Postgame: Phantoms 3, Penguins 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Phantoms 3, Penguins 2

So here’s a question I’ll throw out to my hockey buffs: How many pro games have been decided by a goal with .01 left? What a thrilling end. I cover all things related to Danny Syvret’s (second) miraculous game-winner in my game story, so I’ll take a pass here. But, wow. Anyone who stayed home because of the snow or to Christmas shop or NFL — and a lot did — will sure regret that decision.

The most imporant thing I saw this weekend was that Jared Ross and Pat Maroon look ready to emerge from their season-long scoring slumps. Ross had several chances the past two games and scored his first since Oct. 18. Maroon had two more assists to pad his team-leading total to 15 and probably hit two posts this weekend. He also made a terrific play on the winning goal, using his size and strength to win the puck from two Penguins behind the net.

The Phantoms are hovering around .500 (12-12-2-0) and are just two points out of the playoffs and four out of third place with those contributing little offensively. If they get going, this can be a dangerous team.

Quotes:

Someone told me recently that Syvret is a very mature, articulate guy. After talking to him for the first time on Sunday, I agree. Here’s his insight on a few things:

On what he saw as different from last year when he joined the Phantoms nine games ago:

“The biggest thing I think I noticed is we seem to get the puck and look up to make a play rather than moving with it. It just seemed like we*lacked the fluidness (sic) to know where guys were going to be. It looked like we always had to look up and check our options out. At that time, your options are closed off, your guy is on you already. The last couple of games we’ve done a better job of supporting the puck and knowing where our linemates are on the ice.”

On the team’s struggles:

*”When we play well, we win. It’s not like we play well and get beaten. We sort of beat ourselves. Our effort wasn’t really there, it didn’t seem like we were on the same page in our losses. When we play well, nine times out of 10 we’re going to win the game.”

On young defensive teammates:

“I really like playing with (Kevin) Marshall the last two games. I thought he did a real good job talking, communicating and it makes it so much easier when you have a supporting defense partner who’s talking, letting you know what’s going on when there’s pressure on it.”

Notes:

– Stefan Legein’sgoal streak ended at four consecutive games. It was tied for the longest current streak in the league heading into the game.

– The Phantoms win streak is at two. They’ve yet to win three in a row all season.

– I neglected to mention that Saturday’s seven goals were the most the team has scored in a game all season.

– Garrett Klotz was* scratched for just the second time this season.

– The Phantoms went the whole weekend without a fight. Would never have guessed that playing fight-loving Syracuse on Friday and then the same team back-to-back.

– Logan Stephenson is still out with an injury.

– Goalie John Grahame was in the building but did not dress for the game. He’ll wear No. 34.

– Phantoms are 8-4-2-0 at the Civic Center.

More...
Working...
X