Chuck Fletcher GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

I think that the reason I'm not sharing such excitement is because I think the team is not close enough to be big buyers, ... and selling in scenarios such as, e.g., "Simmonds for Prospect #1 and Pick(s)" I could agree with being a sound long-term move, but do nothing to create current excitement. Rather, the types of moves I could think would be for the long-term best would entail more "waiting and waiting."
    I guess we can agree to disagree.
    how long do we have to wait? Another 4 years before we win a playoff series? That is my immediate goal for the boys. That can happen, this year.

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post

I guess we can agree to disagree.
      how long do we have to wait? Another 4 years before we win a playoff series? That is my immediate goal for the boys. That can happen, this year.
      I think I "hope" for that (winning a playoff series this year), but I don't "anticipate" it.

I'll admit that this year I don't know enough about what current options are available to improve this season's prospects. (See the Parayko discussions). For example, the new cap space news I think significantly increases the likelihood of re-signing Simmonds from where they had been. But if the two sides are really so far apart on salary/term/both that the team still can't get a deal done, then I'd rather sell him for assets v. keeping him to just win one round this year but then losing him for nothing.

Also, I think that the team might be 1-2 years away from contending & not 4 or more. I see part of Hextall's undoing being his gamble on those few areas that he ended up getting rightly criticized for: e.g. that both Elliot & Neuvirth would be healthy and competent; that Vorobyov was ready to be the 3C; etc. Such failings I think can be fixed later this year or in the next off season for next year without much expense of assets. I just needn't "must" make moves to fix those mistakes this season to win a playoff round this season.

But, also easy to wait & see what this new management might be able to work up.

Comment

With Chuck Fletcher, Rick Wilson, Flyers starting a new vibe
        ...Ron Hextall hired Murphy the year before Dave Hakstol came in as head coach and Murphy reported directly to Hextall, an uncomfortable situation for both Hakstol and his predecessor, Craig Berube.

That won’t be the case this time. Hakstol was the one who made first contact with fellow North Dakota University alum Wilson last week to try and lure him out of retirement. This will be a much healthier working relationship considering they’ve known each other personally and professionally for years...

Full article:
        https://www.courierp...ibe/2207424002/
        Philadelphia Flyers #1
        Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
        The rest of the 29 teams can KMA!

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

I think I "hope" for that (winning a playoff series this year), but I don't "anticipate" it.

I'll admit that this year I don't know enough about what current options are available to improve this season's prospects. (See the Parayko discussions). For example, the new cap space news I think significantly increases the likelihood of re-signing Simmonds from where they had been. But if the two sides are really so far apart on salary/term/both that the team still can't get a deal done, then I'd rather sell him for assets v. keeping him to just win one round this year but then losing him for nothing.

Also, I think that the team might be 1-2 years away from contending & not 4 or more. I see part of Hextall's undoing being his gamble on those few areas that he ended up getting rightly criticized for: e.g. that both Elliot & Neuvirth would be healthy and competent; that Vorobyov was ready to be the 3C; etc. Such failings I think can be fixed later this year or in the next off season for next year without much expense of assets. I just needn't "must" make moves to fix those mistakes this season to win a playoff round this season.

But, also easy to wait & see what this new management might be able to work up.
          I think Fletcher needs to make his vision clear to everyone and follow through with that. Making a move or two to win a round in the playoffs is silly if you don’t have a long range goal, the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post

I think Fletcher needs to make his vision clear to everyone and follow through with that. Making a move or two to win a round in the playoffs is silly if you don’t have a long range goal, the cup.
            Agree. All I heard from him is how he thinks we can make the playoffs this year. Well no freaking shit. I could have gotten them in the playoffs. If we had *NO* GM i bet they would have gutted out another 1st round exit.

I only care about winning the cup. That's the standard I'll judge him by.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake

Agree. All I heard from him is how he thinks we can make the playoffs this year. Well no freaking shit. I could have gotten them in the playoffs. If we had *NO* GM i bet they would have gutted out another 1st round exit.

I only care about winning the cup. That's the standard I'll judge him by.
              Ya I’d rather suffer for five years and win a cup

Then always lose in the first round

Build a champion not an ok team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure who he might be thinking in terms of goalie...but the one concern I'd have is if he tries to start bringing in has beens from the Wild...since he built that team..he might have undue loyalty to some of those players...at the risk of some of our prospects...at this point I'm all for trading Ghost...the Pens game showed me what a liability he can be...when he tries to play defense..it ain't pretty...if there is a comparable d man on the Wild who is better defensively...I say do it...

Comment

Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
                  Not sure who he might be thinking in terms of goalie...but the one concern I'd have is if he tries to start bringing in has beens from the Wild...since he built that team..he might have undue loyalty to some of those players...at the risk of some of our prospects...at this point I'm all for trading Ghost...the Pens game showed me what a liability he can be...when he tries to play defense..it ain't pretty...if there is a comparable d man on the Wild who is better defensively...I say do it...
                  We all know that Ghost is one dimensional. He is tremendous in the offensive zone and on the power play, but defensively he is a liability with his lack of size and strength...when he doesn’t win battles with his quickness in the D-zone, he is in big trouble. IMHO, he is not a guy you can win with as a first D-man pairing...he is just too small and too weak!

I am all in making him very available!

Comment

Originally posted by behn3 View Post

We all know that Ghost is one dimensional. He is tremendous in the offensive zone and on the power play, but defensively he is a liability with his lack of size and strength...when he doesn’t win battles with his quickness in the D-zone, he is in big trouble. IMHO, he is not a guy you can win with as a first D-man pairing...he is just too small and too weak!

Why isn't Kimmo hired as his personal coach?

Comment

Originally posted by behn3 View Post

But, need be be only "first D-man pairing" or else moved? I'd love if all the other D-men reach their potential/expectations leaving Gostisbehere to have reduced ice time made up of prime PP minutes plus lesser ES minutes. So my openess to moving him would be based on a big return.

Comment

Working...
                      X