Posting newspaper articles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting newspaper articles

I am a long time Philly Inquirer subscriber. Question for the Mods. The site articles are behind a paywall. Is there any interest in having myself, or anyone else, copy and paste articles, maybe in a sticky? Is doing that a violation of copyright, even if cited? Just wondering if it is legal and if there is interest?

Generally (& not claiming for this board's rules): it is basically OK with citation for quotes, or even large blocks of majority of content, but usually not for total reproduction of an entire piece; offering critique of the content has often allowed for greater use of larger percentages of the source content, while merely posting without critique is more likely an infringement of the creator's rights.

So, it's rarely wrong to say "Look at what this idiot wrote now".

{{ * but my specialty is admittedly in tax law, not IP law }}

Comment

My thought was it would not be ok, thus why I asked.

Comment

On another site, the rule is 3 paragraphs or less depending on article size (in other words, don't copy/paste the whole article) and provide a link for the full article. I can't see why the Inquirer would have an issue with this, directing visits to their site...
        Philadelphia Flyers #1
        Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
        The rest of the 29 teams can KMA!

Comment

Credit to author, excerpts only and you're clear I believe. Only issue is that if the information is adjudged to be "private"-it opens up a can of worms for you to provide it to outsiders without the site or paper getting a cut. Hear the Inky is in a bit of disarray at the moment...............

Best way might simply be to paraphrase and credit the author.

"Joe Blow wrote a piece today that intimates Fletcher should move Provarov and Konecny for a box of Cracker Jacks" What do you think? et. al.

Comment

Originally posted by FLexible FLyer View Post
            Credit to author, excerpts only and you're clear I believe. Only issue is that if the information is adjudged to be "private"-it opens up a can of worms for you to provide it to outsiders without the site or paper getting a cut. Hear the Inky is in a bit of disarray at the moment...............

Best way might simply be to paraphrase and credit the author.

"Joe Blow wrote a piece today that intimates Fletcher should move Provarov and Konecny for a box of Cracker Jacks" What do you think? et. al.
            I think that's a dumb move personally.

Comment

Cracker Jacks AND a Heath bar, YES, but not just the former. We could add a 2nd rounder if they threw in some kettle chips, IMHO
              "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Gimme some napkins and it's a deal.

Comment

Deal!
                  "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Where's Drambobot (?) when you need it?

Comment

Working...
                    X