Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J T Miller traded to Canucks

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...miller-canucks

for 1st, 3rd, and a prospect. Would have much have preferred trading for miller vs the overpay for hayes. 3 more years at 5.25.

Man the lightning just keep on chugging dont they? best managed team in the league. suddenly back to 16m+ cap space to get point inked. signed coburn to a STEAL at 1.7m/yr. and they get what could be a pretty good 1st back!

also this cap being lowered to 81.5 might shake a lot of other pieces loose.

TB is going to use ALL of that cap space keeping Pointe. I'm not sure it's a "better" deal than what we did with Hayes. Miller would have cost us assets much more than a 5th round pick. For 4 more years in his prime at under 6 Mil, yeah I would hope Fletcher did his best on that one; but if it was too much (a 1st and 3rd plus someone else), I understand why he went the Hayes route.

Add to that TB would have wanted much more from us than VAN. We're in the Eastern Conference, and the odds of us having a higher pick next year than VAN, is not great. I'm not tooting the Flyers horn, or putting down VAN; but just looking at raw data and consensus, we should be more competitive than VAN on paper. TB made that deal with VAN knowing they'd get a decent early round pick vs middle of the order.

I can see why this trade vs. Hayes on the surface looks like we grossly overpaid; but I just think when it gets into the nuts and bolts of everything; there's a reason why this trade happened without us, and we instead signed Hayes. ...Regardelss; The only way to see what was the bes option is to see the stats 2-3 years from now.
    "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
      TB is going to use ALL of that cap space keeping Pointe. I'm not sure it's a "better" deal than what we did with Hayes. Miller would have cost us assets much more than a 5th round pick. For 4 more years in his prime at under 6 Mil, yeah I would hope Fletcher did his best on that one; but if it was too much (a 1st and 3rd plus someone else), I understand why he went the Hayes route.

Add to that TB would have wanted much more from us than VAN. We're in the Eastern Conference, and the odds of us having a higher pick next year than VAN, is not great. I'm not tooting the Flyers horn, or putting down VAN; but just looking at raw data and consensus, we should be more competitive than VAN on paper. TB made that deal with VAN knowing they'd get a decent early round pick vs middle of the order.

I can see why this trade vs. Hayes on the surface looks like we grossly overpaid; but I just think when it gets into the nuts and bolts of everything; there's a reason why this trade happened without us, and we instead signed Hayes. ...Regardelss; The only way to see what was the bes option is to see the stats 2-3 years from now.
      yes but he's arguably a top 5 center, worth it. they have 6 d signed. erne, paquette will fill out their roster. next year its gonna be tough but they'll jettison some more 2nd tier guys (palat, johnson, killorn) and keep their ridiculous core together. they know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

yes but he's arguably a top 5 center, worth it.
        Miller is a top 5 center?

Comment

God that was a horrible trade by the Canucks... Seeing as the Leafs had to give a 1st to get rid of Marleau that's pretty horrible management by the Canucks.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

Miller is a top 5 center?
            No he's not. He's a nice 2nd line center on a championship team.
            "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Point is arguably a top-5 center. you pay him the 9-10m he'll cost.

Comment

Working...
              X