X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provorov overrated?

This journalist seems to think so.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/som...151100802.html
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

“Here, too, we’re dealing with a player who has shown a lot offensively on occasion (he had 17 goals in 2017-18 but only 13 in his other two seasons combined) and has been reliable defensively, but is otherwise such a drag on his team that you have to use him somewhat selectively. It’s a big bet that he’ll be worth anything close to the money he got without another goal-scoring binge, which might require a big runout at 5-on-5, which would probably not go well for the Flyers overall even if the goals do arrive.”

Would be nice if he at the very least tried to articulate what he even means by “drag”

Can someone please translate this jibberish?!

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

This guy is a joke. By account the Provo signing is good value. On that premise look at who his peers are in terms of deals and you get a sense of where he fits...it's very good company. Yahoo sports says it all.....Yahoo writer.

Comment

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to modern day stats...but it sure looks to me that this Yahoo journalist has never seen Provorov play (live or on TV) but has only seen him play through stats. And IMO, he would be an example of why placing too much focus on some stats (like +/-) will make you appear like you are completely clueless in what you are supposed to knowledgeable about.

Comment

It's a big year for him, let's wait and see what it brings.

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog View Post
            This guy is a joke. By account the Provo signing is good value. On that premise look at who his peers are in terms of deals and you get a sense of where he fits...it's very good company. Yahoo sports says it all.....Yahoo writer.
            hehe i was thinking the same thing. if you were any good you wouldn’t be writing for yahoo. also he’s from Boston so... if he were any good he wouldn’t be from Boston.

analytics has given a whole bunch of blowhard “journalists” the temerity to slam guys in public and feel justified cuz of some numbers on hockey reference even if they haven’t been watching a guy.

However, while I want to believe the 17-goal season capstoned by his rugged playoffs is the real Provorov, it’s possible he’s not going to play at that level for most of this contract. Hes still trying to add dynamic transition play into his solid d-zone coverage and it’s been a mixed bag so far. While he’s not going to be bad he may not evolve into the ice-tilting 5v5 force we want him to be.

Comment

Sorry but any measure of a defenseman based on goal scoring is a hot pile of garbage. I'd love to see Prov get that +/- in check but god damn...to say he's not worth his money?!

Comment

Welcome back Rev.

Comment

Seems like it's been a while.

Comment

Just thought the same, welcome back.

Comment

Working...
                    X