Road report: Syracuse 5, Phantoms 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road report: Syracuse 5, Phantoms 2

Here’s the good news for the Phantoms: Stefan Legein has scored six goals in his last six games. Here’s the bad news: the Phantoms have only scored 13 goals during that span. That means he has nearly half the team’s goals going back to Nov. 28.

Legein’s certainly been a bright spot, but he can’t carry this team offensively alone.* I asked coach Greg Gilbert where the team would be without Legein’s offense after practice on Thursday.

“It’s good that he’s putting pucks in the net for us, but there are other guys on our team that we’re not happy with on their production and their commitment to scoring goals. Until they overcome that part of it they’ll still be stuck around two*and three goals after 20-something games.”

Coming into action Friday, Syracuse allowed an average of*3.77 goals per game. Seemed like a perfect chance for the Phantoms to turn it around.* Guess not.

Weird game. The Phantoms were outshot 22-5 after the first, but only trailed 1-0 on a strange goal scored by Grant Clitsome from his own end. He sent a long shot in and it took a funny bounce past Nic Riopel. On the second goal, Riopel felt he was interfered with.

– Don’t forget, expanded column/notes/stats package is now inside Saturday’s paper. Look for a full page.

– According to the radio broadcast Jon Matusmoto missed the first two shifts of the second period. There was no apparent injury. Matsumoto hasn’t scored in his last four games, his longest drought since opening the season without a goal in his first five.

– Defensemen Joonas Lehtivuori and Kevin Marshall returned from injury as did forward Josh Beaulieu. Logan Stephenson, injured last Saturday, did not.

– I forgot to mention this last weekend: the Phantoms are now using a power-play with four fowards and Krys Kolanos at the point.

– As I mentioned in our live chat the other night, we saw some different line combinations, like Krys Kolanos playing on a line with Jon Matsumoto and Pat Maroon. Legein and Jason Ward skated with Jared Ross.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X