Phantoms nearing decision on coach; Paddock interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantoms nearing decision on coach; Paddock interview

I talked to new Flyers assistant general manager John Paddock about a wide-ranging set of topics this week. Here’s the bullet point version of what we covered. Paddock, who coached the*team last season,* is the organization’s point man on the Phantoms. Look for print stories in The Post-Star on Friday and Saturday.

On the coaching search:

–*Paddock said*the list of candidates has been*narrowed* to two or three finalists. Interviews are complete.*He expects an announcement within 10 days, possibly sooner.

– Paddock said*the candidates are*from outside of the organization. As a reporter*who grew up in Philadelphia following the Flyers, I find that surprising. The Flyers have a long history*of promoting from within.

– Paddock said the Flyers are looking for an “experienced” coach, i.e. someone who has coached at the AHL level or higher in the past. That seems to rule out a first-time coach.

– I asked if the organization was specifically looking for someone with ties to the Glens Falls area or the Adirondack Red Wings. Paddock said no, but indicated if the right candidate did that it could be a bonus. Bottom line, he said, they want the best person for the job.

On free agency/shape of the roster:

Paddock said most of the major moves are complete. If anyone else is added, it’s likely to be a defenseman.

– He’s impressed with the depth the organization has put together at forward. When you combine new additions like Jason Ward, Lukas Kaspar, and Krys Kolanos with the holdovers, he expects a lively training camp competition for a spot on the Flyers roster.

– The team will not add a goalie to replace Scott Monroe. Paddock said he expects things to sort out in training camp, but Johan Backlund, a 27-year-old signed out of the Sweedish Elite League in March*figures to get*a long look. My impression is that Backlund is the likely starter with one of the goalies the team drafted this year*as the back up.

– Paddock echoed what general manager Paul Holgrensaid here in May about James Van Riemsdyk, the Flyers second overall pick in 2007. He’ll have a chance to win an NHL job in camp, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing for him if he has to spend time at Adirondack. Paddock pointed to the example of Claude Giroux, who spent 33 games with the Phantoms last season before being called to the Flyers and excelling in the NHL in the second half of the season.

We covered more ground than that, including Paddock’s memories of*coaching in Glens Falls as a visitor and his feelings about his new job. But I have to save something for print. Look for more on that in Saturday’s paper.

– Tim McManus

More...
Working...
X