• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogzus
    started a topic GDT: Flyers vs Leafs

GDT: Flyers vs Leafs

7PM ET

Morin in the lineup. Flyers to carry 7 D again, says Meltzer. It'll be interesting to see how the minutes and pairing shake out.

A regulation loss tonight puts an "e-- " next the Flyers in the standings.

Hoping to see someone other than JVR stand up in this one, although if he wants another hat trick against his former team, that's OK.

• clumsysnake
    replied
    Originally posted by Strohs72 View Post
    Agreed.

The guys that do the flyers intermission show are awful ... the two old guys and the pretty boy ... none of them really know hockey ... therien does a decent job ...

Ya the guys on hockey central are really good... I really like how they bring in different guys too throughout the week ... not the same voices every day all season

I canít wait to hear them criticizing the leafs after another playoff defeat at the hands of the bruins lol

Go bruins go !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    haha yea its actually nice for me cuz they're one of the few teams who's fans unfairly criticize their team more than flyers' fans do.

Leave a comment:

• Strohs72
    replied
    Agreed.

The guys that do the flyers intermission show are awful ... the two old guys and the pretty boy ... none of them really know hockey ... therien does a decent job ...

Ya the guys on hockey central are really good... I really like how they bring in different guys too throughout the week ... not the same voices every day all season

I canít wait to hear them criticizing the leafs after another playoff defeat at the hands of the bruins lol

Go bruins go !

Leave a comment:

• clumsysnake
    replied
    Originally posted by Strohs72 View Post

Yes Iím in Canada

Iím in Ontario

Itís called Ďhockey centralí not Ďleafs centralí

Rename it and I got no problem with the nauseating amount of leaf talk on there

But when they are struggling itís kinda nice to hear lol

i guess i've just accepted that the leafs are overrepresented in canadian media dont care since i'm not a fan of another canadian team. BUT the canadian shows have way more knowledgeable commentators than US hockey shows

Leave a comment:

• Strohs72
    replied
    Originally posted by clumsysnake

are you in canada? i just assume any english canadian show is going to talk about the leafs.
    Yes Iím in Canada

Iím in Ontario

Itís called Ďhockey centralí not Ďleafs centralí

Rename it and I got no problem with the nauseating amount of leaf talk on there

But when they are struggling itís kinda nice to hear lol

Leave a comment:

• irvdog
    replied
    Ghost and Gardiner earn their reps...too often get pushed around, hear footsteps, soft dzone plays, not prepared to take the hit to make the play...yeah the offense is good but it seems to be that deal that if they put up big pts you live with the garbage ..when productivity drops they aren't helping as much as hurting.

Leave a comment:

• clumsysnake
    replied
    - Ghost is not a bottom pair d-man. Skill wise and by his ice time heís 2nd pair.
    - Ghost contract is normal for what heís done this year and outstanding when heís having one of his good years.
    - Trading him for another defenseman is silly. Sounds like typical bias against offensive d-men. If we trade him it should be to upgrade our forward group.

Imo the best comparable to Ghost is Mark Streit. smaller guy, highly skilled with the puck, not great defending physical forwards, great shot. Donít give him the tough assignments but get him ice time.

Leave a comment:

• alxhj
    replied
    Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post

Exactly. Good post. No one should think that Ghost has no value since he does. Its just that he has been passed by other defensemen that have more. Provorov, Sanheim, Myers and Morin are better defenders than he is. Add Gudas into that pack, who I believe the Flyers will extend over the summer, and Ghost is a third pair/PP at best. There are some fans who use Ghost's contract as a reason to keep him. That contract would work for a player on the top two pairs but as a third pair player, its more than a tad expensive. There are other teams that would love to have Ghost on their roster and will probably make a good offer to obtain him. Toronto is a prime example of a club that could use him.
    As for moving Hagg, as some suggest, just what would the return for him be? At best a second round DC, which he was. So what's the point? As the sixth defender in the rotation, he's fine for what he costs. One thing about Hagg that needs to be brought up is that he is very coachable. He came to the Phantoms as a young player with a rep as an offensive player who needed to work on the other side of his game. He did that. Then he came to Philly and was told that he needed to become more physical with his play. He did that. My suspicion is that when he sits down with the new HC and ha his roll defined, he will do exactly what is asked of him. He'll never be a Norris candidate but he has and can be a solid third pair player at a reasonable price.
    Excellent post! I still believe the other thing the Flyers need to address is a lack of size and snarl on our bottom 6, it's lacking, and it's needed to go deep into the playoffs.
    Last edited by alxhj; 03-29-2019, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyers19rw
    replied
    Originally posted by flyerdog View Post

exactly....it's not really about how he is playing at the moment, it's that he does have a skill set that is appealing to teams that might be willing to trade...I think people do get too attached to specific players, or get gun shy about getting fleeced (eg: Schenn for JVR) in any potential trade....

but with Provorov, the emergence of Sanheim (and possibly Myers?), Morin finally taking the ice, and Hagg who is Therien with a little more skill...well that's a pretty good young group...If Ghost brings back an above average/Elite stay at home type D-man (which is essential with a 20yr old goalie in net)...then do the trade...

or package him with something to get the sniper we desperately need, if we can't get that guy in FA....again you have to give up quality to GET quality
    Exactly. Good post. No one should think that Ghost has no value since he does. Its just that he has been passed by other defensemen that have more. Provorov, Sanheim, Myers and Morin are better defenders than he is. Add Gudas into that pack, who I believe the Flyers will extend over the summer, and Ghost is a third pair/PP at best. There are some fans who use Ghost's contract as a reason to keep him. That contract would work for a player on the top two pairs but as a third pair player, its more than a tad expensive. There are other teams that would love to have Ghost on their roster and will probably make a good offer to obtain him. Toronto is a prime example of a club that could use him.
    As for moving Hagg, as some suggest, just what would the return for him be? At best a second round DC, which he was. So what's the point? As the sixth defender in the rotation, he's fine for what he costs. One thing about Hagg that needs to be brought up is that he is very coachable. He came to the Phantoms as a young player with a rep as an offensive player who needed to work on the other side of his game. He did that. Then he came to Philly and was told that he needed to become more physical with his play. He did that. My suspicion is that when he sits down with the new HC and ha his roll defined, he will do exactly what is asked of him. He'll never be a Norris candidate but he has and can be a solid third pair player at a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• flyerdog
    replied
    Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

Flyers fans clamor to trade whoever isn't playing well at the moment, and has played more than 3 years in a flyers uni. its like clockwork. Ghost will bounceback most likely, but long term he's still the one I would trade if we had to move a top-4 blueliner to get a trade done.
    exactly....it's not really about how he is playing at the moment, it's that he does have a skill set that is appealing to teams that might be willing to trade...I think people do get too attached to specific players, or get gun shy about getting fleeced (eg: Schenn for JVR) in any potential trade....

but with Provorov, the emergence of Sanheim (and possibly Myers?), Morin finally taking the ice, and Hagg who is Therien with a little more skill...well that's a pretty good young group...If Ghost brings back an above average/Elite stay at home type D-man (which is essential with a 20yr old goalie in net)...then do the trade...

or package him with something to get the sniper we desperately need, if we can't get that guy in FA....again you have to give up quality to GET quality

Leave a comment:

Working...
X