Kate Smith banned.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate Smith banned.

It started with the Yankees, and the Flyers are following suit. They tweeted today that they will no longer use Kate's version of God Bless America, and will also supposedly cover her statue. This is all due to someone digging up an old song of hers that contains racist lyrics.

Wow. This society has just become way too sensitive.

It is past time to retire her tape, but covering a statue is.just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
      It started with the Yankees, and the Flyers are following suit. They tweeted today that they will no longer use Kate's version of God Bless America, and will also supposedly cover her statue. This is all due to someone digging up an old song of hers that contains racist lyrics.

Wow. This society has just become way too sensitive.
      ​​​​​​Agreed, and the inconsistency with which this type of justice is implemented is beyond frustrating anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
        It is past time to retire her tape, but covering a statue is.just silly.
        Yeah I agree. I also read something (no idea yet if it's true) that her songs in questions were meant as anti-racist satire (we're talking almost 100 years ago too) but to some they only read headlines so they think she was a racist.

I just don't understand how a loud vocal minority dictates so many things in our culture these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Puck View Post

​​​​​​Agreed, and the inconsistency with which this type of justice is implemented is beyond frustrating anymore.
          Yes, inconsistency. Maybe these people should look into the things Margaret Sanger said too.

Comment

This is absolutely sad. Why do people have to try and find something bad about everyone now? She was an iconoc part of the teams history and is getting covered up for a song she sang? As posted previously, I have never read anything even remotely implying she was racist.

Comment

Rename Broad Street while you're at it. That street has been associated with bullying since the mid-70's.

Comment

First, I'll say that I was generally sick of the over-use of the tape which was getting grossly de-valued by constantly rolling it out for any old occasion instead of reserving it for something special like before a Game 7 at home, once every other year.

But, even more, I take this as likely a [last?] "F*** you!" to older fans like me; the franchise is saying "You don't mean s**t to us and we will decide what you can and can't like about us."

I've been waiting pretty much my entire life for a Stanley Cup championship in my lifetime (not technically, but I was a super-toddler when they last won). I had been watching from afar for many year while in Florida, and I was growing increasingly more depressed by the franchise. It really has become one of the most pathetic laughing-stock franchises in professional sports (e.g., holding the all-time world-record for most consecutive appearances in a championship round without winning a championship; even with a longer drought, the Leafs only look at losing the semi-final in '93 while the Flyers are on an 0-6 streak in the finals and, at 2-6 have one of the worst all-time winning percentages of teams with multiple appearances in the championship round).

I recently accepted a posting to go to Honolulu for at least a year starting in August, and I had been intending to post here over the summer in one of the older threads about how to best watch games online. Right now, I think I just really no longer give a F*** about the Flyers. Dave Scott can eat a d****! It really looks like my passion died with Mr. Snider, and this is merely the confirmation.

Comment

I don't see any issue with the Flyers' decision. Kate Smith sucked in the 70s and still sucks. She was never good at what she did...she just became a rabbit's foot that people bought into. Let's find a new good luck charm.

Comment

flyers are now the boring corporate team clarke’ said they’d never be.

Comment

Working...
                    X