Postgame: Albany 2, Phantoms 1 (OT)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Albany 2, Phantoms 1 (OT)

Through the preaseason, most of our talk has centered around whether the Phantoms young defense and inexperienced goaltending would be a cause for concern. With the caveat that it’s still extraordinarily early, I put this to you: *should we be concerned about this team’s offense?

On paper, this is a team that should put the puck in the net plenty. But through five games, *the Phantoms have scored just 10 goals. Going into Saturday’s game, only two of the league’s 29 teams had scored fewer goals. The power play came in ranked 21st in the league and an 0 for 5 pushed it to 2 for 23 on the season.

Jared Ross, David Laliberte and Jon Matsumoto combined for 66 goals last season. So far this season they’re all scoreless.

Again, the caveat: it’s very early and the team has plenty of skill. They’re capable of coming out and putting up six on Sunday. *Maybe they need a game like that to break the bad momentum. No need to panic, but it’s an issue worth raising.

The team had chances. They outshot Albany 32-28. In the past, referring to the power play, coach Greg Gilbert has said he’d be concerned when the opportunities weren’t there. I’m not sure how he felt Saturday because he wasn’t out of the coaches’ room by the time my deadline arrived about 20 minutes after the game. I’ll be sure to follow up.

Nice job by the crowd tonight: 4,912. I’ve been told that early season Rats/Red Wings game in the past didn’t always draw 5,000, so to get into standing-room is a nice job. That figure will help the average.

Matt Clackson really relishes the role of enforcer. He went right after Benn Olson early in the game and pestered him until he dropped the gloves. Later, it looked like Clackson was seeking more action, but couldn’t find a partner.

I won’t be at the game Sunday in Bridgeport, but check back here late Sunday or early Monday for a recap of the weekend. The game will be broadcast on Q-101.7 FM and streaming online through the station and Phantom’s Web sites.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X