Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of possible coaches to consider (Vigneault Named Coach 4/15/19)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of possible coaches to consider (Vigneault Named Coach 4/15/19)

I'll start this list off, but hoping others will add to the list (please copy and paste the list and add your recommendation or potential fit). If you'd like to share your thoughts on guys that you are hoping for or just dreading being considered for the post, please do share.
    • Scott Gordon - i would like to upgrade the position...but if we can't, i'm open to having him back until a better option pops up.
    • Dave Tippett - if this really is a possibility, i hope Fletcher is on the phone with this dude.
    • Alain Vigneault - i know some are 100% opposed to him, but i think he's a very capable coach.
    • Darryl Sutter - retired from coaching and very much old-school in his style. But i feel his hard-*** ways are kind of what we need.
    • Guy Boucher - a brilliant mind, but not sure if he is capable of bringing us where we need to go.
    • Mike Yeo - not really sure why he is on any list, other than the fact that he has connections to Fletcher.
    • Dan Bylsma - honestly, he might be the guy who makes me consider giving up on this team forever. He CANNOT be considered.
    • Michel Therrien - hate this guy almost as much as Bylsma.
    • Bob Hartley - another tough as nails former HC. His style is maybe passé, but his teams will never be shy of playing tough.
    Some possibilities with no NHL HC experience:
    • Mark Recchi
    • Chris Pronger
    • Kjell Samuelsson
    • Sheldon Keefe - Mariles coach over the last 4 years...has won over 62% of their regular season games (playoff champs last year).
    • Jay Leach - Providence Bruins HC since 17-18. Has been connected to Mike Sullivan.

Tony Granato and Patrick Roy I have heard mentioned for other teams HC position. Roy I would be completely against. Granato I am not sure on. Would be another college hockey hire albeit with NHL experience as a player and assistant.

I think like everyone I like the idea of Tippett. Vigneault could be an alright fit and I think could do good things with our D core. I don't know much about Sheldon Keefe but he sounds intriguing, however so did Hak until you saw him in action. Gordon I am on the fence with. Players seem to like him and he seems like a well thought out and intelligent coach, however the team numbers under him did not look good at all outside of Hart carrying them. Does that change with a full training camp and getting to instill a brand new system? Not sure.
    Last edited by Vedder; 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

My only concern with Tippet is that he plays a "my way or the highway" type of system. I'm not sure how conducive it'll be with a team full of youngsters like the Flyers. I could absolutely be wrong, but if he were to be considered; I hope Fletcher does his due diligence to make sure it's a good fit.

I don't doubt his defensive focus; but consider that no one doubts Hitchcock's d focus...they consider that Hitch might waste and/or ruin a young kid's chances to make sure his system is being implemented. That said though, if they had someone like Tippet, but kept Gordon on as an assistant and/or other guys who are more "players coaches"; it could be a positive outcome.
      "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Rikard Grönborg if we want to go outside the norm...

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
          Tony Granato and Patrick Roy I have heard mentioned for other teams HC position. Roy I would be completely against. Granato I am not sure on. Would be another college hockey hire albeit with NHL experience as a player and assistant.

I think like everyone I like the idea of Tippett. Vigneault could be an alright fit and I think could do good things with our D core. I don't know much about Sheldon Keefe but he sounds intriguing, however so did Hak until you saw him in action. Gordon I am on the fence with. Players seem to like him and he seems like a well thought out and intelligent coach, however the team numbers under him did not look good at all outside of Hart carrying them. Does that change with a full training camp and getting to instill a brand new system? Not sure.
          The thing that scares me the most about Gordon is that the players like him honestly. I do like Gordon and maybe he could be the answer. But I would definitely look outside first. Gordon seems like an intelligent hockey guy. My issue is the players on this team for years have seen to have an attitude issue. Do we think Gordon can change the culture in the locker room?

Comment

Originally posted by meskary View Post
            Rikard Grönborg if we want to go outside the norm...
            Can you please expand on this? Never heard of this guy.

Comment

Anybody think Fletcher is looking at Mark Recchi?

Comment

I’d like to see them look at Kevin Dineen. I know he’’s kind of taboo with the “former Flyer” tag but he was an assistant under Q so he’s been behind the bench, knows about the Flyers culture, former captain...

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post
                  Anybody think Fletcher is looking at Mark Recchi?
                  you mean in a "Brokeback Mountain" sort of way?

Comment

Tippett would be my first choice, with Sutter a close second. I think what this team needs more than anything in a coaching sense is personal accountability for all players, not just a select few.

Comment

Working...
                    X