Postgame: Albany 3, Phantoms 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Albany 3, Phantoms 2

Sorry for the lack of online updating late in the game. Had to move down for interviews. The way the TU Center is set up, there’s no place to watch the game and get internet on the lower level where the locker rooms are located.

Two games against Albany, two one-goal losses, but this time Greg Gilbert was much unhappier with the effort.

On Friday, Gilbert talked about how the key to winning was to limit turnovers because Albany is a quick club that can make you pay in transition. So what happened? Albany’s final two goals come on transition plays, the last on a turnover, with forwards trapped deep in their own zone.

Here’s Gilbert on that:

“They’re details were better than ours. Turnovers killed us. Getting caught three-man deep killed us. those details the previous few games were a lot better than they were tonight and it cost us.”

That’s actually one of his tamer quotes. Here’s his take on the start, where the Phantoms got out of the first period tied at 1, but were outshot 16-10:

“There’s a reason we never have the lead. We weren’t prepared to play tonight, to be quite honest with you. Our first 20 minutes was terrible. It was non-physical, it was limited intensity and we weren’t willing to pay the price of battle as hard as Albany was.”

Like a commenter on the previous post, I was surprised too to see Nic Riopel in goal. But he needed work. He hasn’t played since Oct. 3. He wasn’t the problem. I can’t blame him for any of the goals. The winning goal came on a breakaway, the go-ahead on a three on one break.

Garrett Klotz didn’t score in 36 games with the Phantoms last year, but he now as *many as some of the Phantoms top scorers from last year. What do you read between the lines of this quote from Gilbert when I asked him about Klotz?

“That whole line for the most part was our best line along with Kalinski’s line for the entire game and the other guys have to look in the mirror and start to figure it out, because it seems the hardest working guys our are best lines. Everybody else better pick it up.”

Jon Matsumoto stayed hot. He had two assists, giving him five points in the last three games.

Stefan Legein looked good again, getting his first goal. He again almost created a shorthanded chance. I bet he gets one before the season is out.

The Jared Ross line didn’t have a good weekend. Playing with Andreas Nodl on the right wing in place of veteran scratch Jason Ward, the line was again scoreless. Ross, Nodl and Krys Kolanos were minus-2. Ross is minus-5 for the season.

Overall, the offense and power play are still scuffling. The Phantoms went 0 for 4 on the power play, making them 5 for 35 on the season. Their 19 goals are second-fewest in the AHL.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X