Fire Gordon and Fletcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
    Can anyone remember when the Flyers drafted a true sniper?
    The last pure sniper i can remember (in the same boat as Brett Hull) would have been John LeClair (but not drafted by the Flyers). Prior to that...Tim Kerr...again not drafted by the Flyers.

Comment

you dont easily get players that project as pure snipers with mid 1sts. We really needed to go full tank from the moment Hexy came in, but he was unable to do that.

I think in retrospect 1) we didnt get elite prospects with our down years because of the 'retool not rebuild' philosophy and 2) the young players we did draft are going to take longer than we hoped to mature. We don't even have all our d prospects playing in the NHL yet, let alone seasoned. Generally lower picks are going to need more time to become effective.

I think it'll make us all happier (the team and fans) to reset expectations back to "we're still rebuilding". sell off the vets, draft young forwards. Sanheim/Myers/Provorov/Hart will mature and if we add on a couple top-5 forwards in the draft in the next 2 years we're dangerous.

we're all angry because this team is so far from what was promised. forget the promises, and there's still a lot to be optimistic about going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

The last pure sniper i can remember (in the same boat as Brett Hull) would have been John LeClair (but not drafted by the Flyers). Prior to that...Tim Kerr...again not drafted by the Flyers.
        That's what I mean, every one that we've had going back to Reggie Leach, it seems like someone all of a sudden in the organization woke up along the way and said "we need a sniper" so they traded for one, we haven't had one since Leclair. That tells me someone in the organization has been asleep at the wheel for a long time. I realize with a sniper, there's going to be defensive deficiencies, but with one, you always have "that guy" that can tie or win a game late for you.

Comment

Working...
        X