X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marner signs

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...8-0ef2aafabd0b

"
    Avoiding what was shaping up as the ugliest fight in Canada outside of the federal election, restricted free agent winger Marner and the Maple Leafs ended nearly a year of impasse on Friday evening with a six-year contract worth $65.358 million US that comes in with an AAV of about $10.893 million, according to the salary website CapFriendly"
    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

I believe the Leafs are $13M over the cap now. Moves need to happen soon.

Comment

I think they have a real high wire act to pull off.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450
        I believe the Leafs are $13M over the cap now. Moves need to happen soon.
        The leafs have two contracts that can go on LTIR once the season starts

They have no issues ... other than the fact that their top four players are taking up something like $40.5M of the $81M cap lol

Flyers top four are around $31M

The ghosts of Nathan Horton and David Clarkson contracts are what the leafs will be putting on LTIR to get under the cap

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup funny how they used bad contracts in order to sign Marner to a big contract. If they had not reacquired Clarkson they couldn't have pulled this off. This does mean they can't add anyone at the deadline (that's probably a good thing) and if guys go down to injury for a few nights and they can't put them on IR they won't be able to bring guys up. Difficult waters to navigate. What's wild is looking at their D going forward. I think next year they will only have 2 guys under contract? Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder
            Yup funny how they used bad contracts in order to sign Marner to a big contract. If they had not reacquired Clarkson they couldn't have pulled this off. This does mean they can't add anyone at the deadline (that's probably a good thing) and if guys go down to injury for a few nights and they can't put them on IR they won't be able to bring guys up. Difficult waters to navigate. What's wild is looking at their D going forward. I think next year they will only have 2 guys under contract? Yikes!
            Great points.

Their window is this year and that is it... especially with their D situation ... they will have Reilly and only one more D (canít remember who) under contract, and they have no cap space to make an acquisition at the deadline, no first rounder this summer and I think gone next summer too in the dump Marleau deal... I canít see how they can win it all this year ... lot of offensive talent, no grit, questionable D

F the leafs

Comment

They should've stayed out of the Tavares sweepstakes.

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj
                They should've stayed out of the Tavares sweepstakes.
                Ya ... but I get why they couldnít resist signing him... chance to get a
                Hometown superstar in his prime and the only thing it costs is money which they have boatloads of... problem is that money wouldíve been better spent on their bluekine IMO

I mean itís a good problem to have I would love to be worried about having to pay $11M to Nolan Patrick ... thatís not happening.

They crumbled in the negotiations with Nylander and overpaid him. That set the table for the others. They gave Matthews more than he deserved considering he t was only a five year deal.

They had two bad contracts on the books that they had to basically trade away and it cost them picks to move those players - Zaitsev and Marleau.

They have lost a lot of their forward depth this year because of the cap crunch.

THe press up here thinks Toronto is still as good as last years team if not better ... I am
                Skeptical on that ... I think and hope they are worse lol

Comment

But isn't LTIR only in play once the NHL season begins? I thought in the offseason teams could only go above by 10%. $13M is pretty much double the 10$ mark.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450
                    But isn't LTIR only in play once the NHL season begins? I thought in the offseason teams could only go above by 10%. $13M is pretty much double the 10$ mark.
                    You are right

Jus checked cap friendly and they are $13m over cap

Gotta be some kinda quirk we arenít aware of in guesing

Comment

Working...
                    X