Phantoms lose their goalie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantoms lose their goalie

The New York Islanders signed former Phantoms goalie Scott Munroe to a one-year contract.

Munroe, who was undrafted, had been in the Flyers organization for four seasons. He’s been the Phantoms starter for the last two years, leading them to the Calder Cup playoffs both times. Munroe won 31 games last season with a 2.46 goals-against-average and had four shutouts. In 2007-2008, he won 18 games with a 2.29 GAA and four shutouts.

Jean-Sebastien Aubin was the only other goalie on the Phantoms roster at the end of last season. Aubin went 10-10 last season with a 3.36 GAA and no shutouts. Aubin, the 76th pick of the 1995 draft by Pittsburgh, has played parts of eight seasons in the NHL, most recently with the Los Angeles Kings in 2007-2008.

They also drafted two goalies: In the third round, they tabbed Adam Morrison from Saskatoon in the Western Hockey League.* He*is 18 and will not be eligible for the AHL this season.*In the fifth round, they grabbed 20-year-old*Nicola Riopel, who was MVP of the Quebec Major Junior League last season.

The Flyers have undergone a complete overhaul in their goaltending this off season. They signed Ray Emery out of Russia to replace Marty Biron as their No. 1 and signed Brian Boucher (a former Phantom) from San Jose to be the backup. They also fired long-time goaltending coach Reggie Lemelin.

As a life-long Philadelphian, I can tell you the Flyers have been long a goalie-obsessed (without much luck) organization. Amazing stat per Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers have picked 23 goalies in the last 16 drafts.*None of those have*turned into their No. 1 since Ron Hextall, who was drafted in 1982.

– Tim McManus

More...

bad move in my opinion. I hope Backlund's play transcends this move.
    - Viva la Dink!

“We were allowed to spend the money, we always tried to win,” Clarke said. “We didn’t do what Pittsburgh did; lose seven years in a row so they could get good. They did it twice, in fact. They went through six or seven different owners. We’ve had one owner.” ~ Bobby Clarke

Comment

Working...
    X