• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogzus
    started a topic GDT: Flyers @ Blues

GDT: Flyers @ Blues

8:00PM ET

Elliott to start.

The Blues are only one point out of first in the Central. Winning is worth something to them.

The Flyers, not so much.

Funny story, the Blues lost Wednesday night to the Blackhawks in OT. Those two points moved the Blackhawks into a tie with the Flyers overall. Vancouver has won three in a row and is now two behind Philly.

One could root for the Blues to win tomorrow, then lose their last game to, hey look at that, the Canucks.

• flyers19rw
    replied
    Originally posted by toothless joe View Post
    But, what does Fletcher think, we need?
    Also, who does he see that the Flyers have and don't need?
    TPTB probably have to decide what the identity of the team will be. Will it be a speed/skill team like Tampa Bay or a strong, physical one such as Washington? Not that the two types are mutually exclusive. The answer will probably become clear with the hiring of the new coach.
    Last edited by flyers19rw; 04-06-2019, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• flyers19rw
    replied
    Originally posted by Niittyzus View Post

Yeah let's trade Giroux. *rolls eyes*

You said they need on-ice leadership--and said that G is good on the ice but needs to do more in the locker room. Well, which is it? I'm tired of defending the best player we've had since Lindros. It takes more than one vocal leader in the locker room.
    The quote was, "He is the C and more is needed out of him than an on ice example." A captain needs to do more than be an example on the ice. He needs to be the one that lets the slackers know that their performance isn't acceptable. There are certain things that a coach can not say or do with a player that the captain can. If Pronger, Clarke or a similar type of player was in that locker room, the **** would have hit the fan with the performances that several of these players have put in over the last five seasons.
    Giroux doesn't appear to be the type of guy to want to do that. If so, the C should go to someone else who would be more confrontational with his teammates about bad play. Most likely that would mean that Giroux would have to go as well since keeping a team's ex captain on the club is usually problematic. I'd rather see him become more of a guy that holds his teammates accountable on and off of the ice. He's been a great player in town and it would be fantastic to see him be a Flyer for life. He can help fix this mess by being a stronger personality with his teammates.

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    We need both bigger grinders and faster scorers.

Leave a comment:

• alxhj
    replied
    Originally posted by toothless joe View Post
    I'm concerned that he doesn't think we need more of a physical presence, when in fact, it's one of our biggest needs IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• toothless joe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alxhj
    replied
    Originally posted by Niittyzus View Post

Yeah let's trade Giroux. *rolls eyes*

You said they need on-ice leadership--and said that G is good on the ice but needs to do more in the locker room. Well, which is it? I'm tired of defending the best player we've had since Lindros. It takes more than one vocal leader in the locker room.
    I think if you're reading the post correctly, he's not saying he WANTS to trade Giroux, in fact I read the opposite. He was advocating trading him if GIROUX is dissatisfied with the team. I love Giroux and would like him to finish his career here, but I've advocated getting rid of Jake for awhile now, because he only seems to play when he feels like it. I think what hurt when we got rid of Simmonds was that guy who would call guys out for poor performance. I'd trade Jake in a friggin hearbeat for a guy like Landeskog. This team is soft mentally and physically in a lot of ways. Who out there is going to come in and be the voice though?

Leave a comment:

• toothless joe
    replied
    Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post
    Good post. It raises things that have been bugging me for a while with this team. The constant weak start to games means that they aren't prepared when the puck is dropped. A lot of that falls on the coaching staff but some of it goes to the players as well. It would be great if there was an @$$ kicker on the club to hold his team mates accountable but there isn't one here. That means the new coach is going to have to be a task master who will ruffle feathers from time to time. If a player revolts and doesn't care for that, Fletcher needs to find a new address for him. The new coach and Fletcher have to be totally together on this.
    Giroux has been rumored to be unhappy about things with the club. Perhaps moving Simmonds and now possibly Voracek are things that he doesn't like. If he's unhappy and wants out, then he can be moved as well. He's been a great Flyer and I hope that he can stay here for the rest of his career but if he wants out, he can be accommodated. He is the C and more is needed out of him than an on ice example. If he can't/won't do that he needs to turn in the C and give it to someone who will which will mean that he should be traded. Keeping an ex captain on the same team is problematic and divisive.
    Aside from Couturier, anyone over 25 years of age should be on the block. This is a young club and needs on ice leadership. They're going to make mistakes which need to be corrected. The right vets can help with that. However not all vets can do it or should do it. What exactly is Voracek going to do in order to get young guys to hustle and not do stupid things like blind cross ice passed? Ghost is going to be a model for the young guys on how to play defense? Players such as Varone or Knight, have nothing to offer.
    good post, mate!

Leave a comment:

• FLexible FLyer
    replied
    Club needs a roster enema. You knew that though..........................

Leave a comment:

• IceHokie
    replied
    Just the fans once again thinking the Captain is something it's not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X