NHL. There weren't many of those guys available to Vegas in the draft.
            Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
            Official Facebook
            Official Twitter

Comment

It means when the penguins relocate...they'll stay in the East!

Quebec Penguins? Quebec Nordiques wih a Penguin themed logo?

Comment

I think we can plan on losing one pretty decent player. That's how the expansion draft works for any good team now... which doesn't kill me.

What would really stink would be to lose a bonafide cheap young star. Lets say we lose Myers, or Lindblom.... you're probably talking like a 2nd pair D, or atleast a 2nd pair winger...these aren't irreplaceable pieces. BUT, if for example, it becomes clear that Myers, Sanheim, Ghost, AND Provorov are all basically 1st-pair talents and we have to lose one, we'll probably want to trade one away before the draft.

Hexy's no-NTC policy is really an asset here, also.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
                  I think we can plan on losing one pretty decent player. That's how the expansion draft works for any good team now... which doesn't kill me.

What would really stink would be to lose a bonafide cheap young star. Lets say we lose Myers, or Lindblom.... you're probably talking like a 2nd pair D, or atleast a 2nd pair winger...these aren't irreplaceable pieces. BUT, if for example, it becomes clear that Myers, Sanheim, Ghost, AND Provorov are all basically 1st-pair talents and we have to lose one, we'll probably want to trade one away before the draft.

Hexy's no-NTC policy is really an asset here, also.
                  As was his drafting lots of NCAA talent and simmering prospects in the CHL. I would hate to lose Meyers and wonder if Hextall would move draft picks to prevent that? Although from what we saw with Florida and Minny making deals didn't exactly work out that well for the teams. We might just be resigned to the fact we will lose a really good player. At least it is only 1.

A work stoppage might delay things, but I wonder if there was one if they still did the expansion draft in 2020?

Comment

Another thing that might delay things. Is if the Key Arena does not get finished in time. They have not started yet. It is a very aggressive remodel.

Comment

Working...
                    X