NHL Apologized to Vegas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Apologized to Vegas

Should there be a "review" of MAJOR penalties (at least in the playoffs)?
    I think it should be similar to the NFL where all turnovers or scoring plays are reviewed.
    Most are obvious.
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...r-penalty-call

I already posted the major rereview suggestion , so count me in.

Comment

I doubt they'd aplogize to the Flyers if it happened to them. Bettman has given favored status to Vegas like he has to Pittsburgh.

Comment

Where is the Flyers apoligy for Leon Stickle blowing an offside in the 1980 final that probably cost the Flyers a Cup vs the Islanders? Or the 2009 screw job by tje refs in the series vs the Penguins that gifted a Cup to the Penguins that year? remember the two man advantage in the overtime? Totally biased reffing handed the Cup to the Penguins that year in all thrir series. Bettman is a joke. The Flyers have been treated differently for years by the league .
        sigpicPhiladelphia Flyers: Home of future Stanley Cup Champions on other teams.

Comment

my feeling is there should be a 3rd ref upstairs who can talk to the other 2 and has access to replays. in this case, they could have gotten it right without slowing down the game. the fact that they conferred, and then all of them decided they saw something that never happened is odd. I'm pretty sure they felt like they wanted to keep a lid on things when the game seemed over.

but i dont want to see more time taken out of the game for call reviews. the fact is that the rules are pretty ambiguous and no matter how much they review it there will still be controversy. we've seen this play out in the NFL. but if there's already a stoppage then yea review everything. they do that for goals already.

I do think though that giving teams a limited number of challenges does give them a feeling of agency which helps mollify team/fan rage. Depends on what the objective is... cuz we are never going to get everyone to agree on what was/wasnt a penalty.

Comment

Without going into the correctness of the call, I'm sort of tired of hearing the LV fans whine about the penalty. Just do the kill and not allow four goals.
            "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Originally posted by flyers19rw View Post
              Without going into the correctness of the call, I'm sort of tired of hearing the LV fans whine about the penalty. Just do the kill and not allow four goals.
              Exactly! lots of teams kill off majors during the season, LV is trying to rationalize their poor penalty kill.

Comment

The NHL should not have apologized. They did not make a call that they wouldn't have made in any other match any other time of the year. That's been the NHL for nearly two decades now. If that call's worth apologizing for, every single one of the 30 other teams in the league should be banking an IOU. It happens to every single team, every single year. The difference here is, LV screwed up a 3-1 series lead and gave up 4 goals on that penalty. Argue the call any which way, it was just a piece of the pie that they spoonfed to the Sharks.

Can't help but think back to the 1st round Battle of Pennsylvania last year.
                Last edited by HatTrickPatrick; 04-30-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
                  I already posted the major rereview suggestion , so count me in.
                  And f**k no he wouldn't apologize to anyone but a team that's still barely past existing. He's got a market to satiate at that point, at the cost of integrity. Social justice wins again.

Comment

Originally posted by HatTrickPatrick View Post
                    The NHL should not have apologized. They did not make a call that they wouldn't have made in any other match any other time of the year. That's been the NHL for nearly two decades now. If that call's worth apologizing for, every single one of the 30 other teams in the league should be banking an IOU. It happens to every single team, every single year. The difference here is, LV screwed up a 3-1 series lead and gave up 4 goals on that penalty. Argue the call any which way, it was just a piece of the pie that they spoonfed to the Sharks.

Can't help but think back to the 1st round Battle of Pennsylvania last year.
                    they never officially used the word "apologize". mcphee said that, i assume off the cuff. i dont think either he or the league anticipated it would be repeated so often.

the league doesnt make official apologies. but now everyone wants one.

Comment

Working...
                    X