RFA interesting idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFA interesting idea...

With the cap strapped Maple Leafs and Lightning should the Flyers RFA Marner or Point? Neither have the room to match it with the amount of other players they have to sign How about Kapanen? He wouldn't cost the 1st rounders. Marner and Point each 82 points so far this year. Does a trade happen for one of their rights? I would absolutely consider any of these options. Every one of the 3 is a future star and under 22.

Remember. During the summer, teams can run 10% above the cap. So, that gives them time to figure out their dilemma. That said, it is interesting and I’ve always liked these kinds of moves. Big ball’s GM!!

Comment

Originally posted by sswin08 View Post
      With the cap strapped Maple Leafs and Lightning should the Flyers RFA Marner or Point? Neither have the room to match it with the amount of other players they have to sign How about Kapanen? He wouldn't cost the 1st rounders. Marner and Point each 82 points so far this year. Does a trade happen for one of their rights? I would absolutely consider any of these options. Every one of the 3 is a future star and under 22.
      Toronto has put themselves into a position where OSs could really play havoc with their roster. TB is in a similar button as drastic situation. These teams need to shed some players to open up cap space. They also need to ID who they want to keep without using them in the ED to Seattle. All teams will need to do some long range planning this of season but the Leafs and Lightning have some major issues to address.
      "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

there was a good article in the athletic about this. GMs we’re saying they thought offer sheets for mid tier RFAs were more likely. for example a team would have to give up only a 2nd for a 4m offer sheet, 1st and 3rd for a 6m offer sheet. kapanen, konecny, andreas johnsson, etc those type of supplementary players are probably ones where teams would think twice about matching.

Comment

The aspect of this that people always forget is that the RFA has to be willing to sign the offer sheet. It's not an automatic thing. If they want to work out a contract with their current team, and give them time to make roster moves, they can do that.

That's the forgotten aspect of why offer sheets so rarely happen.

Comment

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post
            The aspect of this that people always forget is that the RFA has to be willing to sign the offer sheet. It's not an automatic thing. If they want to work out a contract with their current team, and give them time to make roster moves, they can do that.

That's the forgotten aspect of why offer sheets so rarely happen.
            Agreed. It's a really shitty thing to sign an offer sheet only to have your team match. Try walking into your dressing room after that and tell your teammates you want to win with them. Am sure a lot of RFA's use it as leverage in negotiations but in reality most won't sign an offer sheet I am guessing.

Also as snake said it makes way more sense targeting the mid range guys as it doesn't cost you as many assets in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
              there was a good article in the athletic about this. GMs we’re saying they thought offer sheets for mid tier RFAs were more likely. for example a team would have to give up only a 2nd for a 4m offer sheet, 1st and 3rd for a 6m offer sheet. kapanen, konecny, andreas johnsson, etc those type of supplementary players are probably ones where teams would think twice about matching.
              One you mentioned I would like them to consider. Kapanen. I think Toronto is a in every difficult spot and Kapanen can be lured with his Flyers history.

Comment

i think offer sheets dont happen because the threat of offer sheets has meant that RFAs get paid their real value.

Comment

Working...
                X