No announcement yet.

Postgame: Binghamton 5, Phantoms 0

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Binghamton 5, Phantoms 0

If you’re really pressed for time, you could probably just re-read my blog post from after the Albany game on Saturday.

The Phantoms had six days off, while Binghamton is at the end of a six-game road trip that saw them play twice in Norfolk earlier this week. Guess what team came out with more energy?

The Phantoms talked a lot this week about being mentally ready for the start of games. Jared Ross said that the locker room was hopping before the game; they were pumped.

But as soon as the Senators scored two ridiculously easy goals, you could see the heads hanging. They just weren’t the same team after that.

The Phantoms have given up the first goal in nine of their 13 games and have an AHL-low 29 goals. The next-lowest total is Syracuse’s 36. Pat Maroon hasn’t scored since Oct. 16. Ross hasn’t scored since *Oct. 18.*Together*they have three goals. They combined for 52 last year. The team won’t win consistently until they get going.

You can read Ross and Greg Gilbert’s opinions on that in the game story.

Couple other thoughts:

– How much did this team look like it missed a puck-moving defenseman like Oskars Bartulis in this game?

Johan Backlund has made a lot of spectacular saves this season. He made some Friday or it would have been a lot worse. But over the last two games, he’s had some trouble with clear-lane shots from the wing. He’s been beaten three times to the near post of the shooter. But there was really only one goal Friday he should have stopped that he didn’t.

– Call Jason Ward a semi-healthy scratch. In the game story, Gilbert said he’s not happy with his level of play, but also that he’s been dinged up a bit and could use a game to heal. Ward did leave practice gingerly on Friday, but I didn’t pursue it because he returned to finish the session.

Ross has played with a lot of different combinations this season as Gilbert tries to get that line going. His lastest linemate was David Laliberte, along with Andreas Nodl. Ross has also at times played with Jason Ward, Krys Kolanos, and the now-departed Lukas Kaspar.

I asked Ross is all the shuffling made it tough:

“At this level you shouldn’t really have too much of an issue with that. All the players are pretty skilled players. It’s definitely nice to have consistency on your line because you get to know the guys a lot better and know we’re they’re going to be at. Maybe it’s a little tough, but it’s something we should be able to adapt to at this level.”

Gilbert said the reason Laliberte played with Ross, instead of his usual spot with Pat Maroon and Jon Matsumoto, was that he wanted “a big body” on that side.

– In another new line, Josh Beaulieu centered the fourth line of Matt Clackson and Garrett Klotz. Ryan Dingle was scratched. I kind of liked the chemistry and energy of Dignle brought playing with Rob Bellamy.

Bellamy played on a new third line with Jon Kalinski and Krys Kolanos

With the team struggling to score, I wonder if it’s time to consider playing either one or the other when it comes to Clackson and Klotz?

So what did you all make of this one?

– Tim