Flyers GM Position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyers GM Position

Im just curious about the reason why Hextall was fired and replaced by Fletcher when Homer cited philosophical differences and the rumour was he wasn't improving the NHL roster. What exactly has Fletcher done to really improve it? Yes he got rid of Weise,Weal,Lehtera(sort of) Leier Stolarz and Simmer and brought in Talbot and Hartman and called up Hart ,Morin and Myers two of which Hextall drafted. So was Hextall fired because he wouldn't call up Hart alone? Fletcher had no choice but to call him up due to injuries. What am I missing here? What exactly has Fletcher done that Hextall wouldn't have? The cap space this summer was Hextalls doing so that doesn't count. There had to be more to this because I just don't see what good it did to make a change because Fletcher has done nothing in my opinion. How is this team drastically better to warrant a GM change? Im not a fan of Fletchers but I honestly hope he does some good this summer but Im not seeing much so far in my opinon.I would have liked to see some of the kids called up instead of Varone and Myers playing instead of AMac . At least that would have been different than Hextall. Im not expecting Fletcher to turn over the roster drastically in a few months but doing anything other than what Hextall would have done anyway would at least warrant why the GM was changed. I guess this summer will determine what direction Fletcher takes the team . Im just not impressed with Fletcher so far,just my opinion .
    Last edited by Cup4Recchi8; 02-26-2019, 02:52 AM.
    sigpicPhiladelphia Flyers: Home of future Stanley Cup Champions on other teams.

Willing to get rid of hak. Thats the most important. Hexy wasnt willing to abort that relationship and fans werent happy

Comment

As Clown baby said, he wouldn’t get rid of Hak, and also wouldn’t budge on youth and staying his course. Perception had grown he was over valuing his prospects and/or taking to long to develop. I believe Hart would never have been in NHL this year.

Comment

Don’t you think it’s a little bit too early to judge fletcher’s work?

Comment

Originally posted by newgodz View Post
          Don’t you think it’s a little bit too early to judge fletcher’s work?
          Yes and no,my point was that up to this time Fletcher hasn't really done anything that wouldn't have been done anyway and in my opinion has been less than impressive. I do hope he has a good summer and gets this team back into the playoffs with some good signings and trades. I missed the whole Hakstol issue ,Im sure that played a lot into it too,maybe a lot into it. If Hexy chose to go down with Hakstol then it was all justified. I just feel that Fletcher needs to have a great summer with fixing the NHL roster to justify the change.
          sigpicPhiladelphia Flyers: Home of future Stanley Cup Champions on other teams.

Comment

I don't think you can judge Fletcher, like you said, on just the last few months. I think we'll see what he's about at the draft and over the summer during FA.

Comment

Also when reading all the articles (Bill M, Sam C etc) there was a toxic work environment there. People hating their jobs, Everything being a state secret, Hextall as a dictator, spies on the team etc, and his treating of Dave Scott like he was a nobody. So putting the pieces together it was probably more personal than job related, but when taken as a whole he died on Haxtol hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Cup4Recchi8 View Post
                Im just curious about the reason why Hextall was fired and replaced by Fletcher when Homer cited philosophical differences and the rumour was he wasn't improving the NHL roster. What exactly has Fletcher done to really improve it? Yes he got rid of Weise,Weal,Lehtera(sort of) Leier Stolarz and Simmer and brought in Talbot and Hartman and called up Hart ,Morin and Myers two of which Hextall drafted. So was Hextall fired because he wouldn't call up Hart alone? Fletcher had no choice but to call him up due to injuries. What am I missing here? What exactly has Fletcher done that Hextall wouldn't have? The cap space this summer was Hextalls doing so that doesn't count. There had to be more to this because I just don't see what good it did to make a change because Fletcher has done nothing in my opinion. How is this team drastically better to warrant a GM change? Im not a fan of Fletchers but I honestly hope he does some good this summer but Im not seeing much so far in my opinon.I would have liked to see some of the kids called up instead of Varone and Myers playing instead of AMac . At least that would have been different than Hextall. Im not expecting Fletcher to turn over the roster drastically in a few months but doing anything other than what Hextall would have done anyway would at least warrant why the GM was changed. I guess this summer will determine what direction Fletcher takes the team . Im just not impressed with Fletcher so far,just my opinion .
                I think you should reread your first post. Hextall did none of this. Fletch moved the needle six weeks into his tenure. Yeah, they might seem like small moves, but Hexy wasn't moving, at all. TOO SLOW MAN! TOO SLOW!
                Anyhow, Fletch opened up some space for the youth to get going. Look at Sanheim. With Hak and Hexy, would he be playing, this much?
                just my 2 cents.

Comment

I think this summer will be very telling for Fletch. Will he get Q here, sign a legit free agent, etc... Honestly, I think he has done well to this point. Under Hextall this team was going nowhere fast as he refused to veer from his strategy of hoarding draft picks and prospects. There is no reason this team couldn't compete this year. From what I understand Hextall was toxic and stubborn. Hakstol had real problems with bringing up and playing some of these guys on a regular basis and even benched guys like Ghost randomly. Keep I'm mind what Fletcher walked into. The one thing I have really liked about Fletcher is it seems the young guys are getting a real chance now. Hart was necessary due to injuries but Meyers is up now. Sanheim playing real minutes and excelling, Lindblom has been given a chance to succeed and has answered the call.
                  The whole Hextall deal with spying and absolute control was a recipe for disaster and is actually very odd.

Comment

I feel like Hexy did everything right up until not firing hakstol. But in his defense there was no available G out there and bringing Hart up into the shitshow at that time might not have been wise. Hart started to roll right before finally being brought up and that was fortunate timing. In my opinion Hart is the only reason Fletch is not looking like a lame duck. I don't know for sure but I would guess Homer was back seat driving and Hexy wasn't listening because he was on track with a plan. Just my 2 cents.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X