• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogzus
    started a topic GDT: Flyers vs Rangers

GDT: Flyers vs Rangers

12:30PM ET - NBC

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers are out of the playoffs. Every chamber in the gun to put them out of their misery was loaded. The Canes beat them and then both Montreal and Columbus won upsets.

Yet, they have to finish out the schedule. Hart to start. Morin scheduled to sit and Ghost will be back. I guess Provorov is fine because he kept playing after his leg got jacked by Staal.

Talbot didn't help himself a lot in that game. Decent numbers to finish, but the early mistakes were the opposite of what Hart is getting a rep for - keeping the team in early until they get their legs going.

Winning won't get them anything at this point. How about losing? The Coyotes and the Wild are tied with and one point behind the Flyers respectively, and still have fighting chances to make WC spots in the west. Maybe they'll jump over the Flyers.

The Panthers are tied with one more game played. They have no reason to win either, so who knows.

Without too much trouble, the Flyers could end up 11th or 12th from last, down (up?) from 14th where they are now.

Odds of a top 3 pick would rise from 5% (1.5% for #1) to 9.9% (3.0% for #1).

The Rangers are sixth from last now, and could move up or down quickly as they are sort of packed in closely. They are coming off a win agains the playoff bound Blues.

Nice draft odds visualizer here: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Question: Who is Philip Broberg? He seems the current choice to be yet another tall-ish D-man in the Flyers pipeline.

• AIK1891
    replied
    Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
    I'd still like to have Gordon leading the Phantoms...he seems to do well with the kids.
    The biggest criticisms I've seen about his Phantoms tenure was seeming lack of focused system ... so until knowing next NHL/Flyers coach, and that next coach's system will be, I can't get on board yet with Gordon coaching the AHL squad since I really want a uniform system focus across the two levels.

Leave a comment:

• lynchmob450
    replied
    I'd still like to have Gordon leading the Phantoms...he seems to do well with the kids.

Leave a comment:

• IceHokie
    replied
    Originally posted by Niittyzus View Post

I've been impressed with the team under Gordon, especially considering how lethargic they looked under Hak this season. But I think if he was going to be the sure guy moving forward they would have removed the interim tag. Also, I think I heard Anthony SanFillipo say that according to advanced stats the Flyers weren't playing that much better under Gordon, the only difference being the quality of goaltending they received from Hart and Elliott. So there's that. I'm not much of an advanced stats guy, but the glaring thing I've noticed is that despite their recent record over the last couple months they're still giving up way too many shots.
    It was definitely the Hart factor, and I think just the "common sense" ice time/lineup decisions that Hak refused to make for some reason. Gordon is solid but not the guy who's gonna take us over the hump.

Leave a comment:

• Niittyzus
    replied
    Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
    At least this is answering the "should they keep Gordon" questions.
    I've been impressed with the team under Gordon, especially considering how lethargic they looked under Hak this season. But I think if he was going to be the sure guy moving forward they would have removed the interim tag. Also, I think I heard Anthony SanFillipo say that according to advanced stats the Flyers weren't playing that much better under Gordon, the only difference being the quality of goaltending they received from Hart and Elliott. So there's that. I'm not much of an advanced stats guy, but the glaring thing I've noticed is that despite their recent record over the last couple months they're still giving up way too many shots.

Leave a comment:

• IceHokie
    replied
    At least this is answering the "should they keep Gordon" questions.

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    No shot at.that one. I missed the 3rd goal.

Leave a comment:

• dogzus
    replied
    Yeah that's all fair, but the Rags have nothing but pride to play for either. And I'm mostly feeling protective of Hart and his stats, which are suffering when the team fails to defend in front of him over and over. That third goal that deflected off two Flyers before going in was just cruel.

Leave a comment:

• clumsysnake
    replied
    Originally posted by dogzus View Post
    Hart, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Hartman - is the list of guys who looked like they were willing to compete in this game just because.

The Rangers still have four games left and the Flyers are only seven points ahead of them.
    one can only dream we'd rise that high in the draft.

go easy on these guys, they busted their *** for months trying to claw back in, dealing with all the turmoil with a new coach and a rare mid-season GM change. i totally get that they'd not be completely focused and engaged for the last 4 trash games now that its clear they failed, especially since winning only hurts the club in the long run anyway! you can see it all over their faces and with their body language, not a good feeling right now. they're human.
    Last edited by clumsysnake; 04-01-2019, 01:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dogzus
    replied
    Hart, Patrick, Lindblom, Konecny, Hartman - is the list of guys who looked like they were willing to compete in this game just because.

The Rangers still have four games left and the Flyers are only seven points ahead of them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X