GDT: Flyers vs NJD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post
    The defense is much better not only because they have a couple of veterans added to the youth, but they are a proper mix of right and left handed shots now. Every pair is L/R which can be very helpful, especially along the walls trying to get the puck out of the zone and/or make an outlet pass.

The power play has looked good -- I won't complain about 3 for 7! The PK has killed 6 out of 7. Special teams success often leads to wins.

Flex, I thought the Flyers outskated the Devils for most of the night. The first half of the first period or so they were shaking the rust off (travel, long layoff), then they got their legs moving and from the beginning of the second period on they were pretty dominant. Finally got a couple to go in early in the third to take control on the scoreboard and the Devils never really threatened to come back.
    I think the other big thing about the D is how well and quickly they can transition the put in their zone and start the forwards off on a counter rush. With last years D we maybe had 1 pair that could do that, now all 3 pairs are capable. It keeps you constantly out of your own zone and on the attack.

Comment

The Devils did have a nice 5 or so quality chances in the 1st period...but Hart shut them down. Defense looks much better when they have someone not leaking behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
        hayes taken two bad penalties but also been really noticeable. is he our new hartnell?
        Hayes is strong on his skates and protects the puck well. Hartnell had crap balance.

Hayes plays a 200 foot responsible game and kills penalties. Hartnell did neither.

Hayes plays a composed game, controls plays and reads and executed plays. Hartnell never had the puck on his stick for very long.

The one penalty was based on habit and a rule change and I forget what the other one was....but all in all this guy is intelligent, good leadership and competes.

I do not see him turning into a lazy stupid player and expect him to have a huge positive impact.

Big guys that compete hard get called sometimes. Iím ok with that.

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
          Home opener for us.
          I hope Simmonds is scratched for every game vs us due to a cold. Not because he's going to be effective in the outcome, but just so I don't have to see him in that shitty NJ uniform.

My prediction: Hart with his 1st NHL SO.
          4-0 good guys.
          TK with another goal, Jake, Nisk, and EN by Hayes.
          Bravo!!!! Very impressive!

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

Great game by the Flyers, crowd seemed to really be into it, what a save by Hart and that huge almost two minute 5 on 3 PK really swung the direction of the game I thought.

Hayes might not be the fleetest of foot but he is a beast on skates and has got some great hands and hockey IQ too.

Really enjoyed the game, really hating this f*king schedule!

Go Flyers Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Hookah_McGirk View Post

Hayes is strong on his skates and protects the puck well. Hartnell had crap balance.

Hayes plays a 200 foot responsible game and kills penalties. Hartnell did neither.

Hayes plays a composed game, controls plays and reads and executed plays. Hartnell never had the puck on his stick for very long.

The one penalty was based on habit and a rule change and I forget what the other one was....but all in all this guy is intelligent, good leadership and competes.

I do not see him turning into a lazy stupid player and expect him to have a huge positive impact.

Big guys that compete hard get called sometimes. Iím ok with that.
              well hartsy was good for us despite the narrative, 20/20-30/30 every year. had great rel corsi too. other penalty was a clumsy trip on subban, and the hand pass off faceoff rule is 2 years old now, he should be used to it.

but yea hayes is definitely visible on the ice...he looks so awkward on his skates tho it worries me as the games speed up during this season and as he ages over the course of his contract. also thats a lot of slowness at the center position. couts isn't fast but he doesn't look quite as awkward atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by Strohs72 View Post
                Great game by the Flyers, crowd seemed to really be into it, what a save by Hart and that huge almost two minute 5 on 3 PK really swung the direction of the game I thought.

Hayes might not be the fleetest of foot but he is a beast on skates and has got some great hands and hockey IQ too.

Really enjoyed the game, really hating this f*king schedule!

Go Flyers Go!
                You know things are going well when Strohs comes in with compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

well hartsy was good for us despite the narrative, 20/20-30/30 every year. had great rel corsi too. other penalty was a clumsy trip on subban, and the hand pass off faceoff rule is 2 years old now, he should be used to it.

but yea hayes is definitely visible on the ice...he looks so awkward on his skates tho it worries me as the games speed up during this season and as he ages over the course of his contract. also thats a lot of slowness at the center position. couts isn't fast but he doesn't look quite as awkward atleast.
                  Downer much!!
                  debbie

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post

Downer much!!
                    debbie
                    well i much prefer hayes to patrick at 2C, for right now atleast! just thinking long term here. there's no doubt the signing was an upgrade for this season.

Comment

I'm fine with Hayes at 2C. I'd rather have Laughton at 4C and someone else at 3C- Frost or Rubtsov- until Patrick is ready to return. Fourth line is the limit for Laughton. Offensively he adds little.
                      "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Working...
                      X