Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gudas Traded To Caps For Niskanen

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flye...VjUlwjErtIgb5U

I like this trade. People will be upset that we lost "toughness" with Gudas and he did have a solid season last year, but Niskanen is a winner and a veteran influence on defense who will help steady the young core. I do like Gudas and this isn't a "steal" of a trade, but I think it improves the overall makeup of the defense.

The Philadelphia Flyers announced they have acquired defenseman Matt Niskanen (NIHS-kah-nehn) from the Washington Capitals in exchange for defenseman Radko Gudas, according to Executive Vice President & General Manager, Chuck Fletcher.

"We're very happy to have Matt join the Flyers," said Fletcher in making the announcement. "He is a veteran, right shot defenseman who has a track record of success as a Stanley Cup champion. Having played heavy minutes in all situations throughout his career, Matt will be a steadying influence to our talented and young group of defenseman."

Below are news & notes on Niskanen:

MATT NISKANEN (NIHS-kah-nehn)
    POSITION: Defense
    DRAFTED: 2005 - 1st Round (28th overall) by Dallas Stars
    BORN: Virginia, MN
    VITALS: 6'1", 203 pounds
    SHOOTS: Right

* Niskanen recently completed his 12th season in the NHL and fifth with the Washington Capitals.

* He recorded eight goals and 17 assists for 25 points in 80 regular season games for the Capitals this past season, and added two assists in seven playoff games.

* In 2017-18, he helped lead the Capitals to their first Stanley Cup Championship in franchise history.

* He recorded nine points (1g-8a) and appeared in all 24 games of the playoffs while posting a +6 rating and logged over 25 minutes of ice time (25:36) during Washington's Cup run.

* Over 12 seasons in the NHL he has appeared in 881 regular season games, recording 323 points (64g-259a) and a career plus-minus of +97.
    * Dallas Stars (2007-08 to 2010-11)
    * Pittsburgh Penguins (2010-11 to 2013-14)
    * Washington Capitals (2014-15 to 2018-19)

* He has helped all three teams reach the Conference Finals in his career (Dallas: 2008, Pittsburgh: 2013, Washington: 2018).

* In total, he has appeared in 125 Stanley Cup Playoff games, recording 40 points (5g-35a).

* Internationally, Niskanen has represented the United States on several occasions, most recently in the World Cup of Hockey in 2016... He has also played in the 2009 World Championships and 2006 World Junior Championships for USA.

Gudas departs the Flyers after four seasons (2015-2019) where he has produced 73 points (17g-56a) in 290 regular season games. This past season, he won the Barry Ashbee Trophy as the Flyers' Most Outstanding defenseman after recording 20 points (4g-16a) while logging 17:53 of ice time and leading the defense with a plus-minus of +6.

He was acquired by the Flyers on Mar. 2, 2015 from the Tampa Bay Lightning for a Firs and Third Round pick in 2015 in exchange for Braydon Coburn.

Mike Barr, Founder

Solid move. Flyers retain 30% of Gudas salary

Comment

I don't understand this deal from a cap perspective. Why are we retaining 30% of Gudas' salary? Shouldn't it be the other way?

Wilson and Gudas on the ice at the same time...scary!!

Comment

We're eating some cap space on this one, certainly. Niskanen has two years left at $5.75M and 30% of Gudas' contract is about $1M. So we're getting Niskanen at $6.75M essentially. That's a little heavy, but I still like the deal in general.
        Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Correction -- we're getting Niskanen for $6.75M this year, $5.75M next year. Gudas has only one year left on his deal.
          Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Gudas has one year left on his contract, Niskann has 2, but his hit is 5.75, compared to Gudas 3.75.

In retaining salary, is it cash money, or cap hit?

Comment

If you retain salary, you take the cap hit with it. So that's why I said we're essentially getting Niskanen for 2 years at $6.75/$5.75.
              Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

That's what I thought.

Comment

I honestly don't like this deal. While I do see that we got the better dman, I just don't like the contract Niskanen has, nor do I like the idea of not benefiting from having Gudas play in his contract year (coming off a real solid season).

If the Caps retained 30% of Niskanen's contract in this deal, instead of how it currently is, I'd be a lot more on board.

Comment

So, this is our veteran defenseman. I guess we can stop dreaming about Trouba. I liked Gudas, but I'm ok with this move, Niskanen is a solid dman. Wished we didn't have to retain any salary though... And yes, I feel like our team just got a little softer, so I'm hoping Morin gets playing time this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X